An insult to the memory of Jimmy Hill (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Chatting shit again Grendel. Our lowest average gate in the 70's was over 19k. But lets not let FACTS get in the way eh! :)

We had a gate against Middlesborough of around 12,000 in 1976 which was I believe the lowest league attendance in division one we'd experienced.

You know that time. It's not long after you played there and claimed there were 20,000 present when there were 8,000

Grendel

I wouldn't argue that those decisions weren't in the best interest of the club. But you're missing the point Moff. Did JH make those decisions or any other decisions for that matter in what he thought was the best interests of the club or did he make them in the best interest of an anonymous outside party? I think you probably know the answer to that one and that is the difference. Also Grendull seems to be concentrating on things he got wrong as chairman in some poor taste attempt to exonerate SISU. How about listing some of his achievements as chairman for balance. I'm sure he didn't get everything wrong. Then maybe try doing the same exercise with SISU's failures and achievements (ha ha, I used SISU and achievement in the same sentence). I bet there isn't a comparison. That's even before you start adding his achievements as manager into the equation. Dancing on his grave is an understatement for Grendulls wumming on this thread.

It's not wumming he was a poor chairman. How is that dancing on his grave? It's reality - they were not good times at all and things only improved when he left the club. It's not "poor taste" it's fact and you haven't got a clue so why are you even arguing about something you know nothing about?

It was a shit period and was going downhill fast. Still at the time I attended 90% of home and away games so during that period went to more ccfc games than you've managed in your entire life Tony.

Moff

I wouldn't argue that those decisions weren't in the best interest of the club. But you're missing the point Moff. Did JH make those decisions or any other decisions for that matter in what he thought was the best interests of the club or did he make them in the best interest of an anonymous outside party? I think you probably know the answer to that one and that is the difference. Also Grendull seems to be concentrating on things he got wrong as chairman in some poor taste attempt to exonerate SISU. How about listing some of his achievements as chairman for balance. I'm sure he didn't get everything wrong. Then maybe try doing the same exercise with SISU's failures and achievements (ha ha, I used SISU and achievement in the same sentence). I bet there isn't a comparison. That's even before you start adding his achievements as manager into the equation. Dancing on his grave is an understatement for Grendulls wumming on this thread.

I am keeping out of the SISU stuff on this one, as its well documented my feelings on them and its just going over old ground.

Re JH, sadly his time as Chairman ended poorly, and as a young impressionable fan at the time I was gutted to see such a talented group of players leave. As a young kid many of them were heroes to me, and its a pity that being someone who wasn't old enough to witness him as manager of the club, but being brought up knowing all about his heroics from my dad, I was upset how it ended for him, the club, and us the fans. I attended a fans forum in his last year as chairman and the vitriol some fans showed him about the cost of the Connexion and the poor investment in America has stayed with me as I felt so sorry that a great of the club was treated like that. I guess that's why my memory of the era has stayed fairly vivid.

He did do a lot of good as Chairman, and his love for the club was always apparent. I met him a couple of times and he was great, and I still have a letter he sent to me after I wrote to him as a young schoolkid. Obviously his achievements as a manger are without question, but personally I do think his best achievement as Chairman is to still piss off so many Sunderland fans nearly forty years on after flashing the Sunderland score on the scoreboard. Top man! ;)

dadgad

A proud club has been dismantled by corporate greed. It could be great again but
not with Sisu.
Let me know they've left.

skybluetony176

I am keeping out of the SISU stuff on this one, as its well documented my feelings on them and its just going over old ground.

Re JH, sadly his time as Chairman ended poorly, and as a young impressionable fan at the time I was gutted to see such a talented group of players leave. As a young kid many of them were heroes to me, and its a pity that being someone who wasn't old enough to witness him as manager of the club, but being brought up knowing all about his heroics from my dad, I was upset how it ended for him, the club, and us the fans. I attended a fans forum in his last year as chairman and the vitriol some fans showed him about the cost of the Connexion and the poor investment in America has stayed with me as I felt so sorry that a great of the club was treated like that. I guess that's why my memory of the era has stayed fairly vivid.

He did do a lot of good as Chairman, and his love for the club was always apparent. I met him a couple of times and he was great, and I still have a letter he sent to me after I wrote to him as a young schoolkid. Obviously his achievements as a manger are without question, but personally I do think his best achievement as Chairman is to still piss off so many Sunderland fans nearly forty years on after flashing the Sunderland score on the scoreboard. Top man! ;)

Not being funny Moff but my beef was with JH being held in the same regard as SISU by Grendull. If you wanted to keep out of the SISU stuff you'd probably shouldn't have involved yourself in the argument because it was as much about SISU as it was JH. Still, I'm sure Grendull appreciated your intervention.

Sky Blue Kid

We had a gate against Middlesborough of around 12,000 in 1976 which was I believe the lowest league attendance in division one we'd experienced.

You know that time. It's not long after you played there and claimed there were 20,000 present when there were 8,000
Lets play it your way then.... to get a average gate of 19.5k

Oh! you must be referring to the TUESDAY Night game where the attendance was 14k.... Those naughty Teesiders could have brought a few fans with them eh! Grendel!
Don't forget, to get a average of 19.5k then the top end crowd for that season had to be approx 25k ;)
tumblr_ny1j13H3C11shcz4do1_250.gif

Last edited:

Moff

Not being funny Moff but my beef was with JH being held in the same regard as SISU by Grendull. If you wanted to keep out of the SISU stuff you'd probably shouldn't have involved yourself in the argument because it was as much about SISU as it was JH. Still, I'm sure Grendull appreciated your intervention.

Not being funny Tony, but I was being adult and talking about a point of interest from the Clubs past. If that's difficult for you too comprehend and you just want to argue with people, continually write the same shit about SISU then you fill your boots. If you want to chat without involving SISU about something from the club's history then let me know when you want to.

Gazolba

The present day ccfc is an insult to the memory of Jimmy Hill and all he achieved for the Sky Blues. <snip>
Everything changes over time. Shops where I used to buy stuff have gone, restaurants I used to eat at are no more, pubs I took girlfriends to are demolished. Nothing says you have to support a football club forever. I'll still hope for the best and look at their results with interest. My expectations and hopes have, however, taken a nosedive. As you say, we are now buoyed up by a single win over lowly opposition. That's all we can hope for at present.

Irish Sky Blue

I said on the last half century - I'm completely right
Last half century takes you back to 1966. We had an average of 28000 in 66-67. The 3 seasons following promotion we had average gates of over 30000. Over the years we have had many gates of over 30000. The Fergie- Wallace season of the late seventies saw an average of over 23000. Stands to reason that many gates in that season were over 25000.

Irish Sky Blue

Your maths are way out Grendel..
This is just at the Ricoh

Coventry City 0–2 Chelsea FA Cup quarter-final 7 March 2009 31,407 [77]
Coventry City 0–3 Crewe Alexandra Football League Trophy area-final 5 February 2013 31,054 [78]
Coventry City 2–3 Leeds United Football League Championship 6 November 2010 28,184 [84]
Coventry City 0–5 West Bromwich Albion FA Cup Fifth Round 16 February 2008 28,163 [86]
Coventry City 1–1 Middlesbrough FA Cup Fourth Round 28 January 2006 28,120 [87]
Coventry City 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 26 April 2008 27,992 [88]
Coventry City 1–0 Gillingham Football League One 5 September 2014 27,306 [89]
Coventry City 0–1 Birmingham City Football League Championship 31 October 2006 27,212 [90]
Coventry City 2–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 2 January 2006 26,851 [91]
Coventry City 1–1 Leicester City Football League Championship 17 April 2006 26,672 [92]
Coventry City 1–1 Leeds United Football League Championship 18 March 2006 26,643 [93]
Coventry City 0–1 West Bromwich Albion Football League Championship 28 April 2007 26,343 [94]

At Highfield road...
After 1980 capacity was cut to 20k for nearly 5 years.
1980 19.315
1979 22.638
1978 23.353
1977 21.242
1976 19.370
1975 19.100
1974 23.280
1973 24.623
1972 23.724
1971 26.039
1970 32.043
1969 33.223
1968 34.705
1967 28.269
1966 25.370
1965 26.621
1964 26.017
1963 17.098
Sorry only just seen this. Proves what I said above. Some people love to slate Their own fans. Don't know why.

Grendel

I'm not comparing Sisu to Jimmy hill as anyone with a brain can work out. There is no argument little munchkin just your hero worship as ever.

Grendel

Sorry only just seen this. Proves what I said above. Some people love to slate Their own fans. Don't know why.

I said home fans - at the Ricoh it's even worse than I thought

phildownunder

I wasn`t going to buy into this thread, but you know how stuff you either agree or disagree strongly with gets you going!
I started going to HR in the 50s so I saw the full before and after of the JH revolution and will always be grateful to him for what was achieved. It was truly an exciting time to be a sky blues fan.
However I cannot go along with this "insult to the memory" sentiment. His second time at the club was, as pointed out by Grendel and Moff, not a success.The Detroit Express venture and the Sky Blue Connexion drained funds many thought would have been better invested on the playing side and the sudden decision to make HR all seater enraged most of us. He also didn`t give the managers of the time the kind of support he`d had under Derrick Robins. Most were frankly glad to see him leave.
I have no doubt he acted in what he saw as the best interests of the club but the problem I think was that his greatest asset in his first period, his fund of ideas and instinct for innovation, became his greatest liabilty. I think his earlier success had led him to believe he was infallible.
I didn`t want to denigrate someone who did so much for this club, but I feel a sense of proportion is needed. He was human and like all of us prone to making mistakes.
I think it is better to recognise his achievements without attempting to deify him or bring his name into the present sorry state of the club.

Wheelfass

I wasn`t going to buy into this thread, but you know how stuff you either agree or disagree strongly with gets you going!
I started going to HR in the 50s so I saw the full before and after of the JH revolution and will always be grateful to him for what was achieved. It was truly an exciting time to be a sky blues fan.
However I cannot go along with this "insult to the memory" sentiment. His second time at the club was, as pointed out by Grendel and Moff, not a success.The Detroit Express venture and the Sky Blue Connexion drained funds many thought would have been better invested on the playing side and the sudden decision to make HR all seater enraged most of us. He also didn`t give the managers of the time the kind of support he`d had under Derrick Robins. Most were frankly glad to see him leave.
I have no doubt he acted in what he saw as the best interests of the club but the problem I think was that his greatest asset in his first period, his fund of ideas and instinct for innovation, became his greatest liabilty. I think his earlier success had led him to believe he was infallible.
I didn`t want to denigrate someone who did so much for this club, but I feel a sense of proportion is needed. He was human and like all of us prone to making mistakes.
I think it is better to recognise his achievements without attempting to deify him or bring his name into the present sorry state of the club.
Nicely summed up PDU.

Voice_of_Reason

I have to agree with you but even then all seater stadiums became compulsory. At least JH acted in the interests of the club, even though they failed. He was nowhere as bad as SISU under his chairmanship. My comparison was for his time as Manager alongside a pro-active Board of Directors.

ajsccfc

Never had Cov players come to my primary school, lucky sods. I did used to go to the Christmas parties though, still got a polaroid knocking around of Greg Downs and Oggy, who was dressed as Santa with me sat on his knee looking terrified*

*mostly because it was last year, yo ho ho

Nick

Administrator
I think you need to chill out before you have a Heart Attack, the way you're pushing the "Kids thing" you come across as slightly unhinged mate.

Not really, it is in reply to people saying nothing happens.

Sorry if it hurts to see some good stuff actually happening. I am pretty sure there is some irony in you calling anybody unhinged.

skybluebeduff

Sky Blue Sam was at Race Leyes school in Bedworth yesterday handing out leaflets for footie training at The Oval next month, my kids haven't seen him since Port Vale at home last year.

Sky Blue Kid

Not really, it is in reply to people saying nothing happens.

Sorry if it hurts to see some good stuff actually happening. I am pretty sure there is some irony in you calling anybody unhinged.

Don't talk fucking stupid Nick. Of course it isn't hurting to see good stuff happening, but you keep pushing it. No need to, you've shown it happens..... at least 4 times now!
And no Irony mate. Just look back over your posts on this thread... You're like a rabid dog ;)

Nick

Administrator
Don't talk fucking stupid Nick. Of course it isn't hurting to see good stuff happening, but you keep pushing it. No need to, you've shown it happens..... at least 4 times now!
And no Irony mate. Just look back over your posts on this thread... You're like a rabid dog ;)

There obviously is a need to, as people keep saying it doesn't happen and try to make out it doesn't?

What's wrong with pushing the good stuff? The same as posting about the get back to work scheme?

Sky Blue Kid

There obviously is a need to, as people keep saying it doesn't happen and try to make out it doesn't?

What's wrong with pushing the good stuff? The same as posting about the get back to work scheme?

No problem with it as such, but there is lots of other stuff you could push as well. You've got tunnel vision on this one mate ;)

Nick

Administrator
No problem with it as such, but there is lots of other stuff you could push as well. You've got tunnel vision on this one mate ;)

Not really, I have tried to push this for months. It's because people like you and others on this thread like to give it the "they dont do anything" line far too often but then aren't actually that fussed when it is happening.

NorthernWisdom

Not really, I have tried to push this for months. It's because people like you and others on this thread like to give it the "they dont do anything" line far too often but then aren't actually that fussed when it is happening.

tbf it's not remotely on the same scale as Hill's stuff, it's not remotely as pioneering. We're pointing to one example, and missing the hundreds of firsts that Hill managed to come up with - transmitting games on the big screens etc, making a club vibrant and forward thinking.

And as for the oxygen of publicity, I'd be pretty sure that even if Hill had had all the local media lined up in front of him and against him, he'd have guaranteed that what he was doing was heard by the city and beyond.

What we have is well-meaning volunteers and unerpaid staff doing their best. What we don't have is a progressive, dynamic culture at the club.

Nick

Administrator
tbf it's not remotely on the same scale as Hill's stuff, it's not remotely as pioneering. We're pointing to one example, and missing the hundreds of firsts that Hill managed to come up with - transmitting games on the big screens etc, making a club vibrant and forward thinking.

And as for the oxygen of publicity, I'd be pretty sure that even if Hill had had all the local media lined up in front of him and against him, he'd have guaranteed that what he was doing was heard by the city and beyond.

What we have is well-meaning volunteers and unerpaid staff doing their best. What we don't have is a progressive, dynamic culture at the club.

That's why I have only ever compared it to the kids stuff, it isn't going out there and pioneering new things and methods but it is being done.

The same as the back to work schemes that are done that are decent.

I've also said over and over that it isn't being done because of SISU or Fisher, it's despite them.

Things have changed a lot since those days though haven't they? I am not saying that people shouldn't be doing new things. How many football teams have their chairman doing the PR? They have teams for that now, don't get me wrong ours has been dog shit like I said back in the thread.

It is a PS4 / Sky Sports culture, the next thing will be streaming games live for a subscription fee but that will then depend on rights, TV companies etc and not the club being able to do it themselves. (like sky blues player).

The only thing off the top of my head that's been pioneered recently is Forest Green Rovers and the vegan stuff and the wooden stadium. (There probably is more, will need to google it).

My point was about people who do keep saying things about "the next generation" and nothing been done, not going into schools etc. There is plenty being done, it just gets overshadowed so people block it out.

NorthernWisdom

That's why I have only ever compared it to the kids stuff, it isn't going out there and pioneering new things and methods but it is being done.
But this thread begins:

The present day ccfc is an insult to the memory of Jimmy Hill and all he achieved for the Sky Blues. He transformed an ailing club into a major force and built a foundation for it's future only to have it dismantled over the last ten years by successive owners before sisu arrived to virtually finish it's demolition.
I can no longer live on memories of the 60's 70's 80's and 90's,
although they will always remain dear to my heart.
I no longer recognise ccfc as my club, the ccfc I new has been in terminal decline until, to my mind, it no longer exists.
I have no enthusiasm for the team now masquerading as ccfc, to me it no longer is ccfc - my ccfc is no more. It has passed away. RIP ccfc.

Now, VoR may be a bit of an old drama queen ;) but that's not an unreasonable positition for the OP to take, is it?

Nick

Administrator
But this thread begins:

Now, VoR may be a bit of an old drama queen ;) but that's not an unreasonable positition for the OP to take, is it?

I did do a longish reply to VOR :)

How many club's chairmen in the football league are like it? It is all corporate, it isn't the chairman telling the players to get their arse down to the local hospital it is the team they have setup to arrange it all.

Non league will be full of chairmen like this which is why I can see people are swayed by that rather than the football league nowadays, the chairman will be in the bar with the fans and they are community clubs.

How many chairmen have the status he had and the appeal? If the Leicester owner walked into the hospital to see the kids would they have any clue what was going on, they would want Jamie Vardy because they have seen him on Fifa and Sky Sports.

Then you could also say that's football, whether we like it or not. Things are still getting done (not just in regards to the next generation), it isn't the chairmen doing it and arranging it, as the clubs all have teams in place to do it. That's why mentioning the good stuff we do, isn't giving credit to Fisher or SISU.

NorthernWisdom

How many chairmen

But we're talking about the manager here.

But we're also talking about one isolated part of the whole which, if that's all we can come up with, shows how we are letting down the next generation, and giving them no hope.

Because there's no buzz about the club, there's no passion. Instead there's the valiant atempts by a small group to swim against the tide.

The only one who's even tried to do something in that regard in the past decade is Paul Fletcher.

Nick

Administrator
But we're talking about the manager here.

But we're also talking about one isolated part of the whole which, if that's all we can come up with, shows how we are letting down the next generation, and giving them no hope.

Because there's no buzz about the club, there's no passion. Instead there's the valiant atempts by a small group to swim against the tide.

The only one who's even tried to do something in that regard in the past decade is Paul Fletcher.

OK, well how many managers do that now? Loads of managers don't even go out on the training grounds hardly.

I can see why it would be great if we had a manager who did, but I can also see why things are different now.

I know what you mean about the buzz, I mentioned they need to take the buzz that the people who do try like the JSB people and then learn / expand from it and pass it to everybody else who isn't a JSB. They need to take the buzz that the kid's get when they go in the family zone and the general atmosphere and then pass it on to everybody else.

Users who are viewing this thread