AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Over ground, Under ground, Wombling free, the Wombles of Wimbledon's who we will beat! Cant wait for the game tonight. Who else is going? Whats the score gonna be? Anything to do with the AFC Wimbledon game can be put in here. Thought I'd be the one to do the Match Thread this week haha, hope you guys don't mind. See you all at The Cherry Red Records Stadium at 7.45. PLAY UP SKY BLUES!!!!

87mint

we will 100% lose - and it will rain - and there won't be enough room under their cowshed side terrace

torchomatic

On a related note. Cherry Red are a fantastic label.

I have to say I cant wait for the game. Its the first time I have been to a League 2 stadium. We have a lot in common with AFC Wimbledon. We are in the same situation as they were in. Its obviously worse for them as their club was completely torn away and renamed, but its a very similar situation, so there must be a mutual respect there between the 2 sets of fans. I think we should win tonight, i'm thinking 3-1 to City, but we should never count our chickens, Wimbledon are a very good team who can bite us on the arse if we put our guard down, so tonight should be a great occasion

skybluelee

Wimbledon are not 'a very good team', Liam. They are mid-table in League 2. A very good team would tear us a new arsehole.

Think it will be tight but we are always going to score goals with our front two so I will say 2-0 win.

SkyBlueM

Not going but have BT Sport so think it will be a takeout curry and few beers at home in the dry - can't see us keeping a clean sheet so going for 4-1 Clarke, Baker, Wilson and Moose we all get on the scoresheet.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
This is from the BBC preview of the match (I must say I am liking SP more and more. A big nod to the past, but always looking to the future) -

Coventry City manager Steven Pressley told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire:

"I want these players to make a name for themselves in this competition. For the last 26 years since winning it, we have reached the quarter-finals on two occasions, but have progressed one round or less 19 other times.

"The fans of this football club have been starved of relative success, no doubt about it. But they have remained hugely loyal.

"I desperately want our players to repay them for that. Fans have been crying out for heroes for a long time - since 1987 - and it would be nice if this group of players could give them hope again.

"We are under no illusions about how difficult the game is going to be - they are on the back of a very good result against top-of-the-table Rochdale. This is a cup tie, under the the floodlights, live on TV and they will have an intensity about them, so we need to make sure we are ready."

fernandopartridge

I have to say I cant wait for the game. Its the first time I have been to a League 2 stadium. We have a lot in common with AFC Wimbledon. We are in the same situation as they were in. Its obviously worse for them as their club was completely torn away and renamed, but its a very similar situation, so there must be a mutual respect there between the 2 sets of fans. I think we should win tonight, i'm thinking 3-1 to City, but we should never count our chickens, Wimbledon are a very good team who can bite us on the arse if we put our guard down, so tonight should be a great occasion

We have nothing in common with AFC Wimbledon.

fernandopartridge

Liam, have you been reading 101 football clichés?

Joy Division

Has our allocation been sold out yet?

Also for any Brum residents, anyone know if any pubs in Birmingham that may show the game? Probably unlikely I know.

skybluebolland

Ok thanks, I am in Egham, which is an hour on the train from Waterloo, which is the route I thought I had to do, turns out I can go direct instead fro Egham to Norbiton.

ExmouthNeil

Well I'm off down the pub now for a a few early one's then into my local to soak up the BIG match atmosphere...

I'm goin for 1-3 win. Wilson, Baker and Leon gettin the goals... :claping hands:

Enjoy everyone and PUSB's!!!!!;););)

japandy

This is from the BBC preview of the match (I must say I am liking SP more and more. A big nod to the past, but always looking to the future) - Coventry City manager Steven Pressley told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire: "I want these players to make a name for themselves in this competition. For the last 26 years since winning it, we have reached the quarter-finals on two occasions, but have progressed one round or less 19 other times. "The fans of this football club have been starved of relative success, no doubt about it. But they have remained hugely loyal. "I desperately want our players to repay them for that. Fans have been crying out for heroes for a long time - since 1987 - and it would be nice if this group of players could give them hope again. "We are under no illusions about how difficult the game is going to be - they are on the back of a very good result against top-of-the-table Rochdale. This is a cup tie, under the the floodlights, live on TV and they will have an intensity about them, so we need to make sure we are ready."
I TOTALLY AGREE but I do get a little annoyed by his continous use of the word 'intense'. One can only feel sorry for his wife and family when he expects everything to be intense. If he takes all things literally he must be a rabbit in bed.

torchomatic

From Worcestershire?

Come from my home town! Took on a band called the tights who were from here who had a tune called Howard Hughes!

Spagbol

It will be interesting to see if he plays a full strength team tonight or see him bring in some of the fringe players. Will be nice to see Cyrus back I wonder whether Burge will get a game and if he will play both Call and Leon from the start. Should be interesting, Pusb

BurbageSkyBlues

From the BT Sport preview of the game....

Mike Calvin: Wimbledon identify with Coventry's solidarity
BT Sport columnist says live FA Cup match represents the struggle for the national game’s soul.

By Mike Calvin
Sports writer
Last updated: 08 November 2013, 12:31 GMT

Harry Pell (L) and Jack Midson (R) of AFC Wimbledon celebrate the win that kept them in the Football League

This is more than a football match. It is a fable.

Friday night’s televised FA Cup tie between two former winners, AFC Wimbledon and Coventry City, represents the struggle for the national game’s soul.

AFC command the moral high ground. They enshrine the merits of the supporter-owned club, built from the wreckage of betrayal and abandonment.

Coventry, through no fault of their own, are the bad guys. They are an investment vehicle for a Mayfair hedge fund, whose operating principles have been shamefully excused by the Football League.

An away tie comes as a blessed relief to Coventry, whose decline since winning Wembley in 1987 has been steep and sobering.
At least their long-suffering fans will be able to attend with a clear conscience.

Their boycott of “home” matches, staged in a vacuum of indifference at Northampton Town, has been one of the storylines of the season. It is self-sacrifice in a noble cause.

Coventry’s resilience on the pitch, under the admirable management of Stephen Pressley, has been matched off it.

They are on course to overcome a 10-point penalty, and reach the League One play offs, and the supporters have mounted a consistently effective protest campaign against owners SISU.

Wimbledon fans will identify with such solidarity. They have lived through the lie of supposedly temporary relocation.

AFC are a success, regardless of whether they reach the second round"

The club left Plough Lane, their spiritual home, and squatted at Selhurst Park before being infamously moved, lock stock and smoking barrel, to Milton Keynes.

Last December’s FA Cup tie between AFC, the Phoenix club directly descended from the Crazy Gang, and MK Dons, their bad-blood brother, merely heightened the tensions between the two.

Football needs to drive out the corporate gargoyles, but that is a more realistic proposition lower down the pyramid.

The best example of the fan-run club remains Portsmouth, whose results in League Two have failed to match the excitement generated by their spiritual rebirth.

The Pompey model is the way forward – a club run by the fans, for the fans. The strength of the link between players, staff and supporters is no coincidence.

They have found common cause.

AFC Wimbledon are a success story, regardless of whether they reach the second round. Coventry City will still be victims of circumstance, whatever the result.

The neutral will wish both well.

Coverage of AFC Wimbledon v Coventry starts at 7pm on BT Sport 1 on Friday November 8.

WillieStanley

Flippin' heck!! Mike Calvin, whoever he is, knows how to pen drama!! What a preview!! I feel like I'm about to watch Breaking Bad or something, not a 1st round FA Cup tie!!

torchomatic

sisu go home

I personally think in the form we're in we'll smash them into the turf and win by 6 goals. In a cruel twist of irony we'll lose a player for the next few games through injury or suspension. I'm going with 0-4 tonight - Moussa & Wilson (1st half), and Clarke 2 (2nd half) - would go for more but the weather's not in favour of our style.
If I'm right you all have to say how clever I am! :cool:
That includes you, William Hill.

jazzamk

Watching in a London Bridge pub if anyone's around. Would be there but thought I had an on-call tonight!

The Reverend Skyblue

From the BT Sport preview of the game....

Mike Calvin: Wimbledon identify with Coventry's solidarity
BT Sport columnist says live FA Cup match represents the struggle for the national game’s soul.

By Mike Calvin
Sports writer
Last updated: 08 November 2013, 12:31 GMT

Harry Pell (L) and Jack Midson (R) of AFC Wimbledon celebrate the win that kept them in the Football League

This is more than a football match. It is a fable.

Friday night’s televised FA Cup tie between two former winners, AFC Wimbledon and Coventry City, represents the struggle for the national game’s soul.

AFC command the moral high ground. They enshrine the merits of the supporter-owned club, built from the wreckage of betrayal and abandonment.

Coventry, through no fault of their own, are the bad guys. They are an investment vehicle for a Mayfair hedge fund, whose operating principles have been shamefully excused by the Football League.

An away tie comes as a blessed relief to Coventry, whose decline since winning Wembley in 1987 has been steep and sobering.
At least their long-suffering fans will be able to attend with a clear conscience.

Their boycott of “home” matches, staged in a vacuum of indifference at Northampton Town, has been one of the storylines of the season. It is self-sacrifice in a noble cause.Coventry’s resilience on the pitch, under the admirable management of Stephen Pressley, has been matched off it.

They are on course to overcome a 10-point penalty, and reach the League One play offs, and the supporters have mounted a consistently effective protest campaign against owners SISU.

Wimbledon fans will identify with such solidarity. They have lived through the lie of supposedly temporary relocation.

AFC are a success, regardless of whether they reach the second round"

The club left Plough Lane, their spiritual home, and squatted at Selhurst Park before being infamously moved, lock stock and smoking barrel, to Milton Keynes.

Last December’s FA Cup tie between AFC, the Phoenix club directly descended from the Crazy Gang, and MK Dons, their bad-blood brother, merely heightened the tensions between the two.

Football needs to drive out the corporate gargoyles, but that is a more realistic proposition lower down the pyramid.

The best example of the fan-run club remains Portsmouth, whose results in League Two have failed to match the excitement generated by their spiritual rebirth.

The Pompey model is the way forward – a club run by the fans, for the fans. The strength of the link between players, staff and supporters is no coincidence.

They have found common cause.

AFC Wimbledon are a success story, regardless of whether they reach the second round. Coventry City will still be victims of circumstance, whatever the result.

The neutral will wish both well.

Coverage of AFC Wimbledon v Coventry starts at 7pm on BT Sport 1 on Friday November 8.

The Highlighted line says it all and well put in my opinion , a self sacrifice of a noble cause

Vedere

Tough sh1t if their keeper is stuck in traffic! They should have been made to start with a sub keeper and switch him for a sub if they were allowed to name the late one on the bench!

Users who are viewing this thread