1921 Census (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Now out on findmypast. From a quick glance have found a number of relatives working at Kersley and Binley collieries, another at the old Courtaulds factory.

1931’s census was destroyed in WW2 so this is it until 2051.

Brighton Sky Blue

I've built up a family tree on both sides using Ancestry, but the 1921 records are exclusive to just one site. The more you know about the relative the easier it is to find it out of everyone else

OffenhamSkyBlue

It'll be interesting to see how long it is until Ancestry.org get access to the 1921 census, as i have learnt quite a lot through them.
The other good resource is the 1939 register which was conducted with the impending threat of war. Downside it doesn't include anyone who is still alive. I have found some useful stuff about my ancestors through it though.

Brighton Sky Blue

It'll be interesting to see how long it is until Ancestry.org get access to the 1921 census, as i have learnt quite a lot through them.
The other good resource is the 1939 register which was conducted with the impending threat of war. Downside it doesn't include anyone who is still alive. I have found some useful stuff about my ancestors through it though.

I have found a few who are still alive on the 1939 register but the detail is quite limited even if you can see all of it. The 1921 one does really help with quite a few gaps I wanted to fill between 1911 and 39

Sick Boy

Now out on findmypast. From a quick glance have found a number of relatives working at Kersley and Binley collieries, another at the old Courtaulds factory.

1931’s census was destroyed in WW2 so this is it until 2051.
I signed-up for findmypast but the Irish records were shite.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah I think a lot were destroyed in a fire during the war of independence.

When trying to research on my own Irish ancestors there isn't much written or recorded full stop. We got a bit lucky in having a historian offer to dig into it on our behalf as the dude became a fairly prominent businessman locally.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Just found out that you have to cough up the annual Pro subscription (the princely some of £160) to get access to the 1921 records without having to pay for each entry you want to view.
Bit of a con for a public record, in my view!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Ask your local archive or library if they have free access.
The only place you can view the documents free are National Records Office in Kew, National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth or Manchester Central Library.
Findmypast are saying they have to charge to recoup the outlay in transcribing the original census documents. I’ll just buy a few of the key documents I’d be most interested in. Most of the work I’ve done on the family tree is on Ancestry

NorthernWisdom

The only place you can view the documents free are National Records Office in Kew, National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth or Manchester Central Library.
Findmypast are saying they have to charge to recoup the outlay in transcribing the original census documents. I’ll just buy a few of the key documents I’d be most interested in. Most of the work I’ve done on the family tree is on Ancestry
Or just wait the short while until it's available at your archive or library?

Users who are viewing this thread