Anyone now thinking of jacking the whole thing in? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Just wondering.

We've had a few say they will never go back until Sisu have gone. We lost a fair few I should say as soon as we went to Northampton and stayed the whole season. We've lost loads due to the decline of the footballing side of things and now ....

Well, there's a fair few saying that the Wasps takeover is pretty much sentencing CCFC to long term mediocrity, with no hope of success.

Has anyone now come to the conclusion it's all rather pointless and is on the verge of packing it all in? Or is all the doom and gloom going around just temporary?

This is not a post to have a dig at anyone, but I know quite a few posters have been very vocal on here about this all but putting any hope of success for the club right out the window.

Think that if I felt that way I would indeed think 'what's the point' and would consider just turning into an armchair fan.

Surely as a fan there has to be the hope of better times ahead doesn't there? If you have no hope of any positive future at all then it's all rather pointless.

Anyone teetering on the edge at all?

Not trying to start a slanging match, I just genuinely wonder if we will lose any more fans directly as a result of the Wasps takeover (not result related).

Nick

Administrator
Unfortunately no :( I can't do as many games as I could now because of work / family etc but will still go as much as I can I think.

I don't go for politics I just go to watch football and even though that is dire at the minute it will hopefully get better.

olderskyblue

Its always been pointless, with the odd draw occasionally.... ;)

Seriously, I thought all last season that it would be tough to get me back into it, but ordered a ST as soon as they were back at the Ricoh.

Yet Neighbours of mine have found other interests and are sticking to them. (golf)

The jury is out long term on this one I think...

Otis

Unfortunately no :( I can't do as many games as I could now because of work / family etc but will still go as much as I can I think.

I don't go for politics I just go to watch football and even though that is dire at the minute it will hopefully get better.

But that's what I'm saying. Some have said that this puts the kiss of death on City's chance of any meaningful advancement.

If you hope it may get better then obviously you still have that hope. Guess it's a brain and heart thing.

ccfcway

no top 6 finish in my life time,

no top 6 finish realistic this year

nowt has changed, I've come too far to give up

Otis

Its always been pointless, with the odd draw occasionally.... ;)

Seriously, I thought all last season that it would be tough to get me back into it, but ordered a ST as soon as they were back at the Ricoh.

Yet Neighbours of mine have found other interests and are sticking to them. (golf)

The jury is out long term on this one I think...

Well, agree. Just basing my post on the ones who say this Wasps deal is terrible for Coventry City and we will never get anywhere as a result.

For me, I still have hope that this deal will be okay for CCFC. Can't see how it can be any worse than what we previously had.

And if the City did do really well, that would be even more reason for Wasps wanting us here.

I still have that hope and am not downhearted at all, other than in that of having Wasps move into our stadium.

Otis

no top 6 finish in my life time,

no top 6 finish realistic this year

nowt has changed, I've come too far to give up

But I am guessing you have always believe there was a chance of success. What if you believed this deal kills all hope of success?

SkyBlueSid

Regrettably, the answer is Yes. We got our season tickets immediately on the return to the Ricoh. In retrospect that was a bit of a rash decision and I wish we had watched a couple of games first. The Gillingham game was great, but it was the occasion rather than the football. Since then it has largely been rubbish.

I thought we had moved on but got caught up in the excitement of the return. The reality is rather different. I honestly cannot say whether the team has deteriorated since we left the Ricoh or if it really was this poor beforehand. Either way, the feeling of 'belonging' has gone after over a year away. We shall not be there next season. If I'm honest, I would be happy to get a refund on my season ticket right now.

ajsccfc

Nope, you'll have to pry it* from my cold dead hands. If the expectancy of entertainment or success was a deciding factor for me I'd have given up on football a long time ago.

*'It' is representative, I'm not actually holding anything.

shmmeee

Decided to wait on a ST, wanted one after the Gillingham game, to be honest the crap on and off the pitch is making me pick my games now. It's not fun any more and the club has no clarity of vision. I'm impressed with the stuff Waggott is doing (like the Active Ambassadors thing) but the stadium issue is tiresome now. If we're building a new one, let the fans in on the secret and let's have some hope and positivity.

I'm sure a couple of wins will turn it around.

Not bothered by the Wasps thing one way or another, but watching people backpedal and try and justify their position on here is quite entertaining.

Otis

Nope, you'll have to pry it* from my cold dead hands. If the expectancy of entertainment or success was a deciding factor for me I'd have given up on football a long time ago.

*'It' is representative, I'm not actually holding anything.

Don't think anyone in their right mind 'expects it' to be honest.

For me I always think at the start of the season that maybe this might be our year. Also then always believe that if we went up, the momentum might then take us straight up again to the Premier.

If I honestly believed we had no chance at all of any of this for the next god knows how many years, I think I would have packed it in.

I always believe brighter times could be ahead and I still believe that now.

Some posters seem to think the Wasps deal is the death knell. If you thought it was the death knell would you reconsider your position?

Otis

Decided to wait on a ST, wanted one after the Gillingham game, to be honest the crap on and off the pitch is making me pick my games now. It's not fun any more and the club has no clarity of vision. I'm impressed with the stuff Waggott is doing (like the Active Ambassadors thing) but the stadium issue is tiresome now. If we're building a new one, let the fans in on the secret and let's have some hope and positivity.

I'm sure a couple of wins will turn it around.

Not bothered by the Wasps thing one way or another, but watching people backpedal and try and justify their position on here is quite entertaining.

I still believe there can be a bright future for us, even with the Wasps deal.

TurkeyTrot

Nothing's changed for me, won't go until SISU have gone. Not gonna judge others, in fact done my little bit to possibly help in the return to the Ricoh as that's what the majority of City fans wanted but SISU crossed the line with me a long time ago.

ajsccfc

Don't think anyone in their right mind 'expects it' to be honest.

For me I always think at the start of the season that maybe this might be our year. Also then always believe that if we went up, the momentum might then take us straight up again to the Premier.

If I honestly believed we had no chance at all of any of this for the next god knows how many years, I think I would have packed it in.

I always believe brighter times could be ahead and I still believe that now.

Some posters seem to think the Wasps deal is the death knell. If you thought it was the death knell would you reconsider your position?

'Expect' may be too strong, but even if you replace that with 'hope against realism' it still applies for me. The only thing that would realistically stop me is if Sixfields became permanent or the club ceased to exist. I've heard so much talk over the years about how we're doomed and there's no hope that I'm numb to it. I've seen two relegations during my tenure and haven't been warded off yet, so there's not much football-wise I can see that would send me packing to be honest.

SkyBlueSid

I know what you mean. At least I have seen a bit of success in my time as a City fan. What depresses me is the thought that we are at a lower level than at any time in my 50 years as a fan with the worst team we have had in all that time. If I thought there was any hope of us even getting promoted to the Championship I would probably stick with it. Under this ownership the only way is down, so the prospect of no entertainment and no success will drive us away.

Ii is the year away that has done this though. Had we just plodded on at the Ricoh in the usual way, we'd have stuck with it. The spell was broken last year and we just can't get it back.

shy_tall_knight

Regrettably, the answer is Yes. We got our season tickets immediately on the return to the Ricoh. In retrospect that was a bit of a rash decision and I wish we had watched a couple of games first. The Gillingham game was great, but it was the occasion rather than the football. Since then it has largely been rubbish.

I thought we had moved on but got caught up in the excitement of the return. The reality is rather different. I honestly cannot say whether the team has deteriorated since we left the Ricoh or if it really was this poor beforehand. Either way, the feeling of 'belonging' has gone after over a year away. We shall not be there next season. If I'm honest, I would be happy to get a refund on my season ticket right now.
Possibly the way I feel, youngest son has an ST also but just doesn't want to go, no atmosphere as well as fairly poor football

italiahorse

Spot on response for me too.
Although I can judge the team. I went to most away games last season this season is the worst team I have ever seen in 47 years.

ajsccfc

Ii is the year away that has done this though. Had we just plodded on at the Ricoh in the usual way, we'd have stuck with it. The spell was broken last year and we just can't get it back.

Last season I listened to all the games as I would with aways, but found myself almost blissfully unaware of who we had coming up next at times. I'm struggling a little to get too enthused now, but that's probably just our form as that's not a new feeling.

I can't help but wonder how eager I'd have been to resume attendance if Sixfields went the full three years and then we returned, I could have seen myself drifting away into a casual 'how's the city done today?' kind of level quite easily by then.

Noggin

I mostly have, I had planned not to go back till sisu left but decided it was in the clubs and my best interests to give things a try and see if we could ride the wave of optimism with the return and turn the club around, went to the Gillingham game, had a wonderful time, despite the ticket situation hell. Planned to keep on going but went on holiday for 2 weeks to vegas, by the time I got back, it was clear nothing had changed, Fisher and even wagot were spouting the same old nonsense on the radio, they had decided to reopen the north stand which killed any hope I had of the ricoh having a good atmosphere this year and atmosphere is one of the main reasons I go to live sport, the fact the team are performing like I expected them to before the season started with the horrible under investment paying off predictable makes it all the easier not to go.

I'd mostly even stopped posting here though woke up in an argumentative and bored mood a couple of days ago and started posting again

The wasps situation really hasn't changed anything for me, it makes it much less likely the club will own the ricoh but I'd mostly given up on that under sisu we are just going to struggle along till they leave or we die and I don't feel this changes that, I think it might hurry a resolution along though which I'd be happy about either way honestly. It's a worry in the long term sure but we have to get there first.

I still don't believe for a second there is any intention to build a new stadium and the fact that I have so little respect for the people who are supposed to be representing the fans the scg makes me feel even less in tune with the club.

Something big does need to change for me to come back now I think but I'm still checking results online though they barely change my mood, I can't pretend I won't want to go to wembley though if we somehow got there in the JPT.

moleyskyblue

No dont consider myself a "ill go when they start winning" or a "wont go until sisu go" or " i will jump on the band wagon for a good cup run", but what i do consider myself is a coventry city fan who will stick by my team through the hard times like any supporter is supposed too.

ccfcway

But I am guessing you have always believe there was a chance of success. What if you believed this deal kills all hope of success?

this time last year we were in Northampton and had no chance of owning rioch.

This time this year we are in the Ricoh and have no chance of owning the ricoh.

On the field, its the usual crap, off the field, its the usual crap.

I hate during the season as realisation kicks in. In some ways, I prefer the pre season, excitement its at its highest and I don't get let down on a Saturday.

In the words of Del Amitri

"nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before"

fernandopartridge

this time last year we were in Northampton and had no chance of owning rioch.

This time this year we are in the Ricoh and have no chance of owning the ricoh.

On the field, its the usual crap, off the field, its the usual crap.

I hate during the season as realisation kicks in. In some ways, I prefer the pre season, excitement its at its highest and I don't get let down on a Saturday.

In the words of Del Amitri

"nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before"
You've just quoted Del Amitri. Akin to David Brent quoting Des ree.

spwaverley4916

to be honest - ,I have lost the will to go to the games, used to be a season ticket holder before the move to northampton, been to the home games since we came back but not going Saturday. I only live 25 mins stroll from the Ricoh but cannot be bothered with the long walk back after watching some of the dire performances. The move to sixfields gave me the opportunity to do other things with the family on match days and i really believe that i enjoy doing that more than watching my beloved sky blues.
the Wasp's thing has no bearing on it.
The passion and love seems to have gone after 48 years of going to watch live games and as i have learned through life when the passion and love has gone its time for a divorce - how ever painful!!!

SIR ERNIE

Rarely get the urge to make the journey although Gillingham was definitely worth the effort.

The club will always be my club no matter what though and whilst I long to see some kind of success, realistically it will NEVER happen while SISU are the owners. That is a certainty now.

They gave up any hope of giving their backers a return via on-field success several years ago. Now they have lost any chance of giving them a return from the freehold of the Ricoh. I believe we should be relieved about that. So now there's nothing left for them and CCFC will decay further as long as they stay.

For me the faint ray of hope lies in the possibility of Wasps making a big success of their Ricoh tenure, ultimately obtaining CCFC and creating a vibrant sporting Midlands hub in which both the rugby and football clubs thrive. That would be good.

skybluelee

In answer to Otis - no. Once a supporter, always a supporter.

Will travel to the same number of games per season regardless of if we were in the Prem or if we were in the Conf North. This will only alter if our wonderful owners relocate us to outside of Coventry again.

samccov1987

Combination of things have already killed my enthusiasm for the season. The move to sixfields broke the habit, I was over the moon to hear we were moving back and went to gillingham. The ticket office issues meant I missed the next couple of games, and now we're playing poorly and with the low attendances I'm not so keen to go up.

I'll be branded a judas for this but debating taking the kids to wasps/irish rather than the fleetwood game. The loves gone but get to the jpt final and I'll be sleeping outside for tickets.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Fuck um never again pile of overpriced shit.......

:thinking about:

Then again I have already got my ticket for Saturday so maybe next time.....:)

standupforcity

There's always hope...sorry, I couldn't live my life in the dark place of 'there's no hope'! There's a lot I don't like about what's happening, no different from most on here, but I'm a Coventry City fan and will remain one regardless. I didn't go to Sixfields because I wanted to see our club back in Coventry....I missed the football like hell. But now we're back, it would be crazy for me not to go wouldn't it? I mean what kind of sense does it make to want something, then when you're given it, you turn it down!!! There's a lot we have to live with at CCFC, but it's always been that way. I'll be there on Saturday believing we can beat Bristol City because that's the kind of club we are, and I'm excited about the drive from London with my son, we won't be thinking about the cost of petrol or the parking costs or the Wasps takeover....we'll be thinking about the game ahead and nothing else.

derbyskyblue

I suppose really i pretty much gave up 3 years ago, i would try to fit games in, but redundancy and then a long fight against the big c curtailed my regular visits to the ricoh, never went to northampton, a number of occasions i would set off to the ricoh only to be sick in the car, i would just turn round and go back home, i guess ive just lost the habit now and with all the doom and gloom surrounding ccfc.......the interest seems to have waned somewhat.

Samo

Just wondering.

We've had a few say they will never go back until Sisu have gone. We lost a fair few I should say as soon as we went to Northampton and stayed the whole season. We've lost loads due to the decline of the footballing side of things and now ....

Well, there's a fair few saying that the Wasps takeover is pretty much sentencing CCFC to long term mediocrity, with no hope of success.

Has anyone now come to the conclusion it's all rather pointless and is on the verge of packing it all in? Or is all the doom and gloom going around just temporary?

This is not a post to have a dig at anyone, but I know quite a few posters have been very vocal on here about this all but putting any hope of success for the club right out the window.

Think that if I felt that way I would indeed think 'what's the point' and would consider just turning into an armchair fan.

Surely as a fan there has to be the hope of better times ahead doesn't there? If you have no hope of any positive future at all then it's all rather pointless.

Anyone teetering on the edge at all?

Not trying to start a slanging match, I just genuinely wonder if we will lose any more fans directly as a result of the Wasps takeover (not result related).

I couldn't wait to get back to the Ricoh but I must admit the Wasps thing has been a body blow. Its hard to see any real hope for the future so yeah, whats the point? Struggling to find the motivation I must admit.

Users who are viewing this thread