1 win in... (1 Viewer)

WillenhallSkyBlues

15 league games. Is this really what we want in a manager who spends more time defending how the team plays then actually showing them tactics, after all he's only one winless game away from matching hoofroyds form of 1 win in 16 that got him the sack.

Maybe its time that we let andy thorn go back to watching whitley juniors u13's on a sunday morning and let an experienced manager come in to try and fix this sinking ship.

Otis

1. Yes, Thorn is making lots of mistakes, but look what he has to work with.

2. Who would want to come here with all the constraints we have and no money and only a wafer thin squad at his disposal?

3. We probably haven't got the money to pay Thorn compensation and you have to assume he isn't being paid that much at all, and we probably couldn't afford to bring someone half-decent in.

4. Why do we think a different manager could do much better? I do think a really good manager would get a bit more out of this team, but am not convinced it would be enough to get us out of the mess we are in.

5. Haven't we now learned our lesson that perpetually sacking our managers simply does not work! Why continue on that path? Surely we need to give Thorn much, much longer in charge. If we were to lose 10 games in a row and he showed himself to be totally incompetent then that would be the only time I feel we should look at his position, but even then we need to realise that we cannot continue chopping and changing managers at a whim.

Think it would be only if he showed himself to be totally incompetent before we should then start pointing the finger at him.

Last edited:

akira1984

1 do you think any manager would come here? I don't
2 admittedly its bad form but we have a tiny squad, inexperiance and no money. Relegation probably is the way we're heading
3 the tactics arnt too bad, I bet you wanted thorney when we had that decent run last season, how times change.

OyJimmy

15 league games. Is this really what we want in a manager who spends more time defending how the team plays then actually showing them tactics, after all he's only one winless game away from matching hoofroyds form of 1 win in 16 that got him the sack.

Maybe its time that we let andy thorn go back to watching whitley juniors u13's on a sunday morning and let an experienced manager come in to try and fix this sinking ship.

Andy Thorn doesn't even have the same quality of players Bothroyd had at his disposal! He's got little on the bench to change a game. And in some respects it could be argued we let Bothroyd go a bit early. So I really don't see your point

Otis

Besides, how long would you give the new manager if there was still no improvement?

Manager Of The Month is supposed to be an award for achievement. With CCFC it means a completely different thing and seems like a prerequisite of tenure.

Last edited:

Marty

The players are the only ones to blame, most of the season they have looked like a bunch of retards lost in a field.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The players are the only ones to blame, most of the season they have looked like a bunch of retards lost in a field.

I agree Marty. Once the players come out of that tunnel, there's not a lot Thorn can do (except shout a bit from the dugout!) Whatever is said on the training pitch has GOT to be taken onto the Match pitch and personally, I don't think it is half the time. The players just don't seem to want to play any more.

Nonleagueherewecome

100 % disagree with the OP. Not going to repeat what I said yesterday, it's pointless going over the same ground, other than to say it isn't AT's fault and AB had a better budget/squad.

But we do already have a Thorn Out thread-why not just add your bitter vitriol to that?

Koczkowski

if we do sack AT or if we do via some miracle sign a better (on paper) manager would you get rid of AT completely? i mean he was a very good scout for us (so i've heard) with good discoveries such as westwood, dann and fox and requesting henderson on loan... would he want to go back to his scouting role with the club who dismiss him as soon as we get a marginally better offer

ashbyjan

AT is doing as well as could be expected with the squad he has been allowed to have. He has been massively let down by the board, who having appointed him simply haven't backed him in any way shape or form (one 3rd division striker does not a season make) and by some of his senior players who have simply not stepped up to that plate and taken on any responsibility. McSheffrey, Baker and Bell are simply drifting through games, Clingan, our Captain, has been poor in recent matches - is he carrying a knock or still ill? Keough as ever plays with his heart on his sleeve, sometimes a bit too much and Cranie on the whole has been excellent. And as for Eastwood - if he has a problem sort it out - if the problem is apathy then sack him and use his wages elsewhere. The kids are what they are kids -and as such will have good moments, bad moments, will make mistakes but the bottom line is that we are relying on them too early and too heavily. Most teams will bring in one maybe two kids we are using Juke, Hussey, Bigi, Christie, Cameron and Thomas on a regular basis.
AT is trying to get the team to produce some decent football but he needs help from the board (fat chance) and the senior professional to step up and lead by example.

Macca

So what we are saying is that the current team sits in its rightful position in the league and that the manager can do nothing about it?

If so prepare for relegation because it won't be improved

I think that team should be good enough to be out of the relegation zone at least

Macca

Without doubt the board is the root of the problem, but I still think AT needs to get more out of this side.

AT has probably done the best out of all this because he is beyond criticism it seems

Without doubt the board is the root of the problem, but I still think AT needs to get more out of this side.

AT has probably done the best out of all this because he is beyond criticism it seems

I don't think he could get more out of them. Team spirit is high as is work ethic with the majority of players. The coach could possibly coach a bit better, but the manager seems to be doing a fantastic job of managing what he has to work with.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I don't think he could get more out of them. Team spirit is high as is work ethic with the majority of players. The coach could possibly coach a bit better, but the manager seems to be doing a fantastic job of managing what he has to work with.
I'm inclined to disagree slightly. I cannot help but feel the manager and coach should have more than 1 formation in mind. If the favoured diamond doesn't work, Thorn does seem to come unstuck. I know formations aren;t the be-all and end-all but they do make a difference as was shown to an extent vs. Ipswich and I do agree Thorn can improve there. That aside, trying to get good football out of a mix of average and good players.

I just feel that the Coach should be helping out this inexperienced manager more. The Coach should suggest formations that he thinks will work and different styles of play, lest not forget that he is the one with experience.

Otis

I recall AB giving Harrison a lot of credit for changes we made that were a success.

smileycov

Facebook User
So what we are saying is that the current team sits in its rightful position in the league and that the manager can do nothing about it?

If so prepare for relegation because it won't be improved

I think that team should be good enough to be out of the relegation zone at least

In all honesty, 3 matches that IMO were beyond the control of AT have made a massive difference; Reading - missed penalty last kick of the game 2 points, Crystal palace - lost 2 goals through bad defending in final minutes 1/3 points, and blackpool - poor defending again, 2 points. 5-7 points would have made a massive difference to our league posistion, i agree AT has made errors, but the whole board/transfer/money situation IS AFFECTING THE PLAYERS and the manager. so sack him, not at all. It's not great but he is doing okay. We need a slice of luck and we certainly need to get behind the team. If we get relegated it will not be beacuse AT is crap,. it will be beacuse we have no squad and no help in getting anyone else in.

Macca

In all honesty, 3 matches that IMO were beyond the control of AT have made a massive difference; Reading - missed penalty last kick of the game 2 points, Crystal palace - lost 2 goals through bad defending in final minutes 1/3 points, and blackpool - poor defending again, 2 points. 5-7 points would have made a massive difference to our league posistion, i agree AT has made errors, but the whole board/transfer/money situation IS AFFECTING THE PLAYERS and the manager. so sack him, not at all. It's not great but he is doing okay. We need a slice of luck and we certainly need to get behind the team. If we get relegated it will not be beacuse AT is crap,. it will be beacuse we have no squad and no help in getting anyone else in.

Have never said sack him, just saying that himself and the players are not beyond criticism just because we have piss poor owners. Bad defending it would seem is a common theme, is that not an issue for the gaffer to deal with? If not why have a manager at all?

ashbyjan

Cranie and Clingan are obviously off, either in Jan or summer so how high is their motivation?
Juke is probably thinking "if only" about the possible move that was muted and is probably pissed off
Bell is obviously playing with a hernia caused by laughing so hard when he was offered a new four year contract.
We need a leader and we don't have one
AT is being let down by the senior players and the board - he is a decent enough manager but he is no miracle worker and that's what we need.

torchomatic

Maybe you should do some research and read up on who THorn has brought to the Club. Failing that, just continue to slag him off.

Maybe you should do some research and read up on who THorn has brought to the Club. Failing that, just continue to slag him off.

On the flip side. Since he's been a manager he has bought in 3 players. Cody who so far has been a disaster. Murphy jury is out and Dunn seems like he has a decent future but so far based on signings as a manager his decsion making has been poor.

torchomatic

I'm sorry but this is why we will never get anywhere. A player is labelled a "disaster" after two games. No wonder players would rather go to Barnsley or Peterborough than here.

On the flip side. Since he's been a manager he has bought in 3 players. Cody who so far has been a disaster. Murphy jury is out and Dunn seems like he has a decent future but so far based on signings as a manager his decsion making has been poor.

I said so far he has been. Is that wrong?

The fact he hasn't played at all the last 2 games is worrying even more so players like Odonavan been favoured instead.

torchomatic

To me it is, yes. TWO GAMES.

We have a lot of supporters who has unrealisted expectations of new players. If a striker doesn't score a hatful on his debut then he is a "waste of money", "a disaster, etc".

If we won every game 5-0, there would be City fans moaning that it wasn't six. I'm sick of you all, to be honest.

I said so far he has been. Is that wrong?

torchomatic

Maybe not, but I'm surrounded by them in the Telegraph.

a couple of posts don't reflect the views of a cubs entire support though surely

To me it is, yes.

We have a lot of supporters who has unrealisted expectations of new players. If a striker doesn't score a hatful on his debut then he is a "waste of money", "a disaster, etc".

If we won every game 5-0, there would be City fans moaning that it wasn't six. I'm sick of you all, to be honest.

well Thorn must have lost confidence himself in the signing. Usually a new player would be starting but this hasn't been the case. Fans moan because we have nothing to cheer about. Apart from a cup run and night in Manchester 4 years ago what have we had to cheer about?

torchomatic

We have nothing to cheer about. I've been going since '72 and remember one good season. That's it. However, I will go until the day I drop dead because I support my team. Do I want more. Yes? Will, I get it? Probably not. So until then....

We have nothing to cheer about. I've been going since '72 and remember one good season. That's it. However, I will go until the day I drop dead because I support my team. Do I want more. Yes? Will, I get it? Probably not. So until then....

Exactly so if fans have nothing to cheer about they going to be frustrated. I’d put myself in the passionate bracket, i will support the boys but if i feel unhappy with what i see i’ll vent my anger.

ashbyjan

Our best players are always the ones who are not in the side and once actually playing they become dire and crap. Murphy who hasn't actually done much wrong is obviously rubbish and Dunn who made one save in an uneventful 45 minutes is a budding international. McDonald, who has had no pre-season and is obviously not 100% match fit doesn't slam in a hatrick on his debut and is immediately written off and Platt is labelled as the new saviour until he plays and doesn't score then he becomes crap and so it goes on. McPake is the best centre back at the club - or at least he will be until he actually plays.
Whoever is wearing the Sky Blue shirt deserves our 100% support - slagging them off and cheering their substitution is pathetic and counter productive. Slag them off after the game but during the actual match support them.

Our best players are always the ones who are not in the side and once actually playing they become dire and crap. Murphy who hasn't actually done much wrong is obviously rubbish and Dunn who made one save in an uneventful 45 minutes is a budding international. McDonald, who has had no pre-season and is obviously not 100% match fit doesn't slam in a hatrick on his debut and is immediately written off and Platt is labelled as the new saviour until he plays and doesn't score then he becomes crap and so it goes on. McPake is the best centre back at the club - or at least he will be until he actually plays.
Whoever is wearing the Sky Blue shirt deserves our 100% support - slagging them off and cheering their substitution is pathetic and counter productive. Slag them off after the game but during the actual match support them.

So how is McDonald going to get match fit if he doesn't play?? By the time the Forest game comes along, it'll be almost 4 weeks from his last kick of a ball. Murphy has looked shaky with his coming from crosses and kicking. Maybe im been over critical cause we’ve been used to class keepers over the years.
When a club has next to no money, signings will be scrutinized even more.

ashbyjan

I agree with you about McDonald as not having a reserve team there is no other way to get him match fit other than play him and personally would rather have a 25% fit Cody than a 100% fit ROD or Platt. He showed he does have an awareness in front of goal, even if he did fluff a couple of chances, and needs to play to gain fitness and build up an understanding with Juke. These two are vital if we have any hope of surviving. Murphy doesn't inspire confidence but hasn't actually cost us that many points - as you say we have been spoilt by Westy and others - just console yourself that it could have been Konstantopulos in between the sticks instead.

I agree with you about McDonald as not having a reserve team there is no other way to get him match fit other than play him and personally would rather have a 25% fit Cody than a 100% fit ROD or Platt. He showed he does have an awareness in front of goal, even if he did fluff a couple of chances, and needs to play to gain fitness and build up an understanding with Juke. These two are vital if we have any hope of surviving. Murphy doesn't inspire confidence but hasn't actually cost us that many points - as you say we have been spoilt by Westy and others - just console yourself that it could have been Konstantopulos in between the sticks instead.

or the Italian we had that night against Tranmere when he conceded 5 lol what was it nuzzo? or something along them lines

Users who are viewing this thread