Arsenal and Liverpool in race to sign James Maddison (Independent) (2 Viewers)

Chipfat

Grendel,

FFS his job is to defend when the team does not have the ball, which is what every player does in the game including Messi!!. If we have the ball his job is to create and play with freedom in the final 3rd, but he still has responabilities as does everyone on the field. Secondly you can't resist popping at Bigi no matter topic you jump on him at every opportunity whicch proves my point the last reply i made. Leave the kid be and that goes for all the other talented kids that will be the best player you would of ever stepped foot on a pitch with if given the chance.

Grendel

Grendel,

FFS his job is to defend when the team does not have the ball, which is what every player does in the game including Messi!!. If we have the ball his job is to create and play with freedom in the final 3rd, but he still has responabilities as does everyone on the field. Secondly you can't resist popping at Bigi no matter topic you jump on him at every opportunity whicch proves my point the last reply i made. Leave the kid be and that goes for all the other talented kids that will be the best player you would of ever stepped foot on a pitch with if given the chance.

I'm not criticising Murphy and the abuse he has had in here is far worse than I've given Bigiamara - and Murphy I'd take a million times over the trundler from Newcastle.

Chipfat

If I may interject, despite his apparent ability he is still a young untested league 1 player and it could go either way. I hope he makes it

I completely agree Macca, who know's how players react on and off the field in the big lights, many good players have failed, many good player go on to become very good players at a higher level. Attributes allow you to reach higher, but it never gives you the right or the nailed on certainty you make it. Names can be mentioned, thousand of individuals can be used for and against an argument, it doesn't change the fact some have abilities to allow them to step up others dont, what they do with it is anyones guess.

Luck, opportunity or desire to succeed can be factors but who knows why certain players make it, bigger clubs buy potential, they never buy a young player as a complete package when they are stepping up.

Gazolba

... Wilson is already better than Theo Walcott. TCW has played 7 scored 5 whereas TW has played 11 scored 3. T....

You can't really compare the two because CW was the main goalscorer for Bournemouth whereas Arsenal have a couple of other main strikers (Giroud, Sanchez) and get many more goals from midfield. Walcott also has the pedigree of being an England international and has scored goals for England and in major European competitions, none of which CW has achieved.

Macca

I completely agree Macca, who know's how players react on and off the field in the big lights, many good players have failed, many good player go on to become very good players at a higher level. Attributes allow you to reach higher, but it never gives you the right or the nailed on certainty you make it. Names can be mentioned, thousand of individuals can be used for and against an argument, it doesn't change the fact some have abilities to allow them to step up others dont, what they do with it is anyones guess.

Luck, opportunity or desire to succeed can be factors but who knows why certain players make it, bigger clubs buy potential, they never buy a young player as a complete package when they are stepping up.

Nail on the head. He has potential and its a case of ensuring you get that potential rather than one of the other big boys. Thing is though numerous tactical signings like this are made only for the player to drift into obscurity

Specs WT-R75

The difference with Maddison is that we don't "need" to sell him for what he is worth. We might all agree that somewhere in the 3-5 range would be a fair price, but these PL sides have stupid money next year so lets just hold out for a premium... as long as TM and MV are allowed to add a substantial part to the budget.

SlowerThanPlatt

He is ridiculously talented to be honest. If you were a neutral coming to a game and you was told one of the players was on loan from a Premier League club you would probably guess Maddison.

When he was in the U18s, he scored a free kick in 5 consecutive games I think.

mechaishida

2 goals in 2 games, both from outside the area, class player.

And some people asked if he was 'all that'...

For me it was obvious, from day one. He just has 'it'.

Not only has his last two performances hiked his price up, but it's illustrated we probably do need him more than we thought.

mrtrench

He's much better than c wilson for me. We shudnt sell.for less than 7m!

He's better than Wilson was at his age. However Wilson has now realised his potential by proving he can score in the Premiership. Whilst I personally believe that the risk is low for an Arsenal etc. (even if he doesn't cut it at a very top club I'm sure he will make an above-average Prem. player), there is still a risk and this will keep the price down to a 'reasonable' level. £10m maybe, but probably closer to £5m with add-ons.

covcity4life

Either way hope we ensure he spends next 2 years at cov. We need to be championship minimum by time he's gone ir we wasted having him.

skybluetony176

Either way hope we ensure he spends next 2 years at cov. We need to be championship minimum by time he's gone ir we wasted having him.

Feel the same. If he goes in January we've lost the benefit on the field directly from him and I have my doubts about how much if any of any transfer fee will find it's way into boosting the playing budget.

mechaishida

Yep, any sale should have an 18 to 24 month mandatory loan-back clause in it, non-negotiable. If the big boys want him that badly, they can wait a while till he's matured into a world-class player.

oakey

I seem to be in a minority of one in that I would never sell a player no matter what the fee unless I knew I had a like for like replacement for less.

ccfclinney

Shouldn't be talk of him leaving in January . Top player in the making and he needs time on the pitch to prove it he will be in no rush to leave and as a long term contract so we're not under pressure to sell !! He's one of our own!!!

chiefdave

When you hear him talk he sounds like he's pretty intelligent for a footballer so hopefully he'll look at what happens to other players who sign the first big deal they get offered and are never heard of again.

Can see him staying here another 18 months at least to learn under TM, some of that might be with him back on loan to us. At his age he doesn't need to rush, better to get some experience and move up to the PL when he has a chance of actually playing.

Greggs

If we got Lameiras in alongside him he could have five of those type of chances per game IMO.

It might just be my thinking, but you do seem to have have a strange fascination with Lameiras. Hasn't done enough over the season to convince me, granted he has shown a few moments of magic, but not enough to be classed as a good player at this level.

pusbccfc

It might just be my thinking, but you do seem to have have a strange fascination with Lameiras. Hasn't done enough over the season to convince me, granted he has shown a few moments of magic, but not enough to be classed as a good player at this level.

Lamerias and Maddison were superb together at the start of the season, they are also best friends off the field which must help.

Lamerias is much better than Kent, for me.

Nick

Administrator
Lamerias and Maddison were superb together at the start of the season, they are also best friends off the field which must help.

Lamerias is much better than Kent, for me.
Agree with that, he has done more with less minutes.

That pass for Armstrong against millwall i think was great.

Hobo

I seem to be in a minority of one in that I would never sell a player no matter what the fee unless I knew I had a like for like replacement for less.

But if a players no longer want to play for you it is a waste of time. You have a textbook theory that doesn't work in the real world.

letsallsingtogether

Looks like he has had some coaching off Cole, that should push up the price :)

chiefdave

He has shown he had that in his locker before Joe Cole arrived. Where have you been?

He was singing Cole's praises in an interview on CWR before the game. Talking about how he constantly asked Cole questions and he is more than happy to work with him and advise him.

Hobo

He was singing Cole's praises in an interview on CWR before the game. Talking about how he constantly asked Cole questions and he is more than happy to work with him and advise him.
So he is advising Cole ;-)

Tonylinc

Have not read this whole thread (can't be bothered) but if Joe Cole has been advising James then he will almost certainly advised him to stay where he is for at least another season or so.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

He has shown he had that in his locker before Joe Cole arrived. Where have you been?

You're right he did,but he's been having time with Cole why do you think the guy is here? You've now got two players who have premier experience one who has played at the top and one who didn't make it why do you think both are here? Only my thoughts but perhaps they are here partly because the one player that we have got who could go all the way needs guidance rather than taking the first offer going. Wilson was different he was going to a club where he knew he would be in the first team Maddison would be going to a club where he probably wouldn't for a while

Hobo

You're right he did,but he's been having time with Cole why do you think the guy is here? You've now got two players who have premier experience one who has played at the top and one who didn't make it why do you think both are here? Only my thoughts but perhaps they are here partly because the one player that we have got who could go all the way needs guidance rather than taking the first offer going. Wilson was different he was going to a club where he knew he would be in the first team Maddison would be going to a club where he probably wouldn't for a while

You don't know he is going anywhere just yet. It depends on the offer, what the club wants and what the player wants. Every club above us will have an interest in Maddison. Just like they are watching Armstrong Murphy Kent RCC and probably Stokes.....with our players and their age we are probably the most watched team in League 1. The goal goes down to Maddison not Cole.

Grendel

Yes your are in a minority of one and a naive fool

Users who are viewing this thread