Ben Wilson the king of shithouseary (1 Viewer)

hill83

It weren’t Max, the player I’m on about played for Cov in the early/mid 2000s in the championship

avun jephcott?

Wild guess but I’ve heard the exact same story elsewhere

Edit: just noticed you said French. Been a long couple of weeks

Last edited:

shmmeee

It weren’t Max, the player I’m on about played for Cov in the early/mid 2000s in the championship

I was only joking cos you said a French forward. I’m not at all surprised. But it’s only come about because refs fall for it. If I can spot a dive/overreaction from the stands they can from the pitch.

MalcSB

Not specific to the other night but he seems to have been booked pretty quickly in some games this season. As much as we all laugh about it he’s too obvious about it. Maybe the real tactic is to annoy the opposition rather than waste time, which is fine.
An ankle to the head can be quite painful, try it!

procdoc

I was only joking cos you said a French forward. I’m not at all surprised. But it’s only come about because refs fall for it. If I can spot a dive/overreaction from the stands they can from the pitch.
It was Patrick Suffo, he came through the Nantes academy so not French but he’s got a French passport. True story he became an agent when he retired from professional football. He had damaged his cruciate ligaments and my team was the first one he played for after the injury. He played about 12 games for us, scored in every game

eastwoodsdustman

He does it to break the game up and to get under the skin of opposing players and fans and it works. Its not like its a one off he's been doing it from day one. Every team does it and its part and percel of the game. Sam Allardyce brought up Man Utd and Man City doing it and Pep just said 'yep' as if its just normal.
It is being professional and whilst I don't like it being done to us, its about time other teams had it back a bit.
He is that master at it. QPR away was a prime example when he went to catch the ball that was going out from a wide shot and ducked out at the last minute. Sunderland at home just before half time was another.
Barring major action form the leagues, it will carry on so we just have to get used to it.

MalcSB

Firstly, Wilson's head was not touched by any part of Forss. The Boro player ran into his lower back.

And regarding the time added, remember back to this last World Cup. The refs were told to add on the correct amount of minutes used for time wasting and I'm pretty sure the instruction was passed down to the Leagues.

Ben has increased his time wasting or rolling over feigning injury as the season has progressed. Once or twice in a game is frustrating but is against the spirit of the game. When he does it six or seven times in a game, it crosses the unacceptable line in my eyes. And everyone can shout that other players do it but two wrongs don't make a right.

He has a negative reputation now in the Championship and the PL has VAR so he's going to have to be careful next season, wherever we land.
How can you not see some contact with his head?

pusbccfc

Every time this has happened to us this season the board goes up for 3/4 minutes of stoppage time. Boro were given 8 because of it.

Shoe is on our foot for a change.

Nick

Administrator
An ex cov forward who played briefly for my old Sunday league team used to tell the lads to go down as soon as they feel any contact, he played youth football in France and he said the coaches taught them to do it.
He said you might look big and strong staying on your feet but you won’t win free kicks in good areas by proving how strong you are!

Not sure it works in Sunday League.

Happy_Martian

How can you not see some contact with his head?

You're entitled to your opinion but please accept that others may differ. I've checked, paused and rechecked the video from Twitter and the only frame that shows potential contact is this

1684498650932.png

The one previous and the one after show no contact with Wilson's head. Unfortunately, Callum chose the wrong time to run across the camera view and blocks some of the incident :rolleyes:

When you injure a bone, you react by jerking away from the cause through your pain reflex. So what I was looking for is any sudden head movement after the contact. And Wilson's head never jerked away after. So he may have felt a faint touch or a waft of air but it certainly was not injurious and certainly not worthy of the rolling around performance he put on afterwards.

That is my personal opinion.

baldy

You're entitled to your opinion but please accept that others may differ. I've checked, paused and rechecked the video from Twitter and the only frame that shows potential contact is this

View attachment 29802

The one previous and the one after show no contact with Wilson's head. Unfortunately, Callum chose the wrong time to run across the camera view and blocks some of the incident :rolleyes:

When you injure a bone, you react by jerking away from the cause through your pain reflex. So what I was looking for is any sudden head movement after the contact. And Wilson's head never jerked away after. So he may have felt a faint touch or a waft of air but it certainly was not injurious and certainly not worthy of the rolling around performance he put on afterwards.

The first thing I did when I saw him roll around & shake was laugh out loud - it was a pathetic OTT reaction

rob9872

Love his antics. There was a better one though. Fadz was down injured and we had a clear goal kick. Ben waited for Fadz off the pitch, then a sub then a chat to defence, before retreating to get the ball and placed it where Fadz was as if he'd thought it was a free kick. The ref says goal kick so he collects the ball and ambles back before going through his routine to take it. No idea how much he wasted, some said it was all accounted for but injuries, subs and a goal celebration were a few minutes definitely and I'd say he managed to get away with a lot more than was added back on.

rob9872

Just remembered another one too where it sat on the roof of the net and he waited until post treatment to them punch it up in the air instead of being ready to take the kick. Hopefully more of the same next week.

bigfatronssba

I think on Wednesday more time was added on then wasted, so you cant fool these premier league referees / officials. There is a difference between slowing the game down and silly time wasting, it does not pay when you see 8 mins added on for a few subs and one injury break and Ben's antics

The ball went 10ft out of play and the officials didn't see it.

About as hard to fool as Barry Chuckle

hill83

View attachment 29802

Can you spoiler that image please. There could be kids on here. It’s absolutely horrific. I’d be pressing charges if I was Wilson. I’m literally in tears here.

Sky Blue Pete

Don’t agree I’m afraid, it’s cheating. If Akpom had hit the floor pretending to have been kicked in the head, this whole forum would’ve gone up in flames
He did with his knee having dived to try and get one of our players booked

Sick Boy

An ex cov forward who played briefly for my old Sunday league team used to tell the lads to go down as soon as they feel any contact, he played youth football in France and he said the coaches taught them to do it.
He said you might look big and strong staying on your feet but you won’t win free kicks in good areas by proving how strong you are!
Haha guessed who it was within 5 seconds.

Frostie

Personally i think the whole method of penalising misdemeanours in football is arse-about-face.

Mistime a tackle by a tenth of a second and you're looking at possibly a red card for dangerous play. But blatantly dive/cheat/pull someone back on a dangerous counter-attack, and its a yellow max and everybody calls it "great game management"
I don't think anyone has ever had their career ended by an opponent holding on to the ball for a few seconds longer than they should.

Travs

I don't think anyone has ever had their career ended by an opponent holding on to the ball for a few seconds longer than they should.

There has to be an acceptable level of risk otherwise it might as well be a non-contact sport.

Players going down pretending they have a career-ending injury is a bigger stain on the game than a slight mis-time of a tackle.

shmmeee

I think the right way if retrospective punishments. Don’t interrupt the flow if the ref doesn’t spot it, but come down afterwards with video evidence. Then players would be a lot more wary.

Frostie

There has to be an acceptable level of risk otherwise it might as well be a non-contact sport.

Players going down pretending they have a career-ending injury is a bigger stain on the game than a slight mis-time of a tackle.
Yeah, I was playing devil's advocate slightly but that's the reason for punishing dangerous or reckless challenges the way they do which I think is understandable.

Your point about punishing cheating though I'm fully onboard with. I would welcome more retrospective punishments.

Users who are viewing this thread