Anyone going to argue with John & alex (1 Viewer)

Astute

John sillett gave us our greatest day and knows how to manage a football team- he is disgusted that Steven Pressley has gone -an in his opinion along with a certain Alex Ferguson agree that SP was the right man for the job - who can argue with that

Is that the same Alex Ferguson that nominates anyone scottish as being a good manager.....just like his replacement that he nominated that Man U still haven't recovered from.

Nick

Administrator
Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
How many games has John Sillett watched this season under Pressley?
With the greatest respect Nick not relivent.

Whilst appreciating the 'it's a results business' eventually as a Club we must have both belief, commitment & faith in the Manager and back him, through the rough & the smooth through thick & through thin.

I missed just 1 game at Sixfields (through family commitments) and witnessed the best football I'd seen for 20yrs, then Leon threw his toys out of the pram & Callum got injured and was out for 4 months.

That mean't having to change the system & go more defensive to survive (bearing in mind a 10 point deduction), so instead of pushing for the play-offs the priority became survival and we more than did that.

Back to the Ricoh under false pretences (in hindsight wish we'd never have returned but that's another story for another 'Thread'), Gillingham great turn out but then Yeovil and all the 'fickle' so called fans, disappeared!

Just take a long hard look at our record over the last 14/15 years or so, only 1 manager walked the rest were dismissed. Do you think we will eventually give a Manager more than 2 years or 100 games??????????

Personally I have my doubts, good on JS & quite a few others for backing 'Elvis'!

One day he'll Manage in the Premiership, just wish him All the Best & Good Luck in the future, wherever it takes him.

PUSB
Even with Clarke and Wilson, he couldn't react to other managers changes still.

Astute

Even with Clarke and Wilson, he couldn't react to other managers changes still.

IMHO he was just lucky to have these players scoring for fun. It covered over what was really going wrong.

eastwoodsdustman

Since Boxing day, I have witnessed the three worst away performances by a city team that I have ever seen in 40 years. Couple that with the Turgid efforts at home and it is a clear recipe for relegation.
He might well become one of the best managers in the country but I don't want my club to be relegated as part of his 'learning curve'.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sorry but the best football I witnessed from a CCFC side in the last 20 years was the period under Eric Black...... SP last season didn't come close to that in terms of style, team performances or win rate and Black did it in a higher division

Just because two well respected fellas say good things about SP doesn't actually negate the standard of play SP has set up in taking us to threat of relegation to the 4th division. You don't have to be the worlds best manager but you do need to be a successful one and since January 2014 SP's record speaks for itself

Surely as big a loss as Clarke & Wilson were there should have been a cover plan set up by the manager, there were still other players scoring goals. Equally he never solved the defensive issues last season ...... given we scored goals for fun our goal difference was -3 at the end of the season. Kind of careless to throw away that goal advantage really.

I wonder if there is an element of mistaking team quality for excitement and winning during the first half of last season in L1

Last edited:

TheOldFive

I seriously wouldn't mind seeing Pressley prove the decision wrong with a glittering future career, that's how much I like and admire the guy. But, facing the short term reality it had to be done, if only for the dead cat bounce that comes in these circumstances. The selections, formations, in-play changes and post game reactions all suggested that SP had "lost it" in terms of chasing a winning formula and was desperately and unsuccessfully scrambling around trying to find the answer. He had been given enough time, as much resource as was available (more than most at this level, just look around) and sadly had to go. I wish him all the best and hope he finds success elsewhere.

Last edited:

johnwillomagic

I will bet that Pressley will not be managing an english premiership side next season,,,,,,,,some morons posting such garbage should be confident
enough in their convictions to take me up on this bet.......the same people that said Thorn would find a top management job......and then funnily
enough would then not put their money where their mouth was!.......where is Thorn again now????.......Man Utd......Chelsea.....erm!!!

Gosford Green

The best football I have seen at the city was under Dave Sexton and Eric Black.

SP had the basis of a good squad that would have got us promoted. What RFC missed out was his friends at SISU cashed in on Wilson to soon and failed to invest when other key players left. If they had backed SP he might have gone on the be the manager some think he might still be.

Who ever gets the job will probably benefit from a dead cat bounce and avoid the drop but in a years time we will back discussing the next incumbent.

Users who are viewing this thread