10 years ago (1 Viewer)

Walsgrave

We finished on 55 points albeit in a slightly lower 18th place. That was the season before the catastrophe of 2011/12.

Are people convinced that the structure of the club is better now than back then to consolidate in the Championship rather than to suffer from 'second season syndrome'?

If I remember correctly recruitment was very poor in the summer of 2011, and we lost the spine of our team in the expiry of the contracts/sale of Kieran Westwood, Ben Turner, Aron Gunnarsson and Marlon King.

Last edited:

SleepyGinger

I honestly think that no matter who leaves we will continue to progress. We have had almost a completely different team in each of the 4 seasons robins has been here and we have continued to improve.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We finished on 55 points albeit in a slightly lower 18th place. That was the season before the catastrophe of 2011/12.

Are people convenient that the structure of the club is better now than back then to consolidate in the Championship rather than to suffer from 'second season syndrome'?

If I remember correctly recruitment was very poor in the summer of 2011, and we lost the spine of our team in the expiry of the contracts/sale of Kieran Westwood, Ben Turner, Aron Gunnarsson and Marlon King.
And replaced them with Chris Dunn, Joe Murphy and Cody McDonald... other than Murphy, stellar transfer window that

CDK

Our identity is so much clearer, from an recruitment department to a set way of playing with a plan b and all the squad has bought into it creating a great team spirit.

fatso

Looking forward to MR improving the squad,

we may loose Hamer, but I think we will invest some of the money wisely and with good recruitment, and a return to our home stadium, and starting the season without being hampered by an extended break, I'm confident we can improve our league position.

South West Sky Blue

I seem to remember we relied heavily on Marlon King at the time, and he left. Sounds similar to 2000 / 2001 when we had lost our top two goal scorers, Keane and McAllister. Relegations followed both.
2020 / 2021 has been different. Lots of different goal-scorers. The person we relied on most heavily (not necessarily for goals) in the first half of the season was Hamer. We proved we could live without him at the end of the season. Slightly concerned about the prospect of not having Matty James and Hamer. I'd worry a bit if this was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread