Any electrical experts? (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Anyone running a book on this ? See who kills nick. ?

Nick

Administrator
Anyone running a book on this ? See who kills nick. ?

I have been checking who is saying what and who I have insulted before.

giphy.gif

OffenhamSkyBlue

Hi nick I'm a sparky..two lives together are live loops keep them in a connector separate as they keep your feed other lights...the single red is a switch wire which connects to live in your new light..blacks in same connector connect to the neutral N on new fitting and earth wires to earth terminal on fitting...you should have green and yellow sleeving over bare earth wires. Obviously turn circuit breaker off before doing anything ..obviously that's just going on what I can see and you can never be sure without checking it out for myself but that would be a standard wiring situation at a light..hope this helps..regards lee
So where is the third live for the "loop" - you need a permanent live to the switch as well, but i can only see three reds in total, one of which doesn't go anywhere!

Nick

Administrator
Sorry, I'm not trying to keep it like an X Factor winner reveal.

Haven't had chance to play about with it yet.

Mcbean

Unless you are proficient with A multi meter I would get one of these pens that you just touch the insolation and it will light up if live - much simpler and less chance of not being right

OffenhamSkyBlue

Unless you are proficient with A multi meter I would get one of these pens that you just touch the insolation and it will light up if live - much simpler and less chance of not being right
Or the audible ones, which are very useful if you're visually-impaired !

Nick

Administrator
So I treated myself to a testing screwdriver and it was pretty simple.

I connected all the reds together and left the black ones seperate, then I tested which had current when the switch was on but didnt when it was off.

Put the earth in, the switched wire into Live and the others into N and job done.

olderskyblue

How much did the electrician charge you ? ;)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Stick a brown collar around the switched live feed for future reference. Or a bit of brown tape. Something to identify it. Electrical compliance and all that !

Nick

Administrator
Stick a brown collar around the switched live feed for future reference. Or a bit of brown tape. Something to identify it. Electrical compliance and all that !

Cheers, yep I did! I put a connector on the ones going into the light and marked the cables the same colour as the ones in the light to make it easy next time!

fatso

What are the odds on Nick elecricuting himself and ending up another covid19 victim?

Nick

Administrator
What are the odds on Nick elecricuting himself and ending up another covid19 victim?

I've completed it, now fitted a dimmer switch too.

Fully qualified electrical, next week I will be up a cherry picker fixing the cables on pilons.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I'm gradually changing my switches and sockets to brushed steel from ghastly outdated brass with rope-effect detail ..
Slight problem i'm finding is that they only put 3/4 inch back boxes in the walls, so something like an LED dimmer struggles to fit. Really looking forward to doing a 3-gang switch at the bottom of the stairs, which controls the outside light, the landing lights (as a 2-way circuit), and the hall (which is THREE-way, and i can't remember which is the intermediate switch, which are a bastard) - so many wires of all sorts of colours and collars!

Users who are viewing this thread