16,000 where were you? (3 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

Not so easy to arrange for a one-off when they move it to Friday.

Also not so much point to arrange as a one-off if it's on the telly.

You could argue the habit clearly hasn't been broken for some, as we're back to exactly the same as before we left in terms of crowds... in other words, a scaled up Sixfields!

But... for there to be that big a drop in a week means if that's not just the exception, a one-off, there's a danger that we're looking forward to 8,000 rattling round in January and February.

And then our ground will indeed be too big for us!

Hopefully by January and February many will have gotten back into the habit of going again and the team will be doing well.

Otis

Gillingham was a "be there" game. How many families went with kids? Never seen so many. They won't go every week.

I'm sorry but I can't get the posters who say they go to watch Coventry city. Well obviously we all do. But surely who we plays matters? Please agree with that. It's the same at every club and has been throughout history. Why do clubs catorgory games for?
Why do attendances increase when we get a big team or a local derby? It's fregin because of the opposition. It can't be that hard to comprehend surely?

No, I can't entirely agree with that.

I recall having a big row with a close friend when we were playing Chelsea. He kept going on and on about Chelsea at home and I said the bigger game was Sheff Utd in the league, but he was adamant it was Chelsea.

I felt much more inclined to go to the Sheff Utd match than I did to go to the Chelsea one. The Sheff Utd one was the bread and butter game, the league match. The Chelsea game was just a sideshow.

I do indeed go to watch Coventry City. Whoever we play is secondary to that. Yesterday i was really excited about the game because I believed we would win. Didn't care in the slightest if it was Yeovil or whoever.

It's nice to beat teams when they have a large away following, but that is entirely secondary and I have never, ever looked at a game and gone 'Oh, it's only Burton in the JPT.' I have just wanted to be there to watch Coventry City and watch us hopefully win the game.

Grendel

Surely it wasn't that much of a surprise.

What do you all think city fans have been doing with their Saturday afternoons for the last 16 months? People have found other things to do, and you cant just click your fingers and expect them all to come running back. The only way they will come back is through good football, good results, encouragement (ie none of this I'm a better fan than you shite), and Tim Fisher keeping his fat gob shut.

It has been said on here by many that it would be unreasonable to expect the club to host games at a few weeks notice without a few teething problems. Yet we expect people to all come flocking back at a few weeks notice? Many will have new hobbies, plans, made promises to family members.

Not everyone just sat in a chair hoping that one day their club might come back, some people moved on.

Odd they can be do free and easy on a Friday night

Kingokings204

I fully respect your post and I am the same but we are ccfc through and through and your mate is like the rest.

People like you mate will always look at and go to games with the bigger teams. We will go to ccfc games whatever but a lot more I.e the city will only turn up for a big team or fair weather or special offer ticket prices. That's just how it is.

NorthernWisdom

I fully respect your post and I am the same but we are ccfc through and through and your mate is like the rest.

People like you mate will always look at and go to games with the bigger teams. We will go to ccfc games whatever but a lot more I.e the city will only turn up for a big team or fair weather or special offer ticket prices. That's just how it is.

If they *only* turn up for the ticket offer games, there's no real reason for making the offers in the first place.

Otis

I know and I accept that. I just can't get my head around losing 16,000 fans in one single week though. That for me is just incredulous.

speedie87

Got to admit I was embarrassed by the attendance yesterday.

Wish I'd gone to sixfields now, I missed having a season ticket for the first time since the 70's thinking it was for common good to help get the team back so the people of coventry could see them play? What did the majority of people sacrifice yesterday?

Saying that i would have been happy with 20k for gills and 16k yesterday so if u average te 2 gates it's not so bad.

Price wise I think they should have charged for price last Friday as people would have gone regardless and done the cheaper tickets for yesterday.

Fingers crossed for 16k against Preston.

Kingokings204

If they *only* turn up for the ticket offer games, there's no real reason for making the offers in the first place.

Maybe. But it works though doesn't it? Crewe and gillingham both sold out so the proof is in the pudding. I know what you're saying though.

Kingokings204

I know and I accept that. I just can't get my head around losing 16,000 fans in one single week though. That for me is just incredulous.

Well losing 16k is silly but with all of the problems we have had maybe expect it. The queues were a joke yesterday. I would like to think it should be over 15k against preston with keep winning and payday for a few.

Nick

Administrator
It is interesting also that people moaning about pricing etc are some of the ones who were more vocal about the Sixfields move and boycotting etc.

Evans1883

The club in my opinion have got to do more to get people in , isnt that what business is about , its all good them sitting back and expecting bigger crowds .
for starters they need to get season tickets on DD again for people .
regardless of what is said we dont need to follow suit and should offer a bettr price at the arena for matchday tickets , a standard zone ticket should be £18 flat out and kids a fiver max .
the club should consider 5 match packages , where an adult can watch 5 matches for £80on the standard area , marginally more than a ST holder , add your child for the extra £20 pound to make 100 pound , 5 matches adult and child 100 , thats 20 pound a match for both .
the club simply need to do more , after all , football is supposed to be about family , community aswell as profit surely

Otis

The club in my opinion have got to do more to get people in , isnt that what business is about , its all good them sitting back and expecting bigger crowds .
for starters they need to get season tickets on DD again for people .
regardless of what is said we dont need to follow suit and should offer a bettr price at the arena for matchday tickets , a standard zone ticket should be £18 flat out and kids a fiver max .
the club should consider 5 match packages , where an adult can watch 5 matches for £80on the standard area , marginally more than a ST holder , add your child for the extra £20 pound to make 100 pound , 5 matches adult and child 100 , thats 20 pound a match for both .
the club simply need to do more , after all , football is supposed to be about family , community aswell as profit surely

Well bring a kid for a quid would be a good start. Full price for adult, bring a kid with your for a pound. We need to think about the next generation of City fans anyway don't we.

NorthernWisdom

On the plus side, we obviously threw Yeovil's preparations:thinking about:

Gary Johnson said:
It will be fantastic for the boys. All footballers have to handle the pressure of playing in front of the paying public because you owe it to them as they have paid to watch you perform. On this occasion there will be 20-odd thousand paying to watch them perform and they have got to produce. It will tell us a lot about our team on Saturday... Everyone prefers to play in front of 20,000

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk...wd-Coventry/story-22917068-detail/story.html?

Evans1883

Well bring a kid for a quid would be a good start. Full price for adult, bring a kid with your for a pound. We need to think about the next generation of City fans anyway don't we.
I agree , bradford gained an extra 5000 season ticket holders by making ST prices 199 a couple seasons back

bigfatronssba

It doesn't work though if they never come back.

It can do, as I put in another post, my Mum has been to 2 games since 1971. She brought me and my brother to those two games, who have since been to hundreds between us since then. We probably didn't return instantly, but over the years we did.

Loads of kids at the game last week, think how many of them have been converted into life long fans. They might not return straight away as they can only do as their parents allow them, but when they are older they will be paying fans.

Tank Top

To survive at the Ricoh though this just isn't going to do it.

We need to and have to increase the numbers going through the turnstiles. The support is there in the city, we know it is. Too many though only wish to come out of the woodwork for big games.

It is very disappointing to see the huge drop in the attendance and something has to be done about that in order for us to survive and move forwards as a club.

Good Morning Otis.
The point that a lot of posters seem to be missing, is that the gates havn' t Fallen Since "the Clubs" self imposed exile to North hampton, but have remained, very much on a par, the trouble is that a lot of fans have interpreted the Carnival like turnout on our return to the Ricoh, as a new Yardstick by which to measure future attendances , this was never going to be realistic, it was a token one off,on a positive note, 10,000 more people yesterday turned out to watch "Coventry City"play at Their Proper home Venue, Rather than Sixfields,a point proved I think, by the fans who stayed away.and a big round of applause to them, the stauch
Boycott and fans protests were instrumental in in telling Tim Fisher and his paymasters, if he thought he could bully Sky blue supporters into submission, he was making a very big error of judgement.
Lets all be proud of what we have achieved so far, and that is getting the Sky Blues playing back in Coventry, a magnificent effort, thank you all.

Gates, i,m sure will improve along with results, patience is needed now, and I would rather see people encouraged to return, rather than told they are lousy Stay aways.
By the way, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think that sky Blues were narowly beaten into third place in the div 1 attendances yesterday,not bad for a club thats been absent for twelve months.
PUSB.......Tankie

bigfatronssba

It is interesting also that people moaning about pricing etc are some of the ones who were more vocal about the Sixfields move and boycotting etc.

Equally interesting is those who were most vocal in defending an individuals right to attend sixfields or not without criticism are now criticising fans for not turning up.

Evans1883

The key however, is whether they stay once prices revert.
If you look at it , lets say bradford had 6000 ST holders at 350pound , then 11000 at 199 pound , they are not really losing out on money as they never fill the stadium , like us , and its more bums on seats .
if the ticket dmqnd was there then they wouldnt need to do that offer , however after 1-2 seasons at that price coupled with a promotion and wembley , they maintained the season ticket sales even with an increase in price

Astute

We didn't lose 16k fans. The problem is we didn't gain 16k from having a game with cheap tickets. Some are talking as though we expect27k to turn up as it is our usual gate.

And I prefer to play teams that we should beat. It is a long drive home aftet a heavy defeat....although we always seem to lose the games we should win.

bigfatronssba

Good Morning Otis.
The point that a lot of posters seem to be missing, is that the gates havn' t Fallen Since "the Clubs" self imposed exile to North hampton, but have remained, very much on a par, the trouble is that a lot of fans have interpreted the Carnival like turnout on our return to the Ricoh, as a new Yardstick by which to measure future attendances , this was never going to be realistic, it was a token one off,on a positive note, 10,000 more people yesterday turned out to watch "Coventry City"play at Their Proper home Venue, Rather than Sixfields,a point proved I think, by the fans who stayed away.and a big round of applause to them, the stauch
Boycott and fans protests were instrumental in in telling Tim Fisher and his paymasters, if he thought he could bully Sky blue supporters into submission, he was making a very big error of judgement.
Lets all be proud of what we have achieved so far, and that is getting the Sky Blues playing back in Coventry, a magnificent effort, thank you all.

Gates, i,m sure will improve along with results, patience is needed now, and I would rather see people encouraged to return, rather than told they are lousy Stay aways.
By the way, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think that sky Blues were narowly beaten into third place in the div 1 attendances yesterday,not bad for a club thats been absent for twelve months.
PUSB.......Tankie

Good points.

If you look at the average for proper home games (i.e. played in Coventry), we are currently averaging 19,196. Best in league 1, and better than 14 championship clubs.

NorthernWisdom

If you look at it , lets say bradford had 6000 ST holders at 350pound , then 11000 at 199 pound , they are not really losing out on money as they never fill the stadium , like us , and its more bums on seats .
if the ticket dmqnd was there then they wouldnt need to do that offer , however after 1-2 seasons at that price coupled with a promotion and wembley , they maintained the season ticket sales even with an increase in price

Bradford's co-chairman admits the club subsidises the cheap season tickets, and that this can't happen indefinitely.

NorthernWisdom

We didn't lose 16k fans. The problem is we didn't gain 16k from having a game with cheap tickets. Some are talking as though we expect27k to turn up as it is our usual gate.

And I prefer to play teams that we should beat. It is a long drive home aftet a heavy defeat....although we always seem to lose the games we should win.

Nobody, but nobody is talking about expecting 27,000 every week. Don't be ridiculous.

Otis

Good Morning Otis.

PUSB.......Tankie

Just think the 'carnival' feelgood factor and excitement around the city of having the club home should have extended past one single game. All we did yesterday was revert to pre Sixfields attendances once again.

I was truly expecting the first 3 or 4 home games to have very good attendances and then it would have been dependant on how the team were doing on the field as to how they transpired after.

I don't think it at all unreasonable to have expected a crowd of 15,000 there yesterday.

We are on a great unbeaten run too. Worries me greatly that if we have a big slump in form, what the crowds are going to be come freezing Winter temperatures oin a Tuesday night.

Yesterday was great weather and we should all still be filled with euphoria over our return to our home city.

Grendel

Anyway this whole notion people have found other things to do is nonsense.

It's the fact everyone is doing exactly what they've always done - claiming they "support" their team from the comfort of their armchair.

As for looking at who you are playing - I don't get that at all.

Nick

Administrator
Equally interesting is those who were most vocal in defending an individuals right to attend sixfields or not without criticism are now criticising fans for not turning up.

Or making a point that so many fans wanted the club back and were outraged yet aren't that fussed about going when we do get back?

I could totally understand why people wouldn't go to Sixfields and when people said they didnt think it was right so wouldnt step foot in there, now we are back though what is stopping them? People have the right not to go, but if they were moaning about their life being ruined etc because of their club being taken away then it kind of nulls that if they don't bother when back doesn't it?

I respect people like Otis, LAST and the many others on here because they said they wouldnt ever go to Sixfields (well inside it) but as soon as we come home they will be at as many games as they can. If people can't afford every single game then they can't afford it, they should never get into debt to feed the habit and I don't think anybody is saying that at all.

It is the thousands of people who wanted us home and now we are home aren't actually that bothered and some of the excuses like it depends on who the opposition are are pathetic. Who looks and thinks "oh it is Yeovil, I am not going to support my team today because we aren't playing a big club".

Of course the club should be doing things for season tickets like payment schemes and monthly payments but if they did then how many more would we get? Even if it got 400 more season ticket holders it would be a good move but it won't get another 6-7000 I don't think.

People mention ticket pricing, we had a fiver a ticket in the JPT and there weren't that many there against Burton or Sheff Utd so surely if people are struggling for money then they should have been chomping at the bit to get to those ones as they are only £5?

Evans1883

Bradford's co-chairman admits the club subsidises the cheap season tickets, and that this can't happen indefinitely.
How .. When if you do the maths , its basically the same
edit . It is lower , but probably tickets they would t have sold else

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Just think the 'carnival' feelgood factor and excitement around the city of having the club home should have extended past one single game. All we did yesterday was revert to pre Sixfields attendances once again.

I was truly expecting the first 3 or 4 home games to have very good attendances and then it would have been dependant on how the team were doing on the field as to how they transpired after.

Likewise. These are the good times!:pimp:

bigfatronssba

Or making a point that so many fans wanted the club back and were outraged yet aren't that fussed about going when we do get back?

I could totally understand why people wouldn't go to Sixfields and when people said they didnt think it was right so wouldnt step foot in there, now we are back though what is stopping them? People have the right not to go, but if they were moaning about their life being ruined etc because of their club being taken away then it kind of nulls that if they don't bother when back doesn't it?

But people have gone back.

2012/13 average: 10948

Yesterday: 11085

Both games back at the Ricoh have had a higher crowd than a average 2012/13 game.

Who are these people you have claimed to moaned about the club not being there who now aren't supporting the club? How many marched, about 7k? How many went to the "big" games at Arsenal and MK, about 6k?

Those that took action are the 11k that were there yesterday.

Otis

Hypothetically;

One single week.

City at home to Wolves in a league game. Saturday. Both teams in top 6.

City at home in JPT Regional Final. Win would take City through to Wembley. Tuesday

City at home to Liverpool, FA Cup. Saturday.

What would the crowds be? Would people still say they couldn't afford it or couldn't go?

Very close to capacity crowds for all those 3 games in one single week for sure.

Just saying like.

Users who are viewing this thread