A simple proposal (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

TF says that it is no longer viable to stay at the Ricoh and that the only way for the club to go forward in a sustainable manner is to build a new ground which the club owns in its entirety and takes all the proceeds from.

However, he says that in order to enable this, we have to groundshare at an unspecified location until the ground is built...in an unspecified location. There are three main things wrong with this idea:

1. A groundshare outside of Coventry will see attendances plummet to levels too low to comfortably support League 1 football.

2. The exact location for this ground, and permission for it, is yet to be determined.

3. The exact cost to build it has also not been determined and may be levied against the club, adding to its debt.

Therefore, if you want support for this idea:

1. Rather than see groundsharing as the only interim option, get around the table with ACL and negotiate a 3/4/5 year agreement with the reduced figure and associated add-ons last put forward in January. ACL, this requires a bit of humble pie for yourselves, and you may have to be proactive about it.

2. Get formal planning permission from whichever relevant authority it is needed from for a site for the new ground.

3. Declare the expected cost of this project, how it will impact the club's debts, and precisely what revenues the club will be able to claim as its own (if catering is contracted out for example, the club won't see it).

Few of us oppose the club owning its own ground 100%. All of us oppose moving out of Coventry, even in the short term, to make it happen-assuming you actually have the authority, Tim, you could actually make this work.

torchomatic

I agree. If this happens - which I don't think it will - then stay at the Ricoh while the new ground is built. To be honest if it was in Cov then I have no problem with leaving the Ricoh if it means we get ALL the income, however moving to Northamptonshire or wherever is just stupid.

It's about pride now and it needs to be swallowed if this club is to survive. And I'm talking about ALL sides here.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree. If this happens - which I don't think it will - then stay at the Ricoh while the new ground is built. To be honest if it was in Cov then I have no problem with leaving the Ricoh if it means we get ALL the income, however moving to Northamptonshire or wherever is just stupid.

It's about pride now and it needs to be swallowed if this club is to survive. And I'm talking about ALL sides here.

I don't disagree with this. An interim stay at the Ricoh allows ACL to start planning for a future business without the club so it is also in their interests as well as the more obvious needs of the club. Contrary to how some have interpreted my comments on the 'Pressley targets winger' thread, if we groundshare outside of Coventry we will almost certainly be relegated before the new ground is built because we won't be able to afford a League 1 squad.

stupot07

Fisher has hinted at non-footballing income, but I don't see it ever outcompeting the Ricoh for anything other than football.

Problem is the Ricoh hasn't really made a lot of money, the latest accounts with the record £1m profits included the football club paying £1.3m rent.

stupot07

How much costs were incurred by having the club there?

None I imagine, club paid rent and all match day costs (utilities, stewards, police, etc) £10k per match on top of rent and maintanence of the pitch...and we're charged business rates for the whole of the arena (the ~£400k they will get back from ccc)

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

How much costs were incurred by having the club there?

I would be surprised if the cost of having the club there is greater than the rent.

I would suspect that the cost of having the club at the Ricoh are probably closer to the £400k offer. Although the club isn't worth just £1.2m in rent, the income from the F&B is unknown and ACL receive some of that through their joint venture with Compass.

Brighton Sky Blue

None I imagine, club paid rent and all match day costs (utilities, stewards, police, etc) and maintanence of the pitch...and we're charged business rates for the whole of the arena (the ~£400k they will get back from ccc)

I'm just trying to figure out what the net income from the club's activities was-though clearly a willingness to cut the rent by £900k showed it wasn't as important to the business as it may otherwise have been. They will have a hard job replacing them if we move, no doubt about it.

Users who are viewing this thread