bigfatronssba

Apr 20, 2013
The trouble with that is we finished really poorly, almost relegation form, with only Saka out and EMC not here.
Do we go from that to being world beaters after a few weeks rest and some training?
We have a lot to do and recruit especially in defence and midfield.

We finished 21-22 season poorly and then went on to have our best season in decades

Reactions: CV3SkyBlue

bigfatronssba

Apr 20, 2013
I think you are drastically exaggerating how good our first 11 is. One of Leeds or Southampton will be in this division next season (not even touching on the three relegated sides) and we are not 1 or 2 players away from having a better 11 than either.

Whichever out of Leeds and Southampton that stays down will now have to start watching their spending as revenue will be dropping

bigfatronssba

Apr 20, 2013
Whatabout 21 -22? Yeah that’ll do it.

Oh ok then you're right.

We’re going to be awful next year because we went on a bad run for a month which included a penalty kick away from the FA cup final.

That obviously wipes out the other 7 months of the season

Yorkshire SB

Aug 1, 2011
Think we probably want Southampton to go up. Leeds will have more challenges financially, lots of players out on loan they need to deal with, and you'd think Summerville and Gnonto will push to leave.

We need to nail this transfer window, and we need everyone to step on again. The potential is huge though. Right now I'd back us to get around 80 points, which would mean we fall short, but who knows.

fatso

Jun 19, 2017
Wright / Simms going to be the most deadly strike force in the league

Saka and EMC terrorising from the wings

Thomas and Kitch will be maturing over the summer and I genuinely think can be a top class champ CB pairing

MVE playing back in his normal position where he’d started to flourish

£10 mill in from gyok sale early doors

£5 mill from the cup run

Hold onto sheaf and we have the best CM in the division

Spend that wisely and build around what we have

3 of the sides coming down will be much poorer than those that came down last year

We have the making of a phenomenal side

Autos for us ole ole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We still need ...

At least 1 goalkeeper
At least 1 striker
A central attacking midfielder / playmaker
A left back/ LWB
A right back /RWB
A centre half (possibly Binks)
A right winger

That's at LEAST 7 new signings potentially more, presuming we don't lose anyone that MR wants to keep. So it's another major overhaul of the squad.

We also need a far better organised pre-season than in recent years, the pre season tour was an embarrassing fiasco, and there's no way that Exeter away was ever going to prepare us for Leicester away as an opening fixture, we looked dead on our feet for the last 20 minutes of the first game and conceded 2 late goals to lose the game.

We need to learn from that mistake and do better.

We can comfortably offload (Imho)

Moore. (Who?)
Wilson
Dasilva
Binks (I'd keep if possible)
Kelly (gone already)
O'hare (gone already)
Godden
Tavares (maybe being kept for his last year?)

If Gyok moves on and (God forbid) Sheaf goes, we'd have potentially another 20million to spend, we could do some real damage with that!

AOM

Jul 8, 2016
Unfortunately we’re quite some way from being in contention for the automatics next season. The best we can hope for is a play-off push, IMO.

Finished 32 points off the automatics this season. Think play offs are probably the most realistic achievement we can aim for next year.
Got a strong first 11, but so little depth which I think has been the main difference between us and those finishing in the top 6

skybluecam

Apr 25, 2015
I think you are drastically exaggerating how good our first 11 is. One of Leeds or Southampton will be in this division next season (not even touching on the three relegated sides) and we are not 1 or 2 players away from having a better 11 than either.
Simms
Wright new 10 Sakamoto
Sheaf Torp/Eccles
Bidwell Kitching Thomas MVE
Collins

Upgrade one or two players there and I don’t think we’re far off.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Sep 10, 2014
We finished this season 9 points from the play offs. In the end we were a mile away. We were barely a couple of points ahead of finishing bang mid table.
Yes we have the making of a good team for next season but that's assuming none of our best players leave. It's the same for all the teams with aspirations of finishing in the top six. They'll all be saying the same as us. They all will be trying to improve the squad and keeping their best players.
Only one of those play off teams will go up.of course and it may be that two of them still on big parachute payments next season will remain in this division .
To even think we'll walk into the automatic promotion places is deluded.
Top six will be a realistic ambition..

JSL

Aug 15, 2023
A good start is essential. Playing catch up is incredibly hard in this league and expecting to do well.

bigfatronssba

Apr 20, 2013
We finished this season 9 points from the play offs. In the end we were a mile away. We were barely a couple of points ahead of finishing bang mid table.
Yes we have the making of a good team for next season but that's assuming none of our best players leave. It's the same for all the teams with aspirations of finishing in the top six. They'll all be saying the same as us. They all will be trying to improve the squad and keeping their best players.
Only one of those play off teams will go up.of course and it may be that two of them still on big parachute payments next season will remain in this division .

We finished 9 points off because we gave up once the play offs were out of reach. The league table doesn’t lie, but equally so it’s not always reflective of ability.

How many points have we thrown away this season because of stupid defensive errors? Or how many sitters did our forwards miss at the start of the season (Leicester away springs to mind)?

I expect those issues to be sorted next season. With just a decent, experienced CB, and a half decent GK, our first 11 easily makes the playoffs.

That’s before we see any improvement to the rest of the squad

Kingokings204

Jul 8, 2013

good points but we fell away after semi final as we all know. We won’t make semi finals next year. No one can say the semi final and the run to it didn’t impact us on finishing in the top 6.

Reactions: SkyBlueOz

Warwickhunt

Nov 16, 2012
Finished 32 points off the automatics this season. Think play offs are probably the most realistic achievement we can aim for next year.
Got a strong first 11, but so little depth which I think has been the main difference between us and those finishing in the top 6
Our problem this year was a very poor start and spent a lot of time clawing back points to almost get top 6! If MR can get a good first 10 games and be in the top 6 then it will be easier to stay there or improve upon it.

AOM

Jul 8, 2016
Our problem this year was a very poor start and spent a lot of time clawing back points to almost get top 6! If MR can get a good first 10 games and be in the top 6 then it will be easier to stay there or improve upon it.

My worry is that it sounds like it could potentially be another rebuild of a summer. Really reliant on any new signings to have more of an immediate impact, but think a lot of current squad will benefit from a proper pre-season

Manchester_sky_blue

Apr 10, 2013
Wright / Simms going to be the most deadly strike force in the league

Saka and EMC terrorising from the wings

Thomas and Kitch will be maturing over the summer and I genuinely think can be a top class champ CB pairing

MVE playing back in his normal position where he’d started to flourish

£10 mill in from gyok sale early doors

£5 mill from the cup run

Hold onto sheaf and we have the best CM in the division

Spend that wisely and build around what we have

3 of the sides coming down will be much poorer than those that came down last year

We have the making of a phenomenal side

Autos for us ole ole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with all of that BUT..... I can't see us keeping hold of Sheaf, Wright and Simms. Expecting to lose Sheaf and at least one of the others.

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
My worry is that it sounds like it could potentially be another rebuild of a summer. Really reliant on any new signings to have more of an immediate impact, but think a lot of current squad will benefit from a proper pre-season
You’re not going to have a season where we sign no one at all, you always needs new players.

Last season was a rebuild because we couldn’t field a starting XI of senior players after all loanees and released players left us. We signed 14 players with 17 leaving.

This summer, we need to sign 6-8 players and these players are adding to a solid foundation of players.

We’ve got COH as the only starter definitely leaving. Most outgoings are squad players and any starters who are wanted will not leave unless it’s for a bumper fee (Simms/Sheaf).

Higher turnover players than planned and they can at least be integrated more slowly than this season.

Skybluekyle

Apr 16, 2010
Coventry
You’re not going to have a season where we sign no one at all, you always needs new players.

Last season was a rebuild because we couldn’t field a starting XI of senior players after all loanees and released players left us. We signed 14 players with 17 leaving.

This summer, we need to sign 6-8 players and these players are adding to a solid foundation of players.

We’ve got COH as the only starter definitely leaving. Most outgoings are squad players and any starters who are wanted will not leave unless it’s for a bumper fee (Simms/Sheaf).

Higher turnover players than planned and they can at least be integrated more slowly than this season.
Completely agree with this. Last summer we practically needed to build a fresh 11, this season we're supplementing the squad with quality and depth, with just a few bodies who may go straight in.

Feels like Gyokeres leaving Sporting early in the window would be crucial to fund the new signings via our sell-on clause, as well as help strengthen our bargaining position if Sheaf pressures the club to sell him, so we're not in a position where we need the money too urgently to fund incomings, and we maximise the amount we get for him.

Agree with the OP's enthusiasm, if you are going to get excited about Coventry City, I think it's now.

napolimp

Sep 2, 2014
Simms
Wright new 10 Sakamoto
Sheaf Torp/Eccles
Bidwell Kitching Thomas MVE
Collins

Upgrade one or two players there and I don’t think we’re far off.

I think ITK's have said we're looking at setting up either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 next season, so probably not looking at 10's and more at players to supplement Sheaf/Eccles/Torp.

Ccfcisparks

May 13, 2011
I think ITK's have said we're looking at setting up either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 next season, so probably not looking at 10's and more at players to supplement Sheaf/Eccles/Torp.
I think we will sign 1 number 10 to give us the flexibility of playing them or EMC in a 10 if we wanted.

Thats not including Palmer if he doesn't leave.

Reactions: CV3SkyBlue

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
I believe both Rudoni and Dolan, two mooted targets can play there. Rudoni is a CM/AM and Dolan is a versatile RW/LW/AM.

Plan A will be 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 a Plan B, perhaps?

skybluecam

Apr 25, 2015
Yeah I was more just saying that however we’re setting up the midfield that should be one of the priorities transfer wise, someone to take O’Hare’s “slot”.

skyblue025

Jun 12, 2012
Hampshire
How many first team starters do people think we need?

I'd go with 3.
Keeper. Would be my priority.
Centre half as not convinced with Kitch
CM/AM to replace COH.

I think we are reasonably strong as a starting line up other than that. Squad wise we probably need another 5 on top of that depending who else leaves.

long way home

Jul 24, 2020
Godden, Bidwell, Collins, Wilson, Palmer, Lats and JDS i can see going if any sort of decent money is offered. Not all will go with probably Palmer and Lats being the ones we see again.

Any others under contract will be at the club, unless those record bids come in from prem or abroad.

Burroughs, Howley, Dausch, Andrews and Obikwu will get chance to stake a place. If Howley or Burroughs don't bridge the gap they will fall into the any offer they will let go.

So in my opinion we need 6 in and hope 1 or 2 of the younger players can step up.

I like the names already mentioned and think if Browne and McCallum are close or done they are 2 very good signings and are a good start yo the window.

We could do with GK, CB, RM and another FW.

I like Stansfield, Patino, Rudoni, Kipre, Cresswell but im sure the club already know who they want.

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I'd go with 3.
CM/AM to replace COH.

I think we are reasonably strong as a starting line up other than that. Squad wise we probably need another 5 on top of that depending who else leaves.

5: GK, CB, LB, CM, AM

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry

I'd go with 3.
CM/AM to replace COH.

You’ll be surprised. Robins has said we’ve lacked quality and quantity since Jan/Feb.

3 starters after mentioning this is tinkering around the edges. If we’re after ‘exciting’ talent, I could see there being up to 5-6 new starters.

To try and put names and positions on it:
- GK
- CB - one of 2
- LB - McCallum
- CM - Browne
- CM - Rudoni
- RW - Dolan

These players might not all be Day 1 starters and MR has made it clear we need to make more changes than was originally planned.

Reactions: skyblue025

djr8369

Jun 9, 2018
Playoffs is the aim, as DK has stated. Can’t see us challenging for autos so let’s not get over excited then call anything short of autos failure.

There is clearly interest in a few of our big players, Robins has said as much and virtually begged them to stay with some of his comments, and this could cause us to require a lot more transfer activity than we’d like.

MR and his team will identify good targets, maybe this time the fan base can avoid writing them off before we’re half way through the season?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Sep 10, 2014
We finished 9 points off because we gave up once the play offs were out of reach. The league table doesn’t lie, but equally so it’s not always reflective of ability.

How many points have we thrown away this season because of stupid defensive errors? Or how many sitters did our forwards miss at the start of the season (Leicester away springs to mind)?

I expect those issues to be sorted next season. With just a decent, experienced CB, and a half decent GK, our first 11 easily makes the playoffs.

That’s before we see any improvement to the rest of the squad
How many points have other teams squandered . A lot of clubs will be saying exactly the same as you. " We just need a decent ........and .........
We are not unique.

Reactions: Merseyskyblue

Macca1987

Jul 28, 2016
Was having a chat with my mate in the pub Saturday after the game. This question came up. If teams came in for both Wright and Simms, if you had to let one go who would it be and why. I said Wright as Simms younger, plays the centre forward role well, we're bringing in Mason Clarke on the left wing and can bring in other forwards. What are others thoughts

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Was having a chat with my mate in the pub Saturday after the game. This question came up. If teams came in for both Wright and Simms, if you had to let one go who would it be and why. I said Wright as Simms younger, plays the centre forward role well, we're bringing in Mason Clarke on the left wing and can bring in other forwards. What are others thoughts
I agree. Plus he might well be involved with the USA team so will be travelling halfway across the world and back regularly and so will likely need to be rested more often.

With his age it's unlikely his value will rise much further either, whereas I feel Simms has the potential to go up a fair amount still.

I just feel he's more replaceable.

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Sell both, buy the league.

• Haha
Reactions: Macca1987

Users who are viewing this thread