Are we allowed to sign from the womens leagues... (2 Viewers)

TomS91

Is the power of a shot a physical or technical attribute? Not every technical attribute, but quite a lot are influenced by physical ability. For example, dribbling relies a lot upon agility and balance.
Why would a woman have less agility and balance than a man? Ever watched the gymnastics at the Olympics?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I watched the Germany v Austria game last night. There were moments of nice play.

but what stuck out was Austrias keeper constantly playing out of the back when Germany were pressing high… inevitable kicks it straight at a German striker for the second goal.

moments before that Germany straight through, put the ball on a plate for the striker to side foot wide of an empty net.

it’s the sort of football we’d have been outraged if Burge had done it at league two level, or Biamou missed at that level.

Yes the standard has improved but watching things like does show it up now and then.

Brighton Sky Blue

I watched the Germany v Austria game last night. There were moments of nice play.

but what stuck out was Austrias keeper constantly playing out of the back when Germany were pressing high… inevitable kicks it straight at a German striker for the second goal.

moments before that Germany straight through, put the ball on a plate for the striker to side foot wide of an empty net.

it’s the sort of football we’d have been outraged if Burge had done it at league two level, or Biamou missed at that level.

Yes the standard has improved but watching things like does show it up now and then.

Men’s teams also screw up playing from the back?

Brighton Sky Blue

They do - but that nearly happened all night. Generally once the high press is known it resorts to less riskier passes

its elite level football, the ability to adapt is massive.

like I said it was entertaining, but when you’re expecting the cock up, it takes away.
I take you back to our win against Brentford-they kept doing it even when it kept putting them under pressure

Otis

Yeah, but I think that was maybe not a good example. Last night was sub par to many of the other games in that respect I think.

The quality wasn't very high a lot of the time.

The keepers on the whole are definitely a bit dodgy in the womens game.

The thing that bugged me last night was the cynical fouls and shirt pulling etc. That needs to be eradicated from the entire professional game across the board. They really should be red card offences. Absolutely no attempt to play the ball. Just a stop the player at all costs approach .

I hate to see it .

Hertsccfc

Yeah, but I think that was maybe not a good example. Last night was sub par to many of the other games in that respect I think.

The quality wasn't very high a lot of the time.

The keepers on the whole are definitely a bit dodgy in the womens game.

The thing that bugged me last night was the cynical fouls and shirt pulling etc. That needs to be eradicated from the entire professional game across the board. They really should be red card offences. Absolutely no attempt to play the ball. Just a stop the player at all costs approach .

I hate to see it .
I've seen lots of men's teams continue to try to play from the back when clearly it isn't working. Arsenal at the start of last season springs to mind.

Some of the skills last night were really high. That shot from the Austrian that hit the bar would have been lauded if done by Ronaldo for example.

Last edited:

rob9872

If we're going to sign anyone I want it to be Caldentey from Spain. I made 4 or 5 Al Dente puns during the game (my favourite being that she'd over-cooked it after a misdirected pass). Anyhow, absolutely nothing from the household. I reckon I've got enough to keep me going for at least a season.

Brighton Sky Blue

If we're going to sign anyone I want it to be Caldentey from Spain. I made 4 or 5 Al Dente puns during the game (my favourite being that she'd over-cooked it after a misdirected pass). Anyhow, absolutely nothing from the household. I reckon I've got enough to keep me going for at least a season.

Unfortunately Brentford have just signed Mee, so I'm no longer available.

Block 19

Why would a woman have less agility and balance than a man? Ever watched the gymnastics at the Olympics?

Male athletes have greater agility because they have "significantly greater lower body strength, vertical braking force and impulse application, knee and spine flexion, and hip abduction, as well as faster decision time and post COD stride velocity during both agility conditions compared with females."

Now balance in general might not change... but if we're talking in football terms and remaining on your feet after dealing with opposing physical forces in terms of shoulder barges and general defensive duels then there is a significant difference due to the biomechanical make-up of men and women.

Neither of the statements should be in anyway controversial. They're based on biological facts.

skyblu3sk

She had a mare last night! Interesting a few people have picked up on keeper mistakes as a key part of what is holding the game back. Thought in contrast our keeper had a stormer last night great reactions to tip over the bar.

Otis

She had a mare last night! Interesting a few people have picked up on keeper mistakes as a key part of what is holding the game back. Thought in contrast our keeper had a stormer last night great reactions to tip over the bar.
She's a good keeper. Only thing I would say, in every game I have seen her play for England she has had very little to do.

She does look assured though.

The Swedish keeper did have a bit of a mare last night. I don't think you can at all blame her for the Russo goal though. That would have fooled many a keeper even in the men's game, because it was so out of the blue and unexpected. A fabulous bit of skill and invention.

I am absolutely loving this Euro championships and will definitely be keeping more of an eye on women's football from now on.

Sky Blue Dal

As good as they can be technically, let’s really not kid ourselves. The tempo is absolutely nowhere near the mens game. England women would struggle to get out of League Two - which may still be pretty generous.

I would go as far as Conference and that is being generous.

ovduk78

It is a different tempo. But then so too is women's tennis and women's cricket and women's athletics.

I like cricket and I quite like tennis and athletics. When I watch women play or perform in events, I just accept it's a different sport. I don't feel a need to compare.
I agree with this but if they want to keep them separate then they should stop comparing records between the men & women

Otis

I agree with this but if they want to keep them separate then they should stop comparing records between the men & women
Yeah, I agree and I don't like the "it's coming home" tag either. That was all about the pain of the England side and the lack of success since 1966 in the men's game. It doesn't make any sense to my mind in the women's equivalent.

Same as Ellen White's record shouldn't really be compared with Wayne Rooney's (not that, that bothers me, I just don't know why they do it )

Let it just stand on its own two legs.

Users who are viewing this thread