Anyone Here Been To Norway? (1 Viewer)

ProfessorbyGrace

Hi all, just looking for a few opinions etc about a holiday in Norway, like ideal locations, hidden gems and so forth. Preferred method of travel (as I’m very tempted to get the ferry from Newcastle to Stavenger). And travel companies that provide good deals for families.

This will actually be my first overseas holiday in 25 years. 👍🏻

LastGarrison

Did a few days in Oslo for business so probably not the best person to advise here but Oslo is a fantastic city and I'd highly recommend a visit.

However, it certainly isn't cheap so depending on your budget you would need to factor that in.

Know a couple of people who have done a cruise around the Fjords and they say it is absolutely stunning.

skybluetony176

Hi all, just looking for a few opinions etc about a holiday in Norway, like ideal locations, hidden gems and so forth. Preferred method of travel (as I’m very tempted to get the ferry from Newcastle to Stavenger). And travel companies that provide good deals for families.

This will actually be my first overseas holiday in 25 years. 👍🏻
Not been but the costal roads up to the artic circle are motorbike heaven. Watched a few travelogues on motorcycle tours in Norway and it’s spectacular, loads of little ferry crossings, tunnels through mountains, spectacular bridges, causeways etc. There’s also a place called trolls pass which is beyond spectacular. It’s on my bucket list so I’m jealous.

JAM See

Did a few days in Oslo for business so probably not the best person to advise here but Oslo is a fantastic city and I'd highly recommend a visit.

However, it certainly isn't cheap so depending on your budget you would need to factor that in.

Know a couple of people who have done a cruise around the Fjords and they say it is absolutely stunning.
+1 for a cruise.

Really enjoyed it.

We did a 5 dayer with 4 stops, mostly in the south (Bergen was the biggest city we went to). Great way to see the fjords.

BodicoteSkyBlue

I’ve worked there a couple of times in Drammen. Enjoyed my time in Norway, however beer were ridiculously expensive. I got a vague memory of last orders in shops for alcohol being 8pm.

ProfessorbyGrace

Apparently you can be there in about 2 and a half hours on a catamaran. 🛥

OffenhamSkyBlue

I went there in the late 80s as part of a Nordic version of Inter-Rail, and it was fantastic. The railway only goes as far north as Narvik, so we hired a car and drove the rest of the way to the NordKapp (most northerly point of mainland Europe) - a true wonder of the natural world.
Amazing to drive.
In the south, get the train from Oslo to Bergen and take the Flam railway down through the mountain to Sognefjord.

Frank Sidebottom

Did a bit of a Scandinavian trip in August over a couple of weeks, Went to Copenhagen for a few days (did a day trip to Malmo from there) then flew to Trondheim for a wedding up near Straumen. Spent a night in Hell before flying down to Oslo.
As mentioned Oslo is a fantastic city, But food and drink is very expensive. Minimum of around £20 each for a very basic main meal. Beer anywhere from £8-£16 for 400/500ml glass. Only in Oslo for 3 nights which was enough to see/do most things. Went to the Munch museum (They have a sky bar with great views across the city) Up to Frogner Park with all the weird naked statues, Did a trip out to one of the islands on a ferry, You can hire floating sauna boats to drive around in. Because drinks are so expensive a lot of bars have shuffleboard tables in them, There was also a Chess bar and an arcade games bar.
Probably wouldn't rush back due to the cost when there but would like to go in the winter at some point when the ski jumps and ice skating rinks etc are open.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

As far as I'm aware the ferry doesn't run anymore, but it took an age anyway.

There's a new air route from Gatwick that goes to Oslo on Fly Norse - they operate Dreamliners as Gatwick is their stopover between New York and Oslo itself. If you wanted something a bit different and more comfortable that is, otherwise you can get flights from other locations (almost exclusively London airports though).

It's an amazing country and I would recommend a weekend in Oslo flanked by a trip on one of the Arctic trains to further up North. Bergen is good for a bit more life, whilst any of the region between there and Trondheim is worth a look.

Things to add: Save up a bit as others have said, it is really expensive. Also The Northern Lights would be a good thing to tick off if I were you.

OffenhamSkyBlue

There's a new air route from Gatwick that goes to Oslo on Fly Norse - they operate Dreamliners as Gatwick is their stopover between New York and Oslo itself. If you wanted something a bit different and more comfortable that is, otherwise you can get flights from other locations (almost exclusively London airports though).

It's an amazing country and I would recommend a weekend in Oslo flanked by a trip on one of the Arctic trains to further up North. Bergen is good for a bit more life, whilst any of the region between there and Trondheim is worth a look.

Things to add: Save up a bit as others have said, it is really expensive. Also The Northern Lights would be a good thing to tick off if I were you.
I had to toss up between the Northern Lights and the Midnight Sun at Nordkapp - the latter won!!!

ProfessorbyGrace

Someone else told me that the ferry doesn’t run anymore, what a shame!

The Northern Lights is best seen in Tromso isn’t it? Without Googling it.

Users who are viewing this thread