Angry mum sues leisure centre for £20k claiming 'staff stopped her breastfeeding' (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/angry-mum-sues-leisure-centre-7877871

Woman breast feeding IN a swimming pool where there was a wave machine, a staff member asked her if she wanted a chair. She is sueing them and went off on one about it being illegal to stop somebody from breast feeding in public.

I swear people like this do things like that just to get the reaction so they can go off on one.

The judge should tell her to stop wasting people's time as it is the second time she has done it.

Easy money maker!

Sick Boy

It the US culture seeping more and more into our own. Try this in other European countries and it would get laughed at before it even reached the papers.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is though, the media help it.

It shouldn't get anywhere near to a courtroom, she should be told if it does she will be paying all costs for being a dick.

Sick Boy

The thing is though, the media help it.

It shouldn't get anywhere near to a courtroom, she should be told if it does she will be paying all costs for being a dick.

As long as there is a culture of suing others then sadly this will continue.

armybike

I'm all for breastfeeding, but reads as though she's going out of her way to take offence and create as soon as anyone speaks to her about it.

"Would it be easier for you to be have a seat?"

"HOW DARE YOU TRY AND QUESTION MY ABILITY AS A MOTHER!"

"No, I was just thinking...."

"That I should be locked in the kitchen cooking and ironing!"

"No, you've misunderstood what I..."

"So now you're trying to say I'm stupid and not capable of independent thinking! "

and on and on and on........

ccfc92

A spokesman for East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust said it was “disappointing to hear that our offer of a room to allow Mrs Stocker privacy and comfort was misinterpreted on this occasion and we are sorry for any upset.”
Last night Abbie confirmed she was suing Wavelengths.
She said: “I can’t talk about that. The way they handled it was not positive.
They could have learned from it but they chose not to.”
Abbie added: “It has happened at a few other places but it was the way they have handled it in a fantastic manner.
They realised they have made the mistakes, have learned from it and introduced policies to stop it from happening to somebody else, which is why I have never taken action.“Breastfeeding women are no different to a disabled person or a person of a different nationality in the way you can’t discriminate against them.”
Pendle Leisure Trust, which runs the centre, confirmed legal action was being taken against them.

I don't understand this part, who could have learned? How is the pool linked with the hospital? :S

Last edited:

ccfc92

Got to love the "Woman verbally abused for breastfeeding" video to support this "blatant discrimination"

Can't believe stories like this are given the time of day. The life guard was trying to think of everyone's comfort, not just the mother and baby. It would be different if they asked her to leave the pool area completely.

Armybike's post is probably not far off how the conversation went.

Nick

Administrator
A spokesman for East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust said it was “disappointing to hear that our offer of a room to allow Mrs Stocker privacy and comfort was misinterpreted on this occasion and we are sorry for any upset.”
Last night Abbie confirmed she was suing Wavelengths.
She said: “I can’t talk about that. The way they handled it was not positive.
They could have learned from it but they chose not to.”
Abbie added: “It has happened at a few other places but it was the way they have handled it in a fantastic manner.
They realised they have made the mistakes, have learned from it and introduced policies to stop it from happening to somebody else, which is why I have never taken action.“Breastfeeding women are no different to a disabled person or a person of a different nationality in the way you can’t discriminate against them.”
Pendle Leisure Trust, which runs the centre, confirmed legal action was being taken against them.

I don't understand this part, who could have learned? How is the pool linked with the hospital? :S

Because that was a different time she was being a dick!

Nick

Administrator
Got to love the "Woman verbally abused for breastfeeding" video to support this "blatant discrimination"

Can't believe stories like this are given the time of day. The life guard was trying to think of everyone's comfort, not just the mother and baby. It would be different if they asked her to leave the pool area completely.

Armybike's post is probably not far off how the conversation went.

Will be alright, I'll take a bottle of Yop in next time I go and kick off if they ask me to take it out.

Terry Gibson's perm

This constant suing is a reason why we have to pay so much for everything as the insurance is crazy, our car insurance went up £70 this year and all we had different was one more years no claims discount.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Surely this isn't hygienic if your IN the pool?
Of course it isn't hygenic, she probably sets out to breastfeed in the most inappropriate places just to provoke a reaction. When she doesn't get one she flies off the handle.

As people have said in the comments, she should get done for neglect for putting her baby in danger by exposing it to infection and other nasty stuff from a swimming pool.

ccfc92

Looks like this isn't the first time she's tried this. The hospital one is separate.

Yeah I get that, but the quotes don't make sense.

Anyway, I hope she gets her "case" thrown out and fined for wasting police/court time.

Sky_Blue_Daz

She's gonna try it of the top board next time

MatthewWallis

What an idiot. I don't get what she is actually after money for, why has she plucked a £20,000 figure out of thin air? If something happened to me I'd probably just complain not try and get money for absolutely no reason at all

Covstu

This is probably about the tenth public place she has tried this in order to get a 'bite' (excuse the pun). A sensible court will state that they did not remove your right to Brestfeed only allocated a more suitable case. Shame she isn't going to rack up bills for trying this, no win no fee job however this could start a hole raft of similar types of treatment. Cafes, restaurants, trains etc etc. She wins then watch the sparks fly!

skybluetony176

Attitudes in this country towards breastfeeding in public need to change. My wife breast-fed both our children. Not one drop of formula ever passed their lips and that's something I am so proud of my wife for, it's just one of the many reasons my wife is probably my biggest hero in the world. We had many dirty looks from people of all generations while breastfeeding in public. We were never disrespectful, my wife's breast was never on display but the look's did come.

However, if you whack one out and start breastfeeding in a public swimming pool you have issues. If for no other reason that you're not thinking of your child. Public pools are filthy and unhygienic. Why does she think they fill it full of chlorine? We've been swimming both home and abroad when the kids were breastfeeding and wouldn't dream of doing this without A) getting out of the unhygienic environment and B) washed my wife's breast first especially the nipple area. This woman probably thinks she's a pro-breastfeeding hero. Personally as someone very pro-breastfeeding and keen to change perceptions and ignorance over breastfeeding in public have to say she's doing more harm than good.

Nick

Administrator
Attitudes in this country towards breastfeeding in public need to change. My wife breast-fed both our children. Not one drop of formula ever passed their lips and that's something I am so proud of my wife for, it's just one of the many reasons my wife is probably my biggest hero in the world. We had many dirty looks from people of all generations while breastfeeding in public. We were never disrespectful, my wife's breast was never on display but the look's did come.

However, if you whack one out and start breastfeeding in a public swimming pool you have issues. If for no other reason that you're not thinking of your child. Public pools are filthy and unhygienic. Why does she think they fill it full of chlorine? We've been swimming both home and abroad when the kids were breastfeeding and wouldn't dream of doing this without A) getting out of the unhygienic environment and B) washed my wife's breast first especially the nipple area. This woman probably thinks she's a pro-breastfeeding hero. Personally as someone very pro-breastfeeding and keen to change persecution's and ignorance over breastfeeding in public have to say she's doing more harm than good.

I have nothing against breast feeding or breast feeding in public. I think it is more people's attitude to it, like you say she does make sensible women look bad who would have gone and cleaned and then sat by the side of the pool in a comfortable position and done it.

Fair play to people who do it, and just get on with it. It is the whole "WOOOO LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" type stuff. Then somebody looks and it's "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME FOR?"

hill83

However, if you whack one out and start breastfeeding in a public swimming pool you have issues. If for no other reason that you're not thinking of your child. Public pools are filthy and unhygienic. Why does she think they fill it full of chlorine? We've been swimming both home and abroad when the kids were breastfeeding and wouldn't dream of doing this without A) getting out of the unhygienic environment and B) washed my wife's breast first especially the nipple area. This woman probably thinks she's a pro-breastfeeding hero. Personally as someone very pro-breastfeeding and keen to change perceptions and ignorance over breastfeeding in public have to say she's doing more harm than good.

My son is 9 months now and we fully intended to breast feed, but taking after me in working smart not hard (lazy) he was having none of it so we had to go with formula.
He was a emergency C-section so my mrs was in hospital for 3 days, the shit she got off the nurses for not being able to breast feed him was unreal. In the end I had to demand some formula.
She tried for the next few weeks, but it was a complete no go.

Covstu

Both of ours were breastfed so I am all for it but this is just a stunt to get cash out of an organisation yes there is a lot of idiots out there that give the look to mothers like they are doing something seriously wrong but there is a still a time and a place.

chiefdave

I have no issue with breastfeeding in public whatsoever but surely you use a bit of common sense and get out of the pool.

Another thing where people are just looking out for a way to be offended. I would have thought most mothers would prefer to be discreet but then you get those who want to be as on display as possible to try and provoke a response.

skybluetony176

My son is 9 months now and we fully intended to breast feed, but taking after me in working smart not hard (lazy) he was having none of it so we had to go with formula.
He was a emergency C-section so my mrs was in hospital for 3 days, the shit she got off the nurses for not being able to breast feed him was unreal. In the end I had to demand some formula.
She tried for the next few weeks, but it was a complete no go.

That certainly couldn't have helped. We were fortunate in that both of my children were born the traditional way and the first thing both did when first handed to my wife was latch on and start feeding straight away. We were lucky in that respect.

Terry Gibson's perm

None of my three breastfeed

The first one as many know has Down's so she was in intensive care and then had surgery on the next day for imperforate anus (no bum hole to the lay man) sorry at lunch time and then had to have a special milk.

The second one tried put forgot to get off and went purple so gave up on that idea.

The third we didn't try after the shock of the second one my wife couldn't do it plus was very ill post c section

Users who are viewing this thread