AT saying Cody McDonald will be the league's top goalscorer next season (1 Viewer)

Otis

Cody McDonald will be League One's top goalscorer, says Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn may be lining up a couple of strikers to boost Coventry City’s bid to bounce straight back to the Championship but he’s convinced he’s already got next season’s top scorer on his books.

The Sky Blues boss believes Cody McDonald will recapture the prolific form that saw him rattle in 25 goals on loan from Norwich at League Two Gillingham in 2010/11.

The 25-year-old Essex boy managed just four from 23 games in a less than ideal first season at the Ricoh Arena which he went into without a firm base fitness and was then disrupted by almost three months out with a knee injury. But Thorn is backing his only outfield summer signing from last term to bounce back with a vengeance, insisting: “I’m looking at people like Cody, who will have a pre-season and he will be top goal scorer in League One – I have no doubt about that, I think he’ll score the most goals.

“He’s had so many chances to score goals and scored some as well but he’s going to be so much better for having a pre-season under his belt.

“The players need a break, to get away from it for a while, and I have told all of them that when they come back they have to come back with a positive mentality and a winning one for getting out of League One. “Everything is set up for pre-season and we’ll take it from there.”

Very brave statement from the manager there. Just hope it's not on par with his "There will be one more twist before the season is out" comment he made with just 3 more games of the season left.

Hope he's bloody right on this one.

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
no pressure then Cody !

Think the lad will do well but depends on the service he gets and the team that goes out on the pitch.

Gaz

I think he will be in the top 3 for sure.

procdoc

I rate him highly, what we need is a good foil for Cody and two decent wingers putting crosses in for the front two, been saying that for about 10 years though!

rob9872

... will be sold at Christmas

Greggs

Ironically he was brought to replace the Championships best striker. Thorn signed him for the championship and not he has found his true level in league one! I agree tho, will score goals.

mark82

Ironically he was brought to replace the Championships best striker. Thorn signed him for the championship and not he has found his true level in league one! I agree tho, will score goals.

He started to show good form towards the end of the season.

Astute

Cody is the main reason I think we will be in the top 6. We have seen what he can do. He will get more time and space next season. If we can manage to bring in another striker to help out with goals we could have a season of fun.....mixed together with frustrations of losing to teams we used to see as beneath us.

I keep seeing posters saying it will be a hard season. It won't be easy, but look at the players we will be up against. One season down in Div3 will help our younger players. They already have a season under their belts.

ccfc2011

I think he will be in the top 2 for sure

SkyBlue_Bear83

Cody is the main reason I think we will be in the top 6. We have seen what he can do. He will get more time and space next season. If we can manage to bring in another striker to help out with goals we could have a season of fun.....mixed together with frustrations of losing to teams we used to see as beneath us.

I keep seeing posters saying it will be a hard season. It won't be easy, but look at the players we will be up against. One season down in Div3 will help our younger players. They already have a season under their belts.
What if he gets an injury, even if it is just 3 or 4 games injury it can set you back about 10 points of the sides around you at the top.
Our current squad does not have enough depth to compete over 46 games, it all depends on our summer transfers imo as I don't think the current players even with Keogh/Cranie will be strong enough.

He looked quite strong at the back end of the season even notching a few goals. He should definitely shine in League One. Would love Andy Thorn's prediction to be true because he Cody is banging in the goals theoretically we should be going up the league table.

covcity4life

baker got slaughtered vs soton but i felt he was probably our best performer

if he has the confidence he could deystroy teams in league one imo

Nick

Administrator
Will he get more than Jordan Rhodes if Hudds don't go up and he doesn't leave them?

mark82

Very picky, but he went off the boil somewhat towards the end of the year. 5 without scoring. Contributed to Huddersfield dropping off a bit. I work with a guy who is a Huddersfield fan and he reckons he had his head turned with the interest in January. Of course, being an arrogant Huddersfield fan, he cannot understand why he would want to go anywhere else when Huddersfield are so great.

Johnrambo

Would love him to go to Leeds. Huddersfield fans have a real complex about Leeds. My mate tried to convince me Huddersfield were bigger & better than Leeds.

Hehe, its like saying Aston Villa is just a small town in Coventry.

I do wonder why HUddersfieldfans hate Leeds so much, Leeds dont care about them in any way..

mark82

Hehe, its like saying Aston Villa is just a small town in Coventry.

I do wonder why HUddersfieldfans hate Leeds so much, Leeds dont care about them in any way..

It's the complex of the big city next door. As you say, just like Villa are to us. The difference is that Huddersfield think they are bigger than they actually are. We think we are smaller than we actually are :)

League one is brutal! Set pieces will play an important role and for that reason I wonder whether Keogh and Cranie together, even if they agreed to stay, would be the best answer. Every team in the league seems to have giant bone-crushing central defenders. Neither one of ours scored a goal this year. That stat has to change!

Astute

Get used to this sort of thing. We are a big Div 3 team. We will be able to get other players from Div3 to join us. We will be a big Div3 team Just remember though, we are a Div3 team. Unless we are flying come Janruary the Championship will be a good move for our players when the transfer window opens. It would be a good move for our players.

mark82

Get used to this sort of thing. We are a big Div 3 team. We will be able to get other players from Div3 to join us. We will be a big Div3 team Just remember though, we are a Div3 team. Unless we are flying come Janruary the Championship will be a good move for our players when the transfer window opens. It would be a good move for our players.

Yeah, I can see it now. Players getting big moves to Barnsley. :eek:

Astute

Oh dear, didn't know there was 24 clubs called barnsley in the Championship :eek:

The Reverend Skyblue

What else would Thorn say, "Platt is going to be the top scorer in League 1". Its pretty pointless remark, as its obvious why he said it ,as the buying of season tickets period is upon us.

I would rather Thorn say nothing until ,we start buying /selling or getting loans in. We know already Cody is the only one in the team capable of scoring more goals than 10 goals a season

Tell us when our future will be finally decided, up to then i would like him, and the rest of the PR team to shut up, and stop trying to "big up" our season in the hope of someone buying a season ticket.

ACTIONS NOT WORDS Thorny ,thats what we want to see

The Rev

TheUKGryphon

Andy you poor man, this season seems to have taken more of a toll on you than I thought. I'm sure there are pills you can take for your condition. The condition is called delusions of grandeur.

Cody has done fcuk all since he pulled on a sky blue kit. What is it? 3 goals?, 2? We should have had more from him this season.

Users who are viewing this thread