Anybody know why Carlisle on a Thursday night (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

OP, to answer your question, its because we rent a stadium and the owners (Northampton FC) have priority when matches are scheduled to be on the same day.

Grendel

When he was sacked I was convinced he would never manage again, despite a fair few on here saying he'd be snapped up.

Some of the things said about him behind the scenes by ex City players though were quite shocking and just showed how clueless he truly was.

Yes I know. I'm sure one day someone when they retire will spill the beans about Andy thorn and his catastrophic management of the club that hugely contributed to our relegation. How stories haven't yet surfaced I don't know. How anyone could have ever supported the useless pile of shit is beyond me.

J

Jack Griffin

Yes I know. I'm sure one day someone when they retire will spill the beans about Andy thorn and his catastrophic management of the club that hugely contributed to our relegation. How stories haven't yet surfaced I don't know. How anyone could have ever supported the useless pile of shit is beyond me.

If you think he was so bad then please tell me then why did SISU put up with him for so long, he was in charge for 60 games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

Please tell me then why did SISU put up with him for so long, he was in charge for 60 games?

I think you'll find most people on here demanded he was appointed, never blamed him for relegation and actively encouraged his retention into league one. He was the fans choice - it shows what most fans know.

ccfcway

I think you'll find most people on here demanded he was appointed, never blamed him for relegation and actively encouraged his retention into league one. He was the fans choice - it shows what most fans know.

was it our choice to sell top scorer Juke ?

johnwillomagic

I am frankly amazed that both mmm and Dong have not defended big Andy...they both guaranteed he would be in a new job in a monht after he was sacked....totally and utterly wrong!!!

Grendel

was it our choice to sell top scorer Juke ?

What's that got to do with anything? We actually significantly improved our points per game when he left.

J

Jack Griffin

Are you suggesting SISU listened to the fans? What an extraordinary idea!

Grendel

Are you suggesting SISU listened to the fans? What an extraordinary idea!

Why not? Thorn was as cheap as chips and would stick his head in a bowl of excrement as long as he kept getting paid. The fact our fans kept bigging him up made life for Dulieu very easy. His bench sitting was clearly a way of trying to force thorn to resign. If he'd been sacked they'd have been a huge outcry. Look at some old threads about thorn and see what was said about him.

He was useless, clueless and that's being polite.

Otis

I recall Brian Roberts saying he was shocked at what he saw behind the scenes and said the whole set-up resembled a holiday camp and everything was so laid back and lax.

Nice bloke but surely up there with the worst City managers ever. Technically inept doesn't even begin to describe it.

Grendel

I recall Brian Roberts saying he was shocked at what he saw behind the scenes and said the whole set-up resembled a holiday camp and everything was so laid back and lax.

Nice bloke but surely up there with the worst City managers ever. Technically inept doesn't even begin to describe it.

Well he had something. Still after the Southampton shambles people on here were defending him and demanding he stayed on. I am sure with a proper manager with real planned pre season training we'd have been promoted and because of that would be still at the Ricoh.

J

Jack Griffin

Well he had something. Still after the Southampton shambles people on here were defending him and demanding he stayed on. I am sure with a proper manager with real planned pre season training we'd have been promoted and because of that would be still at the Ricoh.

Well, what was Steve Waggot doing during this period if you think it was a shambles? Surely it was in his remit to keep at least a weather an eye on such matters.. I'm just confused as to why all blame should go to one person.. there are others too.. Steve Ogrizovic, Richard Shaw & Gregor Rioch were all there at the time & perhaps should have said something if things were grossly awry..

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

Well, what was Steve Waggot doing during this period if you think it was a shambles? Surely it was in his remit to keep at least a weather an eye on such matters..

I think you'll find I said both him and fisher should have been fired for giving him a second chance. However fans should have demanded his sacking and not made him out to be some kind of victim - he certainly was no victim and we've paid a heavy price.

Hobo

In fairness it's been a holiday camp at city for years, judged by their training efforts in a local sports facility. Players half hearted in training programmes, bitching about each other and the management in earshot of the public and some of those being fans. I know a few fans who drifted away from supporting the club because of it.

This can be traced back to Coleman if not before. I don't think it was always that tight under Strachan.

JimmyHillsbeard

"Perhaps the legacy of Andy’s tenure at Coventry will be that he successfully acquired numerous players on free transfers, all of whom soon became considerable assets to the club (most of whom were sold on promptly), such as Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Anar Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz. It would be no exaggeration to say that but for the discovery and then sale of some of these players, Coventry may well not have survived."

FFS first two were only on loan, none of the permanents were free, and none were signed when Thorn was manager.

Oh and at least two of the names are wrong.

It's that type of attention to detail that typified Thorn as manager. Remember the fist pumping salute to the SBA on a day when we had scraped a draw at Burnley as Forest and Bristol City both won and put us ever closer to relegation?

Grendel

"Perhaps the legacy of Andy’s tenure at Coventry will be that he successfully acquired numerous players on free transfers, all of whom soon became considerable assets to the club (most of whom were sold on promptly), such as Jordan Henderson, Jack Cork, Danny Fox, Scott Dann, Keiron Westwood, Richard Keogh, Anar Gunnarsson and Lucas Jutkewitcz. It would be no exaggeration to say that but for the discovery and then sale of some of these players, Coventry may well not have survived."

FFS first two were only on loan, none of the permanents were free, and none were signed when Thorn was manager.

Oh and at least two of the names are wrong.

It's that type of attention to detail that typified Thorn as manager. Remember the fist pumping salute to the SBA on a day when we had scraped a draw at Burnley as Forest and Bristol City both won and put us ever closer to relegation?

Fox and Dann were signed before he even joined the club!

Otis

In fairness it's been a holiday camp at city for years, judged by their training efforts in a local sports facility. Players half hearted in training programmes, bitching about each other and the management in earshot of the public and some of those being fans. I know a few fans who drifted away from supporting the club because of it.

This can be traced back to Coleman if not before. I don't think it was always that tight under Strachan.

I just remember Roberts saying it was a complete change and breath of fresh air when Robins came. Before, under Thorn, there was a total lack of discipline and it was all too pally pally, without strict training regimes etc.

Hobo

I was pleased when I heard Pressley say he wanted to change the culture at the club.

I think it's been too easy for too long, a second best attitude will do.

I think Pressley wants effort but wants to be winners as well.

Grendel

When did he join? Was he scouting for us?

No its just another myth by those obsessed with thorn. Thorn was at Fulham when Dann and Fix were signed. Dowie was the manager.

hinkleee boyz

No its just another myth by those obsessed with thorn. Thorn was at Fulham when Dann and Fix were signed. Dowie was the manager.

Just remind me grendull, who hired Mr Thorn for you and stuck with him even after relegation? Wasn't SISU was it? No wonder your fellow fans think your a div!

Hobo

I must admit I thought it was Richard Money who scouted Fox and Dann but might be wrong?

I also seem to remember Thorn didn't want the Managers job and it was the club that persuaded him?

fernandopartridge

I must admit I thought it was Richard Money who scouted Fox and Dann but might be wrong?

I also seem to remember Thorn didn't want the Managers job and it was the club that persuaded him?

No, I think Richard Money was actually the seller of Fox and Dann in that he was the Walsall manager at the time. May be wrong, though.

The fans' backed Thorn on the back of erm, 2 or 3 wins from his 11 or so games when he was in caretaker charge.

Nick

Administrator
Can't blame Thorn if Sisu give a football scout with no managing experience a managers job.:facepalm:

Were SISU not just listening to to it's fans? The same as people moan that they don't do it now? They do have to carry some of the blame though, I agree.

letsallsingtogether

Listening my arse have never listened to us.

They did it because it was cheap,everything they do is on the cheap.

Cheap ground
cheap wages
cheap rent at sixfields (if people are to be believed).
Cheap ticket prices (as a result of there inept management of our club)

Just the £1.00 shop of football.

The only time they pay out is on their own mismanagement fees and court costs.

But that was all Andy faulty as well, as for some they do no wrong....

Were SISU not just listening to to it's fans? The same as people moan that they don't do it now? They do have to carry some of the blame though, I agree.

torchomatic

torchomatic

Fans were clamouring for him to be given the post full time.

Can't blame Thorn if Sisu give a football scout with no managing experience a managers job.:facepalm:

Otis

Fans were clamouring for him to be given the post full time.

Which fans though? This is puzzling me a little as I never backed the bloke and seemingly loads of other fans didn't either..

He wasn't my choice, though I didn't exactly complain when he got the job, but I felt at the time we needed someone more experienced in.

Users who are viewing this thread