1950 (1 Viewer)

blueflint

any other sky-blue fans remember the early years of J Hill as I'm starting to lose some memories
so could do with a refresh

Sbarcher

any other sky-blue fans remember the early years of J Hill as I'm starting to lose some memories
so could do with a refresh
Yep - we were good then.

Reactions: vow

blueflint

I can remember Arthur lightning roy kirk frank Austin big George and a few more wee willy Humphries
bill myerscough Ronnie Rees Terry Bly bill glazier and a few more

ajsccfc

US-slide-6.jpg

rupert_bear

Roy Kirk had left way before JH became manager and Frank Austin soon after he came our full backs then were Bill Tedds and Frank Kletzanbuer both from Beduff I believe good Beduff name Kletzanbuer. Hill's first signing was Roy Dwight, Elton's uncle, then he signed John Sillett and Willie Humphries, still the best right winger we have ever had

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Roy Kirk had left way before JH became manager and Frank Austin soon after he came our full backs then were Bill Tedds and Frank Kletzanbuer both from Beduff I believe good Beduff name Kletzanbuer. Hill's first signing was Roy Dwight, Elton's uncle, then he signed John Sillett and Willie Humphries, still the best right winger we have ever had
And Willie wasn't bad either

blueflint

you are losing your memory it was the 60s that was the jimmy hills time
yes but I started supporting city in 1953 and consider all that went before that as history I remember having sneaked in for free on more than one occasion
still old times were not always better just seems it

blueflint

I thought Ronnie Rees was better but only just

Gazolba

Here's a team photo. Looks like this includes the entire playing staff. How many of these can you name?
CCFC-with-George-Hudson-resized.jpg
Here's the ones I know from top left:
X,X,Denton,Hale,X,Clements,X,Rees,X,Farmer,Machin,X,Mitten,Smith,Bruck
X,X,X,X,Roberts,Hill,Wesson,Glazier,Hudson,X,X,X,X,X
X,X,Curtis,Sillett,X,X,JH,X,X,Kearns,Gould,X,Carr
X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

Ronnie Rees was a lovely winger, tricky feet and a decent goalscoring record. I was disappointed when we sold him to West Brom and we never really had a winger in his mould until Ray Graydon years later.
Tommy was magnificent, go on YouTube and watch the greatest player ever in a Sky Blue shirt.
Even on his off days he was worth watching. There was a collective roar when he got the ball as something was about to happen.
I do feel for the younger guys, especially watching from 2000 onwards who have been fed absolute dross compared with what went before.
I started watching at the fag end of Jimmy Hill and envy those 5-6 years older than me for being around during the real Sky Blue era but oh to have the memories of Robbie Keane, Dion Dublin, Dennis Mortimer, the 87 side, the 78 side, the 69-70 side. The checkatrade trophy win gave us a glimpse of what it felt like, taking on Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, City and United and standing toe to toe, often coming out on top and for many seasons being the number one club in the Midlands.
I still dream that "we will rise again".
Blueflint you lived through our rise early sixties and saw those special days in the flesh. You are one lucky man.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

George Hudson was the player from that era we all use to idolise came from Peterborough in the days when C F were built like outhouses took over from Terry Bly who was a legend .His first game the ball was played up to him controlled it did. a shimmy a turned we all looked at one and other thinking what have we got here(scored a hat trick that day I think) He went on to be one of the best strikers our club has ever seen and we have had a few good ones Otis you missed some great stuff hope you seen Gibbo the scoop and the best goalkeeper we have ever had B G.

Otis

Too young for George Hudson as well.

My dad is now 87 and watched the City from the 1940's and he's said Hudson was the best player ever to play for the City.

NortonSkyBlue

My dad is now 87 and watched the City from the 1940's and he's said Hudson was the best player ever to play for the City.[/QUOTE]
My dad used to say the same. He didn't understand why he was sold.
He played against us in the cup in 68 and destroyed us in the replay. The reception he got at Highfield Road was a reflection of the affection he was held.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

More city fans went to see him( George Hudson) play his first game after he was transferred to Northampton in their reserves I think than City were there in exiled

Last edited:

Gazolba

Shame. Rees and Humphreys were before my time.
Humphries.
Two international wingers: Rees, Welsh and Humphries, Irish both fast, capable of beating a man, and cutting inside and scoring, which they did quite often.

Gazolba

I had a pic of the team in 55 full squad can't find it now.can remember a few in the pic you put on
I filled in the ones I know (might have one or two wrong), see if you can fill in any blanks.

oscillatewildly

Here's a team photo. Looks like this includes the entire playing staff. How many of these can you name?
View attachment 7985
Here's the ones I know from top left:
X,X,Denton,Hale,X,Clements,X,Rees,X,Farmer,Machin,X,Mitten,Smith,Bruck
X,X,X,X,Roberts,Hill,Wesson,Glazier,Hudson,X,X,X,X,X
X,X,Curtis,Sillett,X,X,JH,X,X,Kearns,Gould,X,Carr
X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X
Is that Allan Harris in between Rees and Farmer? Ken Keyworth next to Dudley Roberts? A very young Graham Paddon extreme right of that row?
Allan Dicks on JH's right, Norman Pilgrim two along from him. Jeff Blockley extreme left on front row?

NortonSkyBlue

Is that Allan Harris in between Rees and Farmer? Ken Keyworth next to Dudley Roberts? A very young Graham Paddon extreme right of that row?
Allan Dicks on JH's right, Norman Pilgrim two along from him. Jeff Blockley extreme left on front row?
And behind Blockley is John Tudor and behind him is Coop. Next to JH is Pat Seward, second from end on right looks like Trevor Gould?

colin101

We should remember that we had 3 International wingers, Dave Clements played on the left wing when he came to us from Wolves before converting to a full back

blueflint

Ronnie Rees was a lovely winger, tricky feet and a decent goalscoring record. I was disappointed when we sold him to West Brom and we never really had a winger in his mould until Ray Graydon years later.
Tommy was magnificent, go on YouTube and watch the greatest player ever in a Sky Blue shirt.
Even on his off days he was worth watching. There was a collective roar when he got the ball as something was about to happen.
I do feel for the younger guys, especially watching from 2000 onwards who have been fed absolute dross compared with what went before.
I started watching at the fag end of Jimmy Hill and envy those 5-6 years older than me for being around during the real Sky Blue era but oh to have the memories of Robbie Keane, Dion Dublin, Dennis Mortimer, the 87 side, the 78 side, the 69-70 side. The checkatrade trophy win gave us a glimpse of what it felt like, taking on Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, City and United and standing toe to toe, often coming out on top and for many seasons being the number one club in the Midlands.
I still dream that "we will rise again".
Blueflint you lived through our rise early sixties and saw those special days in the flesh. You are one lucky man.

yes lucky old man unfortunately I feel sorry for the youngsters who missed all of the rise to top tier

Voice_of_Reason

I can remember Arthur lightning roy kirk frank Austin big George and a few more wee willy Humphries
bill myerscough Ronnie Rees Terry Bly bill glazier and a few more
Me too ! Martin McDonald at Centre Half, Ken Jones, Ray Sambrook, Gordon Nutt, Colin Collendridge, plus many more

CJ_covblaze

My Grandad spoke about that era a lot. Loved the teams of the 40s, 50s and 60s. George Hudson and George Curtis were the best he'd seen in a City shirt in the 3 quarters of a century he was a fan. Best side he ever saw City play was Man City in our first season in the top flight.

I grew up watching Paul Telfer and David Rennie. Even before that great period above he had Clarrie Bourton, Billy Lake, George Mason and Billy Frith. Think he had the better end of the deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread