Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Sunderland Match Thread - Saturday 25th Feb (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

This from a Sunderland fan in their board. I think this a pretty fair summary of the game

We started the game well and knocked it around with confidence and ease, but for a couple of sloppy moments. I think our set piece issue will resolve itself sooner rather than later as we're seeing two genuine threats getting on the end of crosses weekly now, and we were nearly rewarded when Batth hit the bar. A big concern though was that Coventry have no issues soaking up pressure and hitting teams with some penetrative attacks, and soon after the 15 minute mark that's what we began to see. They're by no means a long ball team but they have a good blend of technical and physical players who also make good decisions, and they were able to open us up on numerous occasions for the rest of the half.

We're a bit naive at times. We take risks playing it out from the back and along midfield and should continue to do so, however when it comes to the final third we too often became indecisive and lost momentum. There were times when we had them stretched and should have penetrated their defence with a through ball or better movement off the ball, but instead we kept possession and allowed them to regroup, meaning attacks often fizzled out.

Physically we were bullied at times. You have to accept that that will happen from time to time with the creative flair players that we have, however it gave them a platform today and they looked stronger than us. The ref might not have helped at times but without your red and white specs on, we were weak as piss.

Today showed that we were short up front. Gelhardt battled hard against their three centre backs but he was mostly fighting a losing battle as he doesn't have the physicality or experience to do that effectively yet. Stewart would have made a difference and that was made abundantly clear by their lad at the other end who I thought was absolutely terrific. Gyokeres has everything including strength, movement, ability on the ball and hold up play, and he deservedly got his goal at the end. We have two cracking centre backs and it was a good old battle but he certainly gave them the runaround at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyblu3sk

This is the funniest thing iv seen in a while

apparently we where in the refs face and kept surrounding the ref

🤣🤣🤣 they really need to learn the rules around handball. The reason the players don't move their hands out the way when by their side is if they hit the ball with a motion while trying to get their hands out the way it will definitely be judged hand ball. Secondly before their penalty shout the ball hit their players hand and it was out chest height in front of him and way more a handball than the others. The one I will give them is I'm surprised the challenge wasn't called up in the build up. The tackle was marginal but I think McNally handles the ball on the floor too.

Last edited:

alexccfc99

People can go on that it’s a social media rivalry etc

But every time we have played them under Robins - We have outfought and outplayed them, simply we want it more than them every time we play them - I honestly believe our players get themselves fired up for this fixture

Grendel

It doesn't matter what mark robins does for this club some fans will always treat him like a clueless dumb twat.

Now he's playing charity loans who he must believe are worse than kane and dabo but still plays them.

It's so disrespectful

Many think he’s a dumb twat for playing Jamie Allen every week

Evo1883

People can go on that it’s a social media rivalry etc

But every time we have played them under Robins - We have outfought and outplayed them, simply we want it more than them every time we play them - I honestly believe our players get themselves fired up for this fixture

I feel like the team have had to work hard in recent weeks as we've played 3 of the top 8 .. gotta work like that to get the results

Grendel

No, but I think pretty much everyone thought he would play in the Premier League. He looked a cut above the league during his small spell with us, so much so we were all hoping to sign him in the summer. I may be wrong but the only young loan outfield players I can remember having a top flight career after us was Jack Cork, Henderson, Warnock and Van Aarnholt, all of which looked above championship standard during their short time with us.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yes they did and to be fair Doyle is performing well enough and capable in this league

Evo1883

I just don’t get how people hate Jamie Allen, every time a Sunderland player was on the ball today he was all over them like a rash

His press is sublime and he works for the badge - can’t understand how much stick he gets

I'm with you

covcity4life

Many think he’s a dumb twat for playing Jamie Allen every week
And they would be idiots too. We can all pick our preferred 11 and it will differ but ccfc currently has no shite players and that's something to be proud of.

Robins picks the team and he gets it right more often than wrong. Those that backed kane have to just realise they got it wrong. He was never as good as some made out.

Just like me and bright. It didn't work out and robins was right not to play him. I'm not gonna sit here putting Palmer or Maguire etc down cos I'm bitter. It's immature behaviour

skyblu3sk

I just don’t get how people hate Jamie Allen, every time a Sunderland player was on the ball today he was all over them like a rash

His press is sublime and he works for the badge - can’t understand how much stick he gets
I think it's as much as he harries and puts them off a decent amount of the time they get the pass off still. He runs a hell of a lot and I don't think he's as bad as some make out. If he keeps adding goals it takes him slightly out the limited player category for me but I still don't see him above the championship.

Grendel

And they would be idiots too. We can all pick our preferred 11 and it will differ but ccfc currently has no shite players and that's something to be proud of.

Robins picks the team and he gets it right more often than wrong. Those that backed kane have to just realise they got it wrong. He was never as good as some made out.

Just like me and bright. It didn't work out and robins was right not to play him. I'm not gonna sit here putting Palmer or Maguire etc down cos I'm bitter. It's immature behaviour

So when robins signed Kane and last season played him several times last season he didn’t know what he was doing

yes very immature - so trying to get a response by saying some fans invested in “the great white hope Kane” is a mature argument is it?

Blind-Faith

Great performance from all the team today, you could tell they were up for it and they needed to be.

They had some very good players and the lad on loan from Utd looks a real prospect. Him and Ndiaye are the best players we’ve had at the CBS this season.

You notice the difference between our first season in the league and theirs, we had to fight tooth and nail for every point to stay up and build. I know theyve spent a bit of cash but they don’t look out of place and can see why they are where they are in the league.

Really enjoyable game of football to watch 👌

covcity4life

So when robins signed Kane and last season played him several times last season he didn’t know what he was doing

yes very immature - so trying to get a response by saying some fans invested in “the great white hope Kane” is a mature argument is it?
I've been very clear that I feel some put down black players on this forum. I have no doubt kane got plaudits because ppl wanted to put dabo down.

I don't give a fuck if I have no proof and I don't care who denies it. It's my opinion and I have posted it in the past.

Grendel

I've been very clear that I feel some put down black players on this forum. I have no doubt kane got plaudits because ppl wanted to put dabo down.

I don't give a fuck if I have no proof and I don't care who denies it. It's my opinion and I have posted it in the past.
Yet in another sport you mocked the black face in a sea of white in an elite sport and laughed at us all cheering him to near the big white Dutchman with very questionable views on ethnicity

The Great White Hope did well then I suppose

itsabuzzard

You accuse some posters of racism, and then say you don't give a fuck if you haven't got any proof. That's some statement.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Kane got plaudits because for a while he was decent and I'd imagine most people desperately wanted him to be better than Dabo because Dabo has been tripe for almost 2 years.
There are people on here for sure who always seem to have to have a player to moan about but I've seen nothing to suggest it's based on race. Sheaf for example was very unfairly treated for a long time despite being an obvious talent, Bidwell too has to put up with an unreasonable amount of crap.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Yet in another sport you mocked the black face in a sea of white in an elite sport and laughed at us all cheering him to near the big white Dutchman with very questionable views on ethnicity

The Great White Hope did well then I suppose
Yes everyone should be colour blind like me. Agreed!

TomRad85

Great day all around, added bonus that we've just found out there's a new addition to the family due. Got a new octopus that we're collecting in the morning. Very, very clever apparently. So excited. What a day.
You're getting a blue ring in the morning?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grendel

itsabuzzard

Great day all around, added bonus that we've just found out there's a new addition to the family due. Got a new octopus that we're collecting in the morning. Very, very clever apparently. So excited. What a day.
Congratulations! They are intelligent creatures. If you haven't already watched "My Octopus Teacher" , give it a go. If you don't shed a tear or two, then you've a heart of stone.

Greggs

Congratulations! They are intelligent creatures. If you haven't already watched "My Octopus Teacher" , give it a go. If you don't shed a tear or two, then you've a heart of stone.

You never, ever let me down. Thank you. Ridiculously good hunters apparently, looking forward to the adventures. Will be very interesting, especially now the crow and squirrel are banned from the house.

Gint11

Really pleased with the bite and aggression the team showed today. Good team performance with Fads and Gus solid games. Thought Palmer was decent first half. Norton Cuffy was our weak link today I think but improved as the game went on.

Vik missed two great chances first half although he pretty much created them himself. Sunderland were good on the ball but rarely did anything worthwhile with it. I thought the lad on the right wing with black hair was very good. Diallo was quiet but showed glimpses. I thought we deserved the win even with low possession. Wilson hardly had anything to do.
3 great wins on the bounce. Let’s break the Preston hoodoo Tuesday and you never know!

HerneBayGaz

This from a Sunderland fan in their board. I think this a pretty fair summary of the game

We started the game well and knocked it around with confidence and ease, but for a couple of sloppy moments. I think our set piece issue will resolve itself sooner rather than later as we're seeing two genuine threats getting on the end of crosses weekly now, and we were nearly rewarded when Batth hit the bar. A big concern though was that Coventry have no issues soaking up pressure and hitting teams with some penetrative attacks, and soon after the 15 minute mark that's what we began to see. They're by no means a long ball team but they have a good blend of technical and physical players who also make good decisions, and they were able to open us up on numerous occasions for the rest of the half.

We're a bit naive at times. We take risks playing it out from the back and along midfield and should continue to do so, however when it comes to the final third we too often became indecisive and lost momentum. There were times when we had them stretched and should have penetrated their defence with a through ball or better movement off the ball, but instead we kept possession and allowed them to regroup, meaning attacks often fizzled out.

Physically we were bullied at times. You have to accept that that will happen from time to time with the creative flair players that we have, however it gave them a platform today and they looked stronger than us. The ref might not have helped at times but without your red and white specs on, we were weak as piss.

Today showed that we were short up front. Gelhardt battled hard against their three centre backs but he was mostly fighting a losing battle as he doesn't have the physicality or experience to do that effectively yet. Stewart would have made a difference and that was made abundantly clear by their lad at the other end who I thought was absolutely terrific. Gyokeres has everything including strength, movement, ability on the ball and hold up play, and he deservedly got his goal at the end. We have two cracking centre backs and it was a good old battle but he certainly gave them the runaround at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair that's a decent summary. Not all Sunderland fans are bitter and twisted. In my opinion they were the best footballing team I've seen at the Arena, and that includes Norwich, and Burnley.

Travs

To be fair that's a decent summary. Not all Sunderland fans are bitter and twisted. In my opinion they were the best footballing team I've seen at the Arena, and that includes Norwich, and Burnley.

I said the same to a Sunderland fan today...

His response was to agree, and said that they get bullied by more streetwise teams (as we did to them in the first half, to an extent)

Users who are viewing this thread