AFC Coventry (1 Viewer)

Otis

Okay, following on from another post in a thread about our woes, should CCFC no longer exist and an AFC Coventry were to be formed, competing at a very low non-league level, would you still go up and support them?

A definite yes from me.

So, yay or nay?

CUS Wyken

Same as, fuck the soulless ricoh off and start a fresh. If nothing else the football wouldn't be any worse anyway haha and it be a good crack

pusbccfc

But couldn't we just use coventry sphinx and build from there?

Otis

Without doubt. I would go as far are saying, I'd help start it.

Me too, Edgy. Not so sure about just muscling in on Cov Sphinx. Would need their approval. AFC Coventry would still be Coventry City FC and sill the Sky Blues, Not so sure I like the idea of just 'taking over' another club. Sphinx would have to be completely onboard with it.

Sub

atleast we know we would have a proper idea of what we are trying to achive, not like at the moment just bleeding to death on a downward spiral

Given a straight choice it would be easier to start with Sphinx if you ask me...In CCFC it would however be a really big shame to kill something outright that has been around since 1883

Wimbledon was a completely different beast and our situation is nothing like that at the moment. They moved locations and we are not looking at anything like that so surely a step down the league with our current club is best for all concerned rather than starting the other way. SISU will not be here for ever and the club will live on.

Last edited:

Otis

Think we need to put all that to one side and deal with the here and now to be honest.

Covstu

Isnt going to happen folks but having said that there is something exciting about starting again!!!

Otis

Agree. i would find the whole thing exciting after so much turmoil for what seems like an eternity.

edgy

No way should we take over Sphinx or anyone else! They are already a club, that is not CCFC. We'd have to start from scratch. Taking over somewhere would be a massive hypocrisy.

Otis

Agree.

Don't see how we can just throw our weight around and take over another club.

We should all stick with the History of our club until we have no choice. I cannot see anything that SISU do changing that approach for me. If they go into administration then surely that will feel like starting again.....Liquidation and we are starting again.

We should also renogotiate with the council for the rent based on 12500 fans, whoever negotatied at 20k+ is a abit of a tool.

pusbccfc

The thing is though, is if we went bust or whatever, the council would probably save us because coventry are a big trade and a big tourist boost for the city.
We not be premierleague anymore but we are still well known and it puts coventry on the map.

stupot07

Given a straight choice it would be easier to start with Sphinx if you ask me...In CCFC it would however be a really big shame to kill something outright that has been around since 1883

Wimbledon was a completely different beast and our situation is nothing like that at the moment. They moved locations and we are not looking at anything like that so surely a step down the league with our current club is best for all concerned rather than starting the other way. SISU will not be here for ever and the club will live on.

Completely agree AFC Wimbledon is an entirely different scenario, and has made the AFC idea trendy.

I would not like to see an AFC Coventry, we need ccfc to be alive and kicking!

bamalamafizzfazz

Count me in!!

Then fifty years down the line when we have been promoted through 6 didvisions owned by some Kazakhstani billionaire getting charged £100 per game and a tenner a pint I think we should break off to Coventry Athletic :facepalm:

Otis

Completely agree AFC Wimbledon is an entirely different scenario, and has made the AFC idea trendy.

I would not like to see an AFC Coventry, we need ccfc to be alive and kicking!

Was just a scenario though of if CCFC didn't exist anymore, Stu. Of course we want them to exist and it would be very, very unlikely the club will ever go bust, but just thought it would be interesting to gauge how many people would follow a new AFC club.

Otis

Count me in!!

Then fifty years down the line when we have been promoted through 6 didvisions owned by some Kazakhstani billionaire getting charged £100 per game and a tenner a pint I think we should break off to Coventry Athletic :facepalm:

We would be Coventry Phoenix.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Tbh I can't see many advantages - we'd have less fans going, start in a division far lower than League one, with barely enough money to get a team together or register to play etc. If something should happen to stop our CCFC existing then yes but, until that time, I'll stick with the current club

Otis

Not talking about abandoning CCFC. Wasn't trying to offer AFC Coventry as an alternative, only if we no longer had a club. If CCFC no longer was in existence.

I think if we no longer had a club the fanbase would be very good indeed for a non league team.

Sky Blue M

Tbh I dont know if I would follow an AFC Coventry. I havent got any ties to Coventry as a city and just started following the club as it was the nearest. If they went out of existence I am not sure I would have the same feeling going to watch a phoenix club. Would probably start watching Leamington.

WestEndAgro

I do find this idea interesting, similar to the breakaway team FC United of Manchester, more than Wimbledon scenario.
I am aware that Sphinx, were considering a name change to AFC Coventry not so long ago, and are ambitious.
The basics are in place down at the Sphinx, and they play in Sky Blue, also it is a very large plot of land.
Imagine if a few thousand turned up at the next home game.
Standing on the terraces would be good again!

Season ticket holder for many years, but becoming saddened by the slow, painful death of my beloved Sky Blues, perhaps just perhaps,this could be the answer ???????????????

Otis

Well I was just trying to throw a glimmer of hope in these desperate times. People are at their wits end about this beloved club, but if the worst came to the worst then there is always this crumb of comfort to be had.

I think if there were no Coventry City then a new AFC Coventry would get easily between 1,000 - 2,000 every week. Certainly at the onset anyway.

ajsccfc

No. It'd be a completely different club even if they tried to stay as close to traditional as possible and I don't think I could just manufacture support in such a way.

Otis

Even if they were to say get John Sillet and Bobby Gould as Life Presidents?

EleanorRigby

Isn't Leicester's name something like Leicester Foxes, still known as Leicester City though, but I'm sure when juggy ears Linekar helped save them they had to have a new name.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

^^^^

Thank you and goodnight. :claping hands:

Otis

Not for me. It would be Coventry City FC in all but name. Same fans, same kit, same Sky Blues, same songs. You get the likes of Sillet and Gould onboard then how is that not Coventry City?

Users who are viewing this thread