Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Someone posted today (or may have been last night) saying that if we draw on Saturday we don't deserve to go up, even though a draw gets us into the play-offs.

I said Robins had to get us into the play-offs as a minimum. Draw on Saturday and he will have achieved that and it would be job done.

Do feel we were more than capable of top 3 though.

It's always easy to say you should have been a few places higher. Reality say you could have also been a few places lower. The thing about achieving progress is about building momentum.

So the final position isn't the most important thing. Last year we were relegated but had a Wembley final. This year play offs?

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
It's always easy to say you should have been a few places higher. Reality say you could have also been a few places lower. The thing about achieving progress is about building momentum.

So the final position isn't the most important thing. Last year we were relegated but had a Wembley final. This year play offs?
Indeed, I really think fans need to grasp the turnaround. It was from December 2015 a team that won less than 30% of its games. Forget all the stuff about where we should be according to our place.
What has impressed me with Robins is:
Adapted to injuries
Signings more successes than not
Got us back on track after bad runs
Kept faith in McNulty
Took the team through 4 rounds of the cup, like getting to a semi final if we were a higher level side

Reactions: vow

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
Indeed, I really think fans need to grasp the turnaround. It was from December 2015 a team that won less than 30% of its games. Forget all the stuff about where we should be according to our place.
Adapted to injuries
Kept faith in McNulty
Took the team through 4 rounds of the cup, like getting to a semi final if we were a higher level side

Absolutely.

I think if you put this season into context, a 7th place finish is good. No better, no worse. We didn’t hit the target of autos, but to have the injuries we’ve had, I think it is the difference, to labour the point yet again.

But also, look at what’s happened to the other relegated teams, Chesterfield are relegated, Port Vale are 19th and Swindon will finish lower than us. Whatever happens, we’ll finish the highest of all the relegated teams and that’s worth something, especially Swindon. I think both us and Swindon could well be challenging for promotion if we don’t get promoted this yes...

itsabuzzard

Jul 16, 2017
Drew? WTF??
I have enjoyed this season on the whole (choose not to go for the first third) and we've had some great high points (including the cup run) amongst some lows (FGR etc). One thing to remember though is that we have lost a third of our games, luckily for us we haven't drew many.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Oct 12, 2015
Mansfield probably underachieved the most, as they were hot favourites pre season.

Yes Mansfield have underachieved. But that title surely gos to Chesterfield. Finishing bottom. There's no way anyone expected them to be where they are. Considering their tidy stadium and support at league 2 level.

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
Yes Mansfield have underachieved. But that title surely gos to Chesterfield. Finishing bottom. There's no way anyone expected them to be where they are. Considering their tidy stadium and support at league 2 level.
If it was just down to a tidy stadium and good support we would already be promoted. Our home stadium is tidy. And our away support is fantastic for this level. It would be much higher if we could have more tickets.

Relegation normally brings a lower budget. Best players are lost. Confidence is down. Attendances are normally down. And it frequently takes a few seasons at least to sort out what has gone wrong. And quite often as we have seen ourselves you continue on the downwards slope.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah, true. Big surprise. Forgot about them.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Adapted to injuries
Kept faith in McNulty
Yes, it is a turnaround, but you have to remember we went down a division an are on a much more level playing field down here.

We would expect to do well in this division. No offence, but it's bloody awful.

Would say more stopped the rot than a turnaround.

D

Deleted member 2477

Isnt it funny how the op has gone very quiet again. He only posts some crap about mr when we lose and is as quiet as a mouse when we are doing well.
I dont know why posters even bother replying to him and Im sure if the worst case senario happpens on Saturday his troll head will appear again calling for Robins to go

Reactions: Londonccfcfan

robbiekeane

May 13, 2016
Isnt it funny how the op has gone very quiet again. He only posts some crap about mr when we lose and is as quiet as a mouse when we are doing well.
I dont know why posters even bother replying to him and Im sure if the worst case senario happpens on Saturday his troll head will appear again calling for Robins to go
You are literally describing your own reputation

zuni

Feb 16, 2011
i am naive i know...but we still get bigger crowds than virtually all the other clubs in our league so why don't we have the best budget...i know we don't get food / drink money but compared to the others and our ticket sales Vs a few sausage rolls and a pint...surely we should be? is this the SISU % charge on us that is holding us back? our rent is peppercorn in my view...just doesn't make sense

Reactions: Captain Dart

steve cooper

Dec 6, 2017
It's how you measure progress, we have the 3rd best defensive record, only ruined by conceding 10 goals in 2 stupid games, and a striker in with a realistic chance of being the league's top scorer going in to the final game. Normally we collapse after Christmas, we haven't this year. Many reasons to be optimistic IMO.

Reactions: vow

Captain Dart

Oct 26, 2013
Let's face it most Coventry fans base their whole seasons expectation on supposition. Glorifying new signings before they have played. Lambasting players for the slightest mistake. Casting off McNulty after 8 games when he has weighed in with 22 goals. I am bored with the petty post match dramas on here, which only highlights the lack of knowledge our fans have (loyal as they might be). I thought we could have done better but; are where I thought we would be. But also weren't Exeter, Notts County and Lincoln expected to do better?

Let's not forget to say well done Accrington!!
Most fans base their opinion on the last game, win and we are world beaters, lose sack the manager and the board.. etc..

Reactions: better days

Adge

Jun 26, 2015
Most fans base their opinion on the last game, win and we are world beaters, lose sack the manager and sack the board whatever....
Corrected for you.:emoji_thumbsup:

steve82

Feb 29, 2016

If it was just down to a tidy stadium and good support we would already be promoted. Our home stadium is tidy. And our away support is fantastic for this level. It would be much higher if we could have more tickets.

Relegation normally brings a lower budget. Best players are lost. Confidence is down. Attendances are normally down. And it frequently takes a few seasons at least to sort out what has gone wrong. And quite often as we have seen ourselves you continue on the downwards slope.

Chesterfield apparently we’re victims of a few players on poorly thought out contracts and poor managerial appointments namely Dean Saunders who started the slump and years of decline as the next manager was still hamstrung by the previous managers mistakes who was snookered by Dean Saunders errors.

A proof in the pudding that stability with the right manager is key.

Northampton are another who could be hard done after last summers investment and JFH trying his way bolstering the squad in January. There Chinese investors won’t of banked on relegation when they set out a budget that was better than where they will finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread