A Few Thoughts From Last Night... (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What an amazing evening! It's so odd being so euphoric about CCFC when we are on the verge of relegation, but walking away from the stadium yesterday felt how I imagine it would if we had just won promotion. Anyway, a few things I'd thought I'd share about yesterday, which I would be interested to get people's opinions on!

1) Is swearing acceptable at matches still?

Generally a well mannered young man, but last night I was effing and jeffing a little bit. A few pints and an important game bought out some interesting but mostly funny phrases. I don't think I said anything below the belt at all, apart from once when one of their players went down and I shouted something like 'that c-unit belongs at theatre school'.

Now I had two separate occasions where people challenged me saying that there were kids around etc. I may have gone too far, but I would have thought people taking their kids to a match would accept they would be within ear shot of some expletives? I did tone it down at their request, but I just thought especially given the circumstances that it was a bit of an overreaction.

2) Kyel Reid was terrible

Ok, there was that one amazing cross aside, and it was a beauty. If it wasn't for that though, his performance was worse than if I had put on a shirt. To me at least it felt like we had 10 men for a lot of the game. Rightly subbed off IMO.

3) DKE was amazing

For a little lad he didn't back out of anything. Was like a Jack Russel at right back. His hard work won the ball for the first goal and I don't think he really put a foot wrong all game.

4) Why are a lot of our players so scared to tackle or commit in 50/50s?

It felt like at many times, particularly in midfield and when Jones came on that some of our players never put a tackle in, even if it's an easy one. Can't fault the battle of the team yesterday as the did in general they dug in really well. I just surprised me how as professional sportsmen they come across as such pussies a lot of the time. We need to be stronger if we are going to put up a fight to stay up.

5) Slade should have made a substitute in the last 15 minutes

I don't think I was the only one that felt like we were guaranteed to concede at the death. At times in the second half it felt like we were bogged down in our own half for eternity. Personally would have bought Stevenson on as I felt we were crying out for a fresh pair of legs.

6) The atmosphere was electric

One of the best matches I have been at for a long time. I really felt like the crowd got behind the team for a lot of the game. When they scored the Sky Blue song boomed around to lift the players which I thought was really cool. We definitely need more of that if we can.

See you all at Wembley!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

On point 2, I didn't think Reid was that bad tbh. Few nice interchanges down the left in the first half, a couple of times he fell over was due to his studs getting caught in the pitch (I watched on TV so could see that clearly). Sensible sub as Jones up top wasn't working and made sense to get some extra height on with Finch.

clint van damme

I don't think point 4 is about players being pussies I think it's more to do with the fact that it's so easy to get sent off these days if the tackle is perfect.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Jodi Jones should never play for Coventry City again. Kelly Evans was absolutely brilliant. He made me proud to be a city fan.

bringbackrattles

What niggled me was why can they raise their game in this competition but not in the league ? Okay they only did it in the first half but they just looked sharper.
Obviously I'm happy they did as a trip to Wembley is going to be great,but we need to see our players get stuck in and show passion in League One too.

oakey

Speaking personally I hate the c word and every woman I know finds it deeply offensive.
I find it unacceptable if people use that word or any other swear word in an aggressive manner in any public space. I know it unsettles some people and makes others feel scared as they fear men, and a few women, who they are intimidated by.
Seriously impairs my enjoyment of the occasion.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree with the leaving out of the 'C' word. No need - plenty of alternative 'toned down' expletives!
Kyel Reid - more miss than hit - but was worth the appearance for the comedy keepy uppy session on the edge of his own box which their guy hit a screamer from (luckily straight intothe RCC's midriff). Thought atmosphere was great - makes the occasion so much more enjoyable, and must help the team.

Stafford_SkBlue

Point 1 - It's not acceptable at Rugby matches - at football it might be where you sit, I generally goto the West Stand, as there more people of my age etc, never heard any swearing sitting at that location. In the early days of the Ricoh I went to the East stand once, had someone splurting out his guts behind me and someone in front fffing off every other second.
PS - All the players last night, played their hearts out, remember half the team were kids from our own Academy, which we need to be proud of - great performance.

clint van damme

not trying to be controversial but the C word is great.
Experienced a renaissance after is profligate use in Irvine Welshs Trainspotting and now must be one of the most popular expletives in the English language.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

ran the ball into the corners to relieve the pressure, tracked back and won a couple of tackles. great last 15.
...took the ball towards the corner and then did everything except keep it. Gave it away and then, ultimately fell over. Waved his hands in the air at the referee and felt sorry for himself . An embarrassment . The rest of the team toughed it out. They may lack skill, but they battled.

Malaka

Swearing should not be tolerated in the family zone. My boys always look at me when someone is effing and jeffing. I know they have heard it all before I don't mind the odd one but some people you would think that they have touretes.
I like Reid I think he was more comfortable/used to Page I'm sure that they will develop over time

rupert_bear

I'm afraid Jodie Jones has bit to do yet for me to convince me he's a football league standard footballer. Joined in a bit of a blaze of glory but from a team relegated out of the FL. He may improve if surrounded by better players but at the moment has a way to go imo

Calista

Jodi Jones should never play for Coventry City again. Kelly Evans was absolutely brilliant. He made me proud to be a city fan.
Jodi’s still a teenager FFS! The talent is definitely there, he just lacks experience and he’s playing in a struggling team. Last night’s match and the almost brutal tactics of the other side were a massive test, which as far as I’m concerned he passed, and it will do him the world of good. He was getting the ball in very difficult positions, with nobody helping him out because the team were knackered. I feel quite the opposite to you, because I could imagine him becoming a real CCFC favourite. I guess it’s about opinions but writing off a young guy like that makes no sense whatsoever to me.

The Reverend Skyblue

Sorry for being a lazy bugger as I can't be bothered to trawl though and find the actual final date, but could some kind sole inform me of the day of the final.
Many thanks and may the lord bless you

Last edited:

clint van damme

Sorry for being a lazy buggier as I can't be bothered to trawl though and find the actual final date, but could some kind sole inform me of the day of the final.
Many thanks and may the lord bless you

Sunday 2nd April. Still seems to be some ambiguity over kick off time but 4.30pm is looking favourite.

Gint11

For me, I thought Kyel Reid was poor but not for the lack of trying. Pitch was awful. We are a tiny, tiny side and look a bit weak at times. DKE was outstanding all game and the last 15 minutes I thought the team defended brilliantly. Jodi Jones was hard working but absolutely useless and ineffective with the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Sunday 2nd April. Still seems to be some ambiguity over kick off time but 4.30pm is looking favourite.
Yep. To make it all completely watertight and cover all bases I have now booked trains at 10.30, 11.30, 12.30 and 1 pm and then trains back at 20.00, 20.30, 21.00 and 22.30.

If it's a midnight kick off I am sleeping on the streets and have already asked my wife to save any 24 packet Walker's crisp boxes.

Either that or I am hiding under my seat all night at the stadium and the cleaning staff can discover me the NXT day and let me out in the morning.

clint van damme

Yep. To make it all completely watertight and cover all bases I have now booked trains at 10.30, 11.30, 12.30 and 1 pm and then trains back at 20.00, 20.30, 21.00 and 22.30.

If it's a midnight kick off I am sleeping on the streets and have already asked my wife to save any 24 packet Walker's crisp boxes.

Either that or I am hiding under my seat all night at the stadium and the cleaning staff can discover me the NXT day and let me out in the morning.

no wonder the train prices are going up!

MalcSB

For me, the missing link is a big centre forward. Many people complain about the accuracy of Burge's kicking, and RCC is a lot better, but does it make much difference.Practically every time a kick from our goalkeeper reaches the half way line, we lose possession as the opponents defenders win the ball in the air - it may actually be less dangerous if Burge kicks it in to touch! Jones last night operated in two ways. When in or near there half, his pace occupied their defence and took some pressure off ours. When deep in our half he hoofed the ball forward in to space, taking a little pressure off but making sure he didn't lose the ball in dangerous areas and create more pressure. We are just too light weight though, we have done really well against the premier U-21 teams (4-2 against West Ham for example) and a lot of our players would qualify for an under 21 team. In the league we are up against fully developed, powerful and wily players.

Skyblueweeman

Good point Gint about the pitch...it is awful.

And to the OP...I actually realised I was swearing quite a bit but didn't dish out the c word. I did have a look round though to see if there were any kids about and when there weren't, continued dish out abuse to the ref (who actually had an ok game overall).

Totally agree about Reid. The cross was a worldy but apart from that, I thought he had a shocker.

DKE was brilliant. As a kid, I used to play RB and was/am about the same height as him. Good spring as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Regards the language, whether we like it or not the game has irreversibly moved on From it's working class roots.
Wouldn't really want to pull any player for their performance last night, while we know We are not very good,( we were bossed by a league 2 team for most the 2nd half) the effort and commitment from everyone was superb.

Nick

Administrator
that c-unit belongs at theatre school

Is a bit random.

I don't really have much of an issue when it is out of frustration "for fuck sake" when missing a shot or conceding etc but when it's just swearing for the sake of it in the kids zone it annoys me. Some words are ok as my daughter doesnt even know what they are but I get the look sometimes when people swear and she knows it is swearing.

Don't have an issue when it's just me there, or outside of the family zone as if people do have an issue with swearing around kids they should really go in the family zone which is designed for it.

Still doesn't beat the bloke encouraging his kid to shout c**t, the kid was about 4 or 5. A few years ago in the telegraph stand.

Otis

I don't think I have ever sworn at a football match.

I understand why people do, it's a passionate game, but I do think you should try and temper it and be aware if there are young kids around.

I also hate the C word. Just find it so crude and distasteful.

Last edited:

Astute

Swearing in the family zone should not happen at all. If you take children and you don't want them to hear people swearing you should take them to the family zone whenever you can.

I take my 7 year old lad in with the lads. He knows that it is wrong to copy them...or me. If you ever end up near us at a game you will hear him telling people off for swearing :D

shmmeee

First time I ever saw my Dad swear was at Highfield Road after Paul Scholes had scored against us and he stuck his twos up at him. As a kid I loved it lol.

Agree that in family areas you should behave, but elsewhere that's the game.

Also will defend the C word. Always seen the overreaction to it as an American thing personally. But then I've never found any word in particular offensive as opposed to an actual sentence that puts over an offensive message. If that makes sense.

wal3590

What niggled me was why can they raise their game in this competition but not in the league ? Okay they only did it in the first half but they just looked sharper.
Obviously I'm happy they did as a trip to Wembley is going to be great,but we need to see our players get stuck in and show passion in League One too.
Because the fans made a huge impact last night, and need to continue to do so. Probably hard to self motivate when your confidence is so shot. I think the other night will help us hugely. Plus a win alone builds confidence

Users who are viewing this thread