Anyone had to see/buy a property (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

That goes through probate ? We have had an offer on a house that will be going through probate but was wondering how long the process takes . Was hoping to be making a start on the work that needs doing in September?

clint van damme

That goes through probate ? We have had an offer on a house that will be going through probate but was wondering how long the process takes . Was hoping to be making a start on the work that needs doing in September?

How long is a piece of string Daz?
If it's someone with an only child who didn't leave a will it will probably be quite quick, if there's 10 money grabbing relatives staking a claim to the estate it will take longer.

skybluetony176

How long is a piece of string Daz?
If it's someone with an only child who didn't leave a will it will probably be quite quick, if there's 10 money grabbing relatives staking a claim to the estate it will take longer.
Can take a long time for other reasons too. My brother was executor for my grandmothers Will which included selling her house. The reason she chose my brother was because she was leaving everything to her 6 grandchildren and she knew my brother wouldn’t take any shit and do things to the latter. 1 of my cousins was a money grabbing bastard but the reason it took so long was because my brother wouldn’t be rushed by the money grabber who was pissing him off but also because he would only do things to the latter. Part of which was the buyer was a cash buyer so my brother (don’t remember the exact details but..) had the cash on hold in escrow while the origins of the money was confirmed which IIRC added 6 weeks onto the sales process. He’s straight and cautious by nature and didn’t want to hand the keys over until he knew the money was legitimate. I don’t think he had to do it by law but took the option. Partly because selling a diseased loved ones house can be very emotional and he had it in his head that if he didn’t air on the side of caution there was the possibility that if the money was ill gotten we’d end up losing both the house and money and everything our grandparents had worked for.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

When did you start conveyancing? September is pushing it anyway, without complications.
To be honest the sale was agreed in early March we’ve appointed solicitors just took a while to sell ours . The guy is an only child both parents died he lives in London but has had a few health complications so both our solicitor and there’s are in contact

Otis

Could be as much as 18 months,Daz.

We have looked at three houses now that were through probate.

Can be long winded. Find out how far through the process it is if at all possible. The estate agents don't always know and often just guess. That's in our experience anyway.

skybluejelly

my mate sold his mums house to a cash buyer and probate took 9 months, nearly fell through because of the wait but nothing he could do

Marty

One of the properties I bought went to probate, it's long and painful, took about 7 months from the initial offer to picking up the keys. When the missus annoys me, I take great delight in telling her how the previous owner died in the bedroom we sleep in. It keeps her up for hours every time.

Flying Fokker

I sold a house as I was an executor of someone’s estate. The sale of the property was just a part of the probate process in this instance. It was one transaction of many. I didn’t see this as holding up the sale, rather speeding up the whole probate process due to one less thing to clear up.

The other thing to consider, in my experience, relatives want to get hold of the money the moment the sold sign is put up! So in my view, the process is dependent on how fast the people managing probate actually push for the paperwork to be completed. If they have cleared the house it may be quicker of course…Again, it depends on how they approach this.

The health problem is the key to how fast it happens. As it seems there is just one beneficiary, a gentle reminder that people can be paid to do the clearing and cleaning of the property may help.

The house went on the market in April, sold after a week and the new owner moved in late July. It was a whirlwind. 7 Skips full of belongings.

I think you are best to set some deadlines so that they understand you need to move by ………….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread