AFCON (1 Viewer)

Bugsy

Utter shambles

Brighton Sky Blue

Noticed Ian Wright saying it was racist to have an issue with players going off to feature in this tournament. Guess he missed the complaining at every single international break

TomRad85

Hilarious. Caulker playing for Sierra Leone despite being capped for England is also hilarious, as is the bloke being called up to Cape Verde via LinkedIn and initially ignoring it as he thought it was spam.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s a shambolic tournament it always is the few minutes I watched the football was dreadful.

Terry Gibson's perm

It has some of the worlds best players in it but they are spread over so many countries and the rest of the players around them are poor so it makes for bad viewing.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just switched it on another full house Wasps style. Gambia are playing the Craftsman pub.

• Haha
Reactions: vow

Ccfcisparks

Hilarious start to the Gambia game. Mauritania's players were lining up for the national anthem, and the stadium played the wrong national anthem twice which was cut just as it got to the goalkeeper. The keeper was signalling for them to run the anthem back again and the captain was shaking his head in disgust. After a few minutes, the Mauritania players were told they had to sing the anthem with no backing track as they didnt have it, but the Mauritania players refused because none of them knew it.

This tournament is a calamity of errors.

rob9872

Hopefully Ivory Coast win as the first in my acca tonight. I got let down by Sunderland last night and it gave me a free bet for only one loser in a fivefold but insisted I put it back on another at least fivefold. Ended up with, WHU, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Ivory Coast and Atlanta!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Tournament is an embarrassment. Not sure why there have been so many people trying to make a fuss about it in recent weeks in the media.

SBT

Tournament is an embarrassment. Not sure why there have been so many people trying to make a fuss about it in recent weeks in the media.

Shambolic as it may be, it's a huge deal to the fans of the countries who are playing. The fact that teams like Watford think it should be treated like an afterthought is pretty disrespectful. A better standard of tournament in Africa will ultimately improve the standard of the game that we get to watch week in week out as well.

Terry Gibson's perm

Shambolic as it may be, it's a huge deal to the fans of the countries who are playing. The fact that teams like Watford think it should be treated like an afterthought is pretty disrespectful. A better standard of tournament in Africa will ultimately improve the standard of the game that we get to watch week in week out as well.

The twenty in the ground today would definitely agree with that.

Frostie

What did Watford do wrong?

Grendel

i don’t understand why it will improve the domestic game

Travs

It's pretty disrespectful to write it off as a meaningless tournament. It may be to us, but it's plenty important enough to the people of Africa.

Teams complaining about losing players should take it into consideration when signing players... not sign them and try to guilt them into missing the tournament.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's pretty disrespectful to write it off as a meaningless tournament. It may be to us, but it's plenty important enough to the people of Africa.

Teams complaining about losing players should take it into consideration when signing players... not sign them and try to guilt them into missing the tournament.

If they want people to take it seriously then they need to sort themselves out. Every time it's on it is a bit of an embarrassment sadly.

We aren't talking massive logistical issues here. We are talking about referees that can't tell the time, and organisers that can't get national anthems correct.

SBT

What did Watford do wrong?

I think between not releasing Sarr to Senegal (who supposedly wanted to go) and allegedly "baring fangs" over Emmanuel Dennis and Nigeria, it's clear they don't see any obligation to let players go and are willing to play hardball with these African associations. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances etc etc, but I'm not sure they'd do the same if the European Championships or World Cup were held at the same time. I think that's what people have been pointing out recently.

i don’t understand why it will improve the domestic game

If you can build up interest in a way that generates more revenue, and make sure that money is reinvested in the African game, presumably it would lead to more African players not just developing faster, but also being known to English scouts etc? There must be huge untapped potential in some countries.

Frostie

I think between not releasing Sarr to Senegal (who supposedly wanted to go) and allegedly "baring fangs" over Emmanuel Dennis and Nigeria, it's clear they don't see any obligation to let players go and are willing to play hardball with these African associations. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances etc etc, but I'm not sure they'd do the same if the European Championships or World Cup were held at the same time. I think that's what people have been pointing out recently.

They tried to call up Dennis after the deadline had already passed (somehow he didn't make their initial 37 man squad!) & from what I read I think Dennis didn't want to go anyway.

Sarr is injured but Senegal didn't believe them, made Sarr fly out for their own medical team to assess which Watford (reluctantly) agreed to. The Senegal medical team now conclude that the Watford prognosis was correct & he's unlikely to play any part.

They have other players at AFCON with no issues; 2 with Morocco & Troost-Ekong even with Nigeria.

The broader point is absolutely spot on though. Clubs know about AFCON, it's timing, players being called up etc. when signing African players.
It's one of my big gripes with Klopp, he moans about it every year but happily runs Mané & Salah in to the ground in meaningless games for Liverpool.

Leicester are clearly playing the Covid card currently to get over their injuries & AFCON absentees too. Daft loophole from Premier League that.

Reactions: SBT

Travs

If they want people to take it seriously then they need to sort themselves out. Every time it's on it is a bit of an embarrassment sadly.

We aren't talking massive logistical issues here. We are talking about referees that can't tell the time, and organisers that can't get national anthems correct.

Those are obviously issues. But there's enough shambolic goings on in "western" football, that makes it a bit hypocritical to write off a continental championship, just because it isn't so important to us.

Liquid Gold

Every time someone complains about women being given jobs as pundits you should just point out that Ian Wright has made a career out of it and he can't string a sentence together.

Brighton Sky Blue

Every time someone complains about women being given jobs as pundits you should just point out that Ian Wright has made a career out of it and he can't string a sentence together.

He thinks wearing hipster hats and glasses is the entry requirement

Skyblueweeman

Also blew up at 85 for the end of the game, then 89.

giphy.gif

Bugsy

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Users who are viewing this thread