Another boxer dies. Should this 'sport' be banned? (1 Viewer)

Macca

The comparisons with F1and horse racing don't really work but ban it? No, boxers are willing participants

Johnnythespider

I saw a bit about this on the news this morning but am not sure of all the details, as I understand it he was knocked down twice. While I don't want to see it banned I think once you go down that should be fight over, letting someone who has been hit hard enough to knock them down get back up to take more is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

I find it odd that when other sports are under huge pressure regarding concussions there is little talk about boxing or MMA causing issues.

Hadji10

Absolutely not, boxing saves a hell of a lot lives for kids on the street from a rough background.

Contact sports carry a risk, been more deaths in cricket and Cycling this year than boxing, should we ban them too?

Pipehitterz

I think the stats have Boxing deaths in the world behind Football players dying .
Obviously Football deaths are usually heart related, but if it's stats you're after, Football more dangerous

covcity4life

they should ban it because 99% of fights are boring.

dont get me wrong i love 2-3 boxing fights a year, but mma is gaining at a rate of knots. will only increase with every new generation.

10-20 years from now and it will be mma fights that bull in box office records.

ccfctommy

You can actually die playing any sport if you think about it....well apart from darts and snooker.

CCFC88

they should ban it because 99% of fights are boring.

dont get me wrong i love 2-3 boxing fights a year, but mma is gaining at a rate of knots. will only increase with every new generation.

10-20 years from now and it will be mma fights that bull in box office records.

No way, MMA is getting close to reaching its full potential and will start to flatten out, why do you think the UFC was sold recently, they have realised they have milked it and sold at its peak. Apart from Connor McGreggor and people he has fought I would struggle to name more than 3 other fighters and I am a big boxing fan.

Boxing gyms are at the heart of communities across the country, people send their kids there from an early age, people will not be sending their kids to an MMA gym in anywhere near the same numbers.

MMA is far more brutal than boxing to the avid viewer and for this reason it will always have a glass ceiling.

Johnnythespider

I think to try and compare deaths in boxing to other sports is a little simplistic, comparing a footballer collapsing because of heart defect to a boxer who dies because of a bleed on the brain due to being punched continually just doesn't stack up, I say this as a boxing fan.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

No way, MMA is getting close to reaching its full potential and will start to flatten out, why do you think the UFC was sold recently, they have realised they have milked it and sold at its peak. Apart from Connor McGreggor and people he has fought I would struggle to name more than 3 other fighters and I am a big boxing fan.

Boxing gyms are at the heart of communities across the country, people send their kids there from an early age, people will not be sending their kids to an MMA gym in anywhere near the same numbers.

MMA is far more brutal than boxing to the avid viewer and for this reason it will always have a glass ceiling.

it is more brutal. my dad doesnt watch it at all but wacthes boxing so i know what you mean

BUT the new generation all for the most part prefer mma to boxing. i am 34 and prefer mma to boxing.

on a ufc card you have 5 or 6 fights and most of fighters are known. on boxing you only know the main event and perhaps 1 undercard fight. and even then half the audience still sitting down.

boxing will have the super super fights always,but overall i can see landscape changing as new generations simply will pick mma as its far more exciting than boxing.

also both my nephews go to kids mma classes. learn submitions and thai boxing etc. like i said,landscape is changing

CCFC88

We will see and will have to agree to disagree,

I just cant see a time where an MMA fighter would be on the back page of papers as boxers have been and will continue to be. I think the McGreggor spike is vastly overegging the success of MMA.

Boxing has its problems at the moments, live shows in the US are really struggling but I think this has a lot to do with the absence of a Mayweather/Tyson superstar.

I see the relationship between Boxing and MMA similar to F1 and Moto GP, there is just far too much clout behind F1 for Moto GP to get a fair share of the audience and it will forever be in the shadow.

Skybluefaz

You can't really put MMA down because of a lack of MMA 'gyms' fighters enter into it from kickboxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu etc and these types of clubs have been around a long time. I'm a long time boxing fan who has recently got into UFC and I'd rather watch UFC at the moment because of the unpredictable nature of it. it's great entertainment.

covcity4life

You can't really put MMA down because of a lack of MMA 'gyms' fighters enter into it from kickboxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu etc and these types of clubs have been around a long time. I'm a long time boxing fan who has recently got into UFC and I'd rather watch UFC at the moment because of the unpredictable nature of it. it's great entertainment.

exactly

ironic that those not educated aboutt he sport think jui jitsu is boring yet defend boxing where the fighters hug each other as soon as punches are thrown

couple that with bext boxers trying to avoid each other non stop and its no wonder mma is like a breath of fresh air

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

Covstu

I generally prefer boxing but its not that I dislike UFC just not really got into it (albeit good with a few beers!). I trained in TKD for over 10 years and we were fully integrated into the community so not sure that argument sticks personally. For me you know what you are getting into when you start in any of these sports and the associated risks, take that away then the sport becomes uninteresting (similar to how football is getting in some parts...).
What I dislike is the WWE style slagging off sessions that are becoming more frequent nowadays, its just not necessary.

chiefdave

Amazes me that there's all this talk about concussion in the NFL and other sports, even heading footballs, but hardly a word said about boxing.

NorthernWisdom

Amazes me that there's all this talk about concussion in the NFL and other sports, even heading footballs, but hardly a word said about boxing.
I guess the thing is, if someone's punching you in the head repeatedly, you know that might be a danger.

It's less obvious in other sports, so publicising the links is needed more... just for awareness, if nothing else.

Personally I think if people know the risks and enjoy it, they should be allowed to do it. Maybe interviewing the bloke before a standard medical check is the wrong way around however... although am guessing in this case it wouldn't have helped him anyway.

tisza

Already compulsory annual brain scans & protocols (like rugby) for fighters knocked out/stopped by punches.
2 things need tightening up on.
1. limiting the usage of those fighters who are there just to pad other fighters' records. the 0-10s/20/30s etc fighters who are just cannon fodder.
2. tighter control of weigh-ins pre-fight. Fighters need to be an average weight over several weeks before fight. The weight loading after the weigh-in is still ridiculous - fighters can end up a couple of categories over the limit they are supposed to be fighting at.
If it's a middleweight fight then you need to be within a couple of lbs of 160lbs when you step into the ring. Being 160 at weigh-in then one fighter gets into the ring at 168 and the other at 180 always offers the potential for serious damage.

Covstu

I still don’t understand the comparisons of any combat sport to the likes of F1 and football etc. It’s like the Americans comparing deaths of guns vs cars.
People die doing sports, there is a lot of protection in boxing (a lot less in MMA) but you have two athletes pushing themselves over the limit. I don’t think there is a real answer here but I don’t feel the sport is negligent

bringbackrattles

Tragic news. But boxing is brutal yet fighters know the risks and go ahead anyway. I used to play rugby and that was a tough sport, but luckily came away after 3 seasons intact. But did some mountain biking off road and came off and broke a collar bone. So any sport has risks, and boxing I read is a lot safer than many other sports. You can never stop blokes and women fighting it's been going on for centuries, and especially with plenty of money to earn in the ring these days if you're any good more fighters will put the gloves on and step in the ring. Human beings like a scrap !

clint van damme

I still don’t understand the comparisons of any combat sport to the likes of F1 and football etc. It’s like the Americans comparing deaths of guns vs cars.
People die doing sports, there is a lot of protection in boxing (a lot less in MMA) but you have two athletes pushing themselves over the limit. I don’t think there is a real answer here but I don’t feel the sport is negligent

there's a programme on IPlayer about extreme weight loss by MMA fighters before the weigh in.
Brutal what they put themselves through and lead to a few deaths.

Nick

Administrator
there's a programme on IPlayer about extreme weight loss by MMA fighters before the weigh in.
Brutal what they put themselves through and lead to a few deaths.

Think ive seen that, the guy just in a world of his own in the bath every 10 minutes all through the night.

Users who are viewing this thread