Aidy Boothroyd (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

Careful, he might offer to meet you for a scrap over DM's like he did with me

giphy.gif

Tell me more

richnrg

Gerry Armstong - World Cup Finals Appearances - 6, World Cup Finals Goals - 3
George Best - World Cup Finals Appearances - 0, World Cup Finals Goals - 0

The stats don't lie - Gerry Armstong was by FAR the greater player.

cc84cov

Like most things he comes out with it's utter fiction.
Never once said he was better I said he has better chances created by a long way in a lesser team,was nonsense tho your point about defensive stats tho wasn’t it

Frostie

Never once said he was better I said he has better chances created by a long way in a lesser team,was nonsense tho your point about defensive stats tho wasn’t it

Grealish is wayyy out in front in terms of goals his chances created he’s 20+ Aheat of De Bruyne

Where's this stat that says he's created 20+ chances more than De Bruyne then? All the reputable stats sites have De Bruyne higher per 90.

As I keep saying we shouldn't be comparing Mount & Grealish as they are completely different players playing completely different roles but as you keep banging on about it....
Can you honestly look at the bottom section & tell me Grealish is better defensively?

inCollage_20210329_163804022~2.jpg

cc84cov

Where's this stat that says he's created 20+ chances more than De Bruyne then? All the reputable stats sites have De Bruyne higher per 90.

As I keep saying we shouldn't be comparing Mount & Grealish as they are completely different players playing completely different roles but as you keep banging on about it....
Can you honestly look at the bottom section & tell me Grealish is better defensively?

View attachment 19357
Sky sports had it up last week he’s created over 20 more chances than second place De Bruyne

stevefloyd

This attitude is part of the problem. Most of the u21 team play men’s football ffs, it’s not some jolly crèche based out of St George’s Park. And Haaland did his time in his u20/u21 side in 2018-2019. What’s your point?
Wrong time of the month?

SeaSeeEffCee

I'm all for giving Southgate this euros ..but surely we are in agreement that if he fails to reach the semi finals at least with us having so many games at Wembley he's got to go

We can't allow him to then take these players to the world Cup in 2022
We might have a lot of games at Wembley but crucially if we win our group we then have to play one of France/Germany/Portugal in Dublin.

Gregbant

I watched England U21’s last night. It reminded me how turgid the football was when he was our manager. He must have some really good friends at the FA to have landed that gig. Utter shite

I was gobsmacked and disappointed when he got that job.

ccfc1234

The FA are clueless and happy with mundane football. Southgate and Boothroyd! Yawn!

I havent watched a single England match since we lost to Croatia in the WC. Partly down to games now being on Sky, mostly because its like pulling teeth!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
If I could sack Southgate and Steven Gerrard took over we would have a better chance of winning the Euros. Southgate is in essence a failed club manager and average TV pundit.

TM8792

Can’t take any of you clowns seriously with this Mount/Grealish/Maddison midfielder debate when every single one of you genuinely believe Callum O’Hare is our best player.

ccfc92

Quoted on Radio 1 today as saying it is impossible to achieve in his role.

U21s close to going out of their tournament too IIRC.

Terry Gibson's perm

M

If it’s so impossible nobody will want to take over from him then. Or will they see the job for what it is a nice rest doing what is a part time job on full time pay and not really have any real pressure.
I’ve just read the statement the only positive bit was that his contract is up and surely these idiots at the fa will use it as a time to get rid but knowing them they will either renew it or make up a nice little role for him.

Colin Steins Smile

I found that statement from Bothroyd disturbing given the talent at his disposal. He mutters on about players not getting opportunities for first team football, but has a squad that has included: Ramsdale, Aarons, Sessegnon x2, Cantwell, Davies, Jones, McNeil, Skipp, Bewster, Hudson-Odoi, Greenwood, Smith-Rowe......all who play regular first team football this season.

That's without mentioning players who already are in the full england squad. He's had loads of talent to work with and in my view has failed miserably.

Terry Gibson's perm

I found that statement from Bothroyd disturbing given the talent at his disposal. He mutters on about players not getting opportunities for first team football, but has a squad that has included: Ramsdale, Aarons, Sessegnon x2, Cantwell, Davies, Jones, McNeil, Skipp, Bewster, Hudson-Odoi, Greenwood, Smith-Rowe......all who play regular first team football this season.

That's without mentioning players who already are in the full england squad. He's had loads of talent to work with and in my view has failed miserably.

I don’t follow it enough to be sure but aren’t all the managers he is up against in the the same boat, sometimes in life you have to stand back and say I am not good enough for the job I have and this is a moment for him, where he goes from here must be a worry for him as the teams won’t be knocking each other over to get him.

SBAndy

And, of course, the one who has played most regularly in the Premier League (well, as an outfield player) Eberechi Eze, hasn’t started either game.

Frostie

Boothroyd is an utter, abject failure in that role. Which should come as no surprise to anyone who watched his club management career.

How can you bemoan that talent steps up to the senior squad? That's literally the nature of the job & the same happens in most other U21 squads.
Spain top their group having lost U21 stars to the senior squad; Torres, Garcia, Pedri etc.
Same for Holland; De Ligt, Gravenberch, Stengs, De Jong.

That squad he has is capable of so much more than 1 point in the last 5 games. It's littered with talent yet they've only managed 1 shot on target from their 2 games, zero from open play!

We crashed out in Euro 2019 under him too, failing to win a single game with a squad that included Maddison, Mount, Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Konsa etc etc etc.

It's embarrassing that the FA have been banging on about an England DNA for 7 years now whilst simultaneously appointing dinosaurs like Boothroyd to manage the top young talent.

fernandopartridge

Boothroyd is an utter, abject failure in that role. Which should come as no surprise to anyone who watched his club management career.

How can you bemoan that talent steps up to the senior squad? That's literally the nature of the job & the same happens in most other U21 squads.
Spain top their group having lost U21 stars to the senior squad; Torres, Garcia, Pedri etc.
Same for Holland; De Ligt, Gravenberch, Stengs, De Jong.

That squad he has is capable of so much more than 1 point in the last 5 games. It's littered with talent yet they've only managed 1 shot on target from their 2 games, zero from open play!

We crashed out in Euro 2019 under him too, failing to win a single game with a squad that included Maddison, Mount, Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Konsa etc etc etc.

It's embarrassing that the FA have been banging on about an England DNA for 7 years now whilst simultaneously appointing dinosaurs like Boothroyd to manage the top young talent.
I wondered if I was missing something and Boothroyd was actually a progressive manager off the field, similar to Big Sam who was into analytics before it went mainstream.

Frostie

I wondered if I was missing something and Boothroyd was actually a progressive manager off the field, similar to Big Sam who was into analytics before it went mainstream.

He has a great deal of coaching qualifications so fair play to him for that. However he got in to the England setup (initially as U20s manager) as he's close, personal friends with then FA 'Director of Elite Development' Dan Ashworth.
He'd just been sacked by Northampton, leaving them bottom of League 2 yet 2 months later he was England U20s Manager.

SBT

Do people really care about the performances of the U21 side? Surely the focus should be on player development rather than results?

Frostie

Do people really care about the performances of the U21 side? Surely the focus should be on player development rather than results?

Of course but in developing them you'd want to see some signs of progression.

Do you think taking a collection of Premier League regulars to zero Shots on Target from open play in 2 consecutive games against weaker opposition is a sign that he's developing them?

Evo1883

Do you think taking a collection of Premier League regulars to zero Shots on Target from open play in 2 consecutive games against weaker opposition is a sign that he's developing them?
It's important to note that the German u21 side of the early 2010s many of them went on to play and win the world Cup with the mens team in 2014

It's important

SBT

No-one on here needs convincing about Aidy Boothroyd's management style. I just find the idea that the U21 manager of any country could ever be on the hotseat because of how they're doing in a tournament, or during a run of a few games, to be deeply weird.

I didn't know that fans even gave a shit about U21 results for starters!

Terry Gibson's perm

Watching the game all hail Boothroyd they have scored a goal.

It is nice to see the Lino stuck his flag up when the bloke is offside rather than waiting for an age to see what happens

procdoc

Boothroyd is just terrible. Hopefully England crashing out will mean he gets the boot. They should give it to Eddie Howe as he’s a bright, young manager who encourages good football

Terry Gibson's perm

Boothroyd is just terrible. Hopefully England crashing out will mean he gets the boot. They should give it to Eddie Howe as he’s a bright, young manager who encourages good football

He should not be sacked he should quit and take no payoff, they will probably let him run his contract down and then not renew it wasting time and money on this joker.

Winny the Bish

Miserable failure from Boothroyd and a tactical disasterclass to knock England out.

2-0 up and not being caused any issues by Croatia at all. Brings off a midfielder to go 5 at the back. Where does the space for the goal come from? Midfield.

Croatia's strikers hadn't posed a threat all game. There was no need to bring another defender on.

David O'Day

Why would he be interested in the U21 job?

fernandopartridge

It's hard to really remember much about his period in charge here, we had a good start to the season but it was pretty one dimensional percentage football. I think he only won once after that Leeds game in early November when we were in 4th position in the table. It says a lot that people were keen on Thorn taking over!

procdoc

It's hard to really remember much about his period in charge here, we had a good start to the season but it was pretty one dimensional percentage football. I think he only won once after that Leeds game in early November when we were in 4th position in the table. It says a lot that people were keen on Thorn taking over!
Once we got found out that season there was no plan b.

David O'Day

He might not be. However I’m sure he would have ambitions to manage the full national team and one way of progressing to that job is to do well with the U21s.

No way he takes that job, if he wants back into management there are many clubs that will give him a job he'd take before the U21s

Users who are viewing this thread