Because some on here bum XG (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

I reckon Preston fans were saying the same when they were 2nd with one of the worst XGs in the league .. won 5 in 20 since

Also crazy how 7 of the top 9 in the XG table , are actually in the top 9 .

People like the guy in that video who slate xG just misunderstand what it is.

In of its self, it isn’t important. However, it’s a key performance indicator. It is rarely the case that a team will be low on defensive xG and high on attacking xG and be lower down the table.

At the start of the season when results weren’t going our way, we were getting ‘unlucky’ draws or losses. We were outperforming our position in the table which suggested our form would improve and it did.

Teams like PNE, however, were underperforming their early league form. As the season progresses, the performances will even out and in this case, we’ve overtook PNE.

xG and other metrics are just KPIs and they’re useful tools to measure (and predict) a teams performance.

False9

Strong correlation between enjoying base level toilet humour and not being able to understand the xg concept. 🤝

• Haha
Reactions: SBT

SBT

I'm with the guy in the video. There was a game a few weeks ago XG was 2.25 compared to 0.04 and the away team won 0-1

Means jack shit to me
Does the fact that the xG stats instantly give you a better sense of what kind of game it was and who really deserved to win not mean anything to you at all?

Yank

I only care about getting results out there, all stats nerds annoy me tbh.

Apologies if any on here are said nerds.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I cannot profess to understand it but if you have a high XG, then assume you are likely to score more goals but what if those XG chances fall to Liam Kelly all the time rather than O'Hare - does the XG get adjusted for shit players in good chance situations? Can I also put XG in non caps xg or is that a crime?

covcity4life

Not sure how anyone can think XG is bollocks at this point

Just because once in a while the results different doesn't mean overall it tells a accurate story mostly

skybluericoh

xGS and xGC are determined before a game, but you also have to factor the oppositions xGS and xGC. I think I read one of the equations in ironstones book of relatives some like if G=C, S=I and C=T ask Y and it = CITY

Noble

I cannot profess to understand it but if you have a high XG, then assume you are likely to score more goals but what if those XG chances fall to Liam Kelly all the time rather than O'Hare - does the XG get adjusted for shit players in good chance situations? Can I also put XG in non caps xg or is that a crime?
I think that’s PSxG (I only know this because someone mentioned Torp had good PSxG and had to look it up)

PVA

xG isn't perfect but it's clearly a very good indicator of performance.

Also very useful for determining a goalkeeper's actual performance levels compared to save percentage. or a playmakers creative ability compared to just assists, to name a few examples.

Fergusons_Beard

Every single one of you is a stats fanny.

Irony is that Saddlebrains positively sucks the bell end off a form table.

Y’all look at the league table, look at the score, look at the number of yellow cards, the number of goals for and against and the number of points.

Before and after every single game.

XG is no different. A lot of folks have made a great deal of money utilising it.

So don’t slag it off because you don’t understand or are too ignorant to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tomh111

Every single one of you is a stats fanny.

Irony is that Saddlebrains positively sucks the bell end off a form table.

Y’all look at the league table, look at the score, look at the number of yellow cards, the number of goals for and against and the number of points.

Before and after every single game.

XG is no different. A lot of folks have made a great deal of money utilising it.

So don’t slag it off because you don’t understand or are too ignorant to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eabbda02b93872a26a2acaaf13504fd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Look at Sunderland v hull . Hull won with an xg of 0.12 lol
I haven't got a clue how it works but if that means Hull should score about 1 in every 9 games on last nights evidence about right took a deflection to get that.(2 poor sides).If I watch games I form my own opinion .Mine last night was bar that lucky shot both would probably still be playing now and not scored

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm with the guy in the video. There was a game a few weeks ago XG was 2.25 compared to 0.04 and the away team won 0-1

Means jack shit to me

Where do you think that team would end up in the table if they averaged 2.25 goals a game and expected to concede 0.04?

They would probably be comfortably league leaders. Again, xG is a performance indicator in the longer term.

Likewise, if you’re a manager, even if you win 1-0 away with an xG of 0.04, you’d take it but you’d also have to explore ways to improve performance.

Users who are viewing this thread