Arteta and his goalkeepers (1 Viewer)

skybluecam

Not sure I see this working without a major culture shift in football. Are there any examples of goalkeepers rotating and even being subbed that have been successful long term? Surely it would undermine the confidence that seems to be vital to keeping performance.

SBT

There’s no real reason why keepers should be exempt from squad rotation beyond the idea that it’s just always been that way. Managers are loath to chop and change keepers because they know they’ll just get hammered for it if a keeper makes a mistake (GK errors are usually more high-profile than outfield players). I don’t really see what advantage you get out of it, but if Arteta thinks it gives him an edge then fair play to him for trying.

skybluecam

There’s no real reason why keepers should be exempt from squad rotation beyond the idea that it’s just always been that way. Managers are loath to chop and change keepers because they know they’ll just get hammered for it if a keeper makes a mistake (GK errors are usually more high-profile than outfield players). I don’t really see what advantage you get out of it, but if Arteta thinks it gives him an edge then fair play to him for trying.
I think it’s quite hard to justify resting keepers for fatigue reasons like you would with outfield players. This also means you don’t really get the ambiguity over whether someone is being rested or has genuinely been dropped.

Outfield players can also be competing for 2 or 3 spots in the team rather than just one.

The only tactical reason I can think is something like starting a keeper who you think is better with his feet and substituting him for a better shot stopper when you have a lead or vice versa. But this comes with the potential effect of knocking one or both keepers confidence in their weaker area.

SBT

The only tactical reason I can think is something like starting a keeper who you think is better with his feet and substituting him for a better shot stopper when you have a lead or vice versa. But this comes with the potential effect of knocking one or both keepers confidence in their weaker area.
Well I think Arteta’s argument is that being rotated out of the squad shouldn’t be a blow to a keeper’s confidence any more than it would be to a midfielder or defender. If you have two good keepers with different skill sets, is it worth turning down the chance of gaining an edge because you’re worried about more abstract things like confidence/player egos etc? Arteta is betting on no.

Users who are viewing this thread