Attracting players (given embargo is lifted) (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

Who in their right mind would want to come (was going top say "here" but here might not be here!) to CCFC to play in the state we are in!??

How will Pressley attract these new players he is keeping his eye on? Previously, the Ricoh was a big pull.... but now.....????

I also heard that a number of experienced players (that weren't listed as being in the "bomb squad") are also unhappy and hinting at pastures new.... ( just a rumour...but a rumour that would make sense none the less)

Sad, sad times.....:facepalm:

Mucca Mad Boys

RICOH wasn't that if a pull, it's overstated, it may be a nice stadium, but it's only a 1/3 full for games!

I think good players will still want to come here, how'd you think the likes of Stevenage, Yeovil, Brentford etc. built teams to be able to compete in the playoffs/autos?

Noggin

You'd have to be nuts, desperate or being offered significantly more than you feel you are worth to come and play for us this season.

It's quite possible that the transfer window ends before we are able to sign players anyway unfortunately.

dongonzalos

RICOH wasn't that if a pull, it's overstated, it may be a nice stadium, but it's only a 1/3 full for games!

I think good players will still want to come here, how'd you think the likes of Stevenage, Yeovil, Brentford etc. built teams to be able to compete in the playoffs/autos?

Managers always seem to mention the Ricoh as a wow factor when they showed prospective players around even in the championship.

StevieM

As Don but said he beat me to it.
The Ricoh and the training facilities are the statement to a prospective new player that the club is a contender for bigger and better things.
If you were being shown around a tinpot shithole with the manager saying we are gonna do this and that and shit miracles it wouldn't inspire you would it?

Yorkshire SB

The fact we are Coventry City in the third division. If you're a third division standard player, you'd pick Coventry over most other clubs at that level regardless of the off the field matters.

Noggin

The fact we are Coventry City in the third division. If you're a third division standard player, you'd pick Coventry over most other clubs at that level regardless of the off the field matters.

Normally perhaps, not this year. What are the reasons they would normally pick Coventry? Great Stadium? Not This year, Decent chance of promotion? Not this year. Almost no chance of relegation? Not This year, Large support to play in front of? Not This year, we are going to have the crowds, the quality of stadium, the chance of success etc of a team that just scraped safety in league one last season and we will have the pulling power of that type of team.

Yorkshire SB

Normally perhaps, not this year. What are the reasons they would normally pick Coventry? Great Stadium? Not This year, Decent chance of promotion? Not this year. Almost no chance of relegation? Not This year, Large support to play in front of? Not This year, we are going to have the crowds, the quality of stadium, the chance of success etc of a team that just scraped safety in league one last season and we will have the pulling power of that type of team.

I still think the majority of footballers rule with their heart not their head, which still makes us an attractive proposition. If we can offer the same wages, then I think most players would still choose us, if only based on our history and fan base.

Mucca Mad Boys

As Don but said he beat me to it.
The Ricoh and the training facilities are the statement to a prospective new player that the club is a contender for bigger and better things.
If you were being shown around a tinpot shithole with the manager saying we are gonna do this and that and shit miracles it wouldn't inspire you would it?

You two are way overstating it. It's a minor factor in the bigger picture, if we're willing to pay him more wages than anyone else, he'll come even if we're playing at Copthorne!

I remember Portsmouth attracting some v good players (Glen Johnson, Lassana Diarra) when they were in the prem, and their stadium is a shithole. Also, why didn't James Collins and Syrers wait for CCFC, with their awesome stadium, and go to Swindon (massive shithole of a town and stadium) and Donny (basic ground and shithole town)?

Also, what would a player expect from a L1 club?

Why did Falcao go to Monaco (18k) and not Madrid, Chelsea or anyone else? Wages, not stadium.

For me, having a nice stadium is the 'cherry on top' at best.

dongonzalos

You two are way overstating it. It's a minor factor in the bigger picture, if we're willing to pay him more wages than anyone else, he'll come even if we're playing at Copthorne!

I remember Portsmouth attracting some v good players (Glen Johnson, Lassana Diarra) when they were in the prem, and their stadium is a shithole. Also, why didn't James Collins and Syrers wait for CCFC, with their awesome stadium, and go to Swindon (massive shithole of a town and stadium) and Donny (basic ground and shithole town)?

Why did Falcao go to Monaco (18k) and not Madrid, Chelsea or anyone else? Wages, not stadium.

King and his family, along with Finnigan, were guests of City manager Aidy Boothroyd at The Ricoh last Saturday, to watch City beat Derby County 2-1 and both the player and agent were very impressed with the arena and the Coventry.

The one big stumbling block preventing the signing of King is that City chairman Ray Ranson will not compromise on his wages policy, so King will not be getting the best possible financial package he could if he opted to join Coventry City. He could get a much more lucrative deal elsewhere.

Finnigan was as impressed with the City set up as King was and admitted he had a 'great feeling' during his visit to The Ricoh Arena.

He said to the CT:"The guy wants to play some football and be part of something special and Coventry ticks all those boxes. I was really, really impressed. We kept saying in the box 'look at this place, the stadium, the facilities, the crowd."

procdoc

Portsmouth 'attracted' those players by paying vastly over the odds wages, hence why they are where they are today

procdoc

I've heard we're offering potential new players a free weekend at Billing Aqua drone as part of the package to convince them to sign

Noggin

I think having a nice stadium is the cherry on top at best too, that doesn't change the fact you'd have to be nuts, desperate or being offered far more than you think you are worth to play for us next year (assuming not at the Ricoh), Since we already have 8 or so players we don't want because we paid them more than they are worth are we really going to be trying to attract decent people that way?

Falcao probably did go because of massive wages and because Monaco is an amazing place to live if you are rich and they are likely to be successful. We won't be paying massive wages, is a poor place to live, aren't going to be successful and are going to be ground sharing in northampton with a pitiful crowd. We (assuming we are out of embargo in time to sign anyone) are going to be choosing from the dregs who don't have any other option.

Users who are viewing this thread