A Club, its Fans, a Ground and New Owner. (2 Viewers)

Flying Fokker

Bugger, The likes of Sheffield United...

As fans we hanker for the our club to have its own ground. Richardson et al had no idea how to build a financially viable club. SISU opreated the VP form of diplomcy in trying to acquire ACL/Higgs ownership, blah,blah,blah..

I know it is not impossible for a prospective new owner to acquire a stadium for us, but it is a bit easier to buy a club if you have everything in place.

Sheffield United: Henry Mauriss has £115m bid to buy Championship club accepted - BBC Sport

chiefdave

it is a bit easier to buy a club if you have everything in place.
this has always been the issue when people say SISU should just sell. Unless you have a connection to the club who in their right mind thinks we're a better takeover target than pretty much every other club in the country

Grendel

this has always been the issue when people say SISU should just sell. Unless you have a connection to the club who in their right mind thinks we're a better takeover target than pretty much every other club in the country

It would depend if you could assign say a sub lease to the leaseholder - say 125 years - and how much this would then cost

I think we can safely now say the new ground is never happening so that’s the only option anyway

Brighton Sky Blue

Derby technically don’t own their ground and despite being the ultimate basket case on top still have some white knights in a queue.

Grendel

Derby technically don’t own their ground and despite being the ultimate basket case on top still have some white knights in a queue.

Difference is they are in administration

Skyblueweeman

Out of interest - how many teams don't own their grounds and have a lease deal with another party - club owner or otherwise.

Anyone know? We can't be the only ones, surely?

Grendel

Out of interest - how many teams don't own their grounds and have a lease deal with another party - club owner or otherwise.

Anyone know? We can't be the only ones, surely?

i doubt any club owner is stupid enough to own the ground without a separate holding company

I doubt there are many - if any - that have such a short sub lease

Skyblueweeman

i doubt any club owner is stupid enough to own the ground without a separate holding company

I doubt there are many - if any - that have such a short sub lease

So you think there's no one like us? Genuine question - I would've thought out of 90 odd clubs, we wouldn't be the only ones on such a deal. Could be wrong though.

Grendel

So you think there's no one like us? Genuine question - I would've thought out of 90 odd clubs, we wouldn't be the only ones on such a deal. Could be wrong though.

I doubt it. A short term sub lease is valueless and that’s the issue. Even sub 50 is worthless

Grendel

Actually I do know of one and the lease is about to expire and the club has no solution I think

Grendel

BirminghAm have 9 years too. So 3 teams

I believe the owners of tbe football club still retain 25% share ownership with renewable tenancy rights

no_loyalty

I think Oxford also have an issue with their current ground, and are also looking to build a new stadium.

Skyblueweeman

I guess my point being, that I wonder if any other clubs with ground issues, have been bought by a knight in shining armour?

A rare occasion that I agree with big G. Getting a sale with our situation will be nigh on impossible.

I just wondered if there were exceptions to the rule.

clint van damme

I guess my point being, that I wonder if any other clubs with ground issues, have been bought by a knight in shining armour?

A rare occasion that I agree with big G. Getting a sale with our situation will be nigh on impossible.

I just wondered if there were exceptions to the rule.

Getting a sale would be easy if the price is right, undoubtedly whatever sisu would want to relinquish ownership is unrealistic.

Grendel

Getting a sale would be easy if the price is right, undoubtedly whatever sisu would want to relinquish ownership is unrealistic.

Well that’s the issue especially as Boddy has admitted unless we can negotiate a lease extension with Wasps we are homeless in 7 seasons

Skyblueweeman

Well that’s the issue especially as Boddy has admitted unless we can negotiate a lease extension with Wasps we are homeless in 7 seasons

Likely to happen though, don't you think (regardless of your feelings for DB)? Looking at the trajectories of both clubs, we seem to be going in the right direction (on the pitch) and them, not so.

7 years is a long time granted but if an extension is needed to cover any period to a new ground (although unlikely) or just in general, you'd hope that with relationships seemingly thawing, it wouldn't be an issue.

I guess whatever happens over the next 6-7 years will shape that though.

Grendel

Likely to happen though, don't you think (regardless of your feelings for DB)? Looking at the trajectories of both clubs, we seem to be going in the right direction (on the pitch) and them, not so.

7 years is a long time granted but if an extension is needed to cover any period to a new ground (although unlikely) or just in general, you'd hope that with relationships seemingly thawing, it wouldn't be an issue.

It hasn’t happened for Newport

NorthernWisdom

Not so long ago it wasn't like that, no reason it won't reverse again.

I dunno, if the, what, 44 year lease we had with ACL was too short, this one certainly is. Frankly I'd be all for the short-term leases while we build a new ground... if the second part of that equation had the faintest possibility of happening.

Skyblueweeman

I dunno, if the, what, 44 year lease we had with ACL was too short, this one certainly is. Frankly I'd be all for the short-term leases while we build a new ground... if the second part of that equation had the faintest possibility of happening.

Yeah, I agree. Hence the 7 years being a long time as things can change.

clint van damme

The problem is 'likely to' isn't a very stable foundation on which to build a football club.

Flying Fokker

I'd prefer we build a new ground with a 10k capacity for Wasps to play in. Warwick Uni fits in with their demographic and we could take ownership of the remaining 240 or so years lease.

Users who are viewing this thread