Ben Wilson (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

I’ve always had my doubts about him.

He was bought in to back up Marosi in league 1 and he seemed like a career backup.

Looked dodgy in his games through the years with spills.

Three clean sheets in a row though now and he hasn’t made me nervous at all.

Is he a late bloomer or am I confused AF?

Fergusons_Beard

Last few games he’s made crucial saves. But his distribution and punching crosses is extremely erratic.
Like Calamity McFadz always seems like there’s a couple of mistakes in him every game.
Luckily for him (& us) those mistakes haven’t led to a goal.
Like most on here I prefer Moore but Keeps the shirt for me until mistakes cost us a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

clint van damme

He was bought in to back up Marosi in league 1 and he seemed like a career backup.

He's been pretty decent since he came back in.
One moment last night when he came for a corner.
Moore had to be dropped though, he was costing us a goal a game.

CCFCSteve

He's been pretty decent since he came back in.
One moment last night when he came for a corner.
Moore had to be dropped though, he was costing us a goal a game.

Dealing with crosses is my biggest concern when it comes to Wilson, he just struggles to command his area (even six yard box) sometimes. Having said that he’s done really well since coming back in, shot stopping excellent and can’t complain at three clean sheets on the bounce

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I have never understood the Ben Wilson hate, I’ve always thought he was more than suitable as a back up. In the season where him and Marosi played about half the season each he vastly outperformed Marosi. Also last season in his last couple of games he seemed solid, this season made a really good impression. Keepers reach their peak later on in their careers, through more and more experience he could only just be starting to be performing at his “prime”

larry_david

Dare I say it, I'm not too worried about wilson at the moment. His kicking was poor like night, one of them he hoofed it 400 foot in the air and it only went about 80 yards forward, nearly put us in the shit.

As long as he keeps catching crosses and doesn't come flying out karate kicking someone, he can stay there. Moore is the better keeper but Moore is the reason we were on 1 point out of 9 instead of 9, in my opinion

rob9872

Tbh I top was more of a Moore fan, but he was rightly dropped for errors and Ben deserves to keep the shirt. One noticeable difference though is imo he has a better defence in front of him which is huge. Done well when called upon but far less exposed.

Sick Boy

I’d imagine Moore will be backup to a new number 1 next season and then let go the following season - I think Wilson is out of contract this summer?

Tommo1993

Dare I say it, I'm not too worried about wilson at the moment. His kicking was poor like night, one of them he hoofed it 400 foot in the air and it only went about 80 yards forward, nearly put us in the shit.

As long as he keeps catching crosses and doesn't come flying out karate kicking someone, he can stay there. Moore is the better keeper but Moore is the reason we were on 1 point out of 9 instead of 9, in my opinion

Tbf 80 yards forward on a football pitch isn’t bad at all!

pusbccfc

He had 45 crosses to deal with last night. He and the defence did well.

Skybluedownunder

Is this a wind up?

Reiss Charles-Cook got like 8 or 9 clean sheets in a row… should he be in the England squad?

Wilson is wank and if we want to progress and move forward he needs to leave the club when his contract expires this season. I will be super pissed if we extend his contract. To me this will be as stupid as extending Biamou, Baka and Kelly.

I don’t want him in our club, not even as no.2. His kicking last night was terrible!

There’s much better keepers out there and we also now have 3 keepers in our youth teams he is stunting the growth of. I’d rather put Moore & Wilson’s wage combined into getting one good keeper and letting one of our understudies occupy the bench and if the good keeper gets injured drag in an emergency loan or look at someone unattached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

He's done OK, nothing spectacularly good or bad which to be honest is an improvement over his past runs in the side. The unanswered question is what is up with Moore, he's been out of form for a long time now, since he was out with covid I think.

Not sure Wilson is a long term no 1 if Moore isn't going to be coming back in at some point but at the same time is a new GK really what we should prioritise in January with what will no doubt be limited or non-existent funds.

Bertola

He's done OK, nothing spectacularly good or bad which to be honest is an improvement over his past runs in the side. The unanswered question is what is up with Moore, he's been out of form for a long time now, since he was out with covid I think.

Not sure Wilson is a long term no 1 if Moore isn't going to be coming back in at some point but at the same time is a new GK really what we should prioritise in January with what will no doubt be limited or non-existent funds.

Moores form dipped around the time the rumours of him going to Villa as a back up came around. Concerned about his reputation as a great number 2. Is that how he sees himself? Does he not fancy it as a full-time first choice?

He had to be dropped, as much for his sake as the teams. His head was completely gone. Wilson has done ok (and had a bit of luck along the way) and seems a good lad in and around the camp. Hopefully that continues, but I agree we need to upgrade next season

fatso

Last few games he’s made crucial saves. But his distribution and punching crosses is extremely erratic.
Like Calamity McFadz always seems like there’s a couple of mistakes in him every game.
Luckily for him (& us) those mistakes haven’t led to a goal.
Like most on here I prefer Moore but Keeps the shirt for me until mistakes cost us a game.

You mean your happy to keep him until he costs us points, then you'll want him replaced by the guy who was dropped for costing us points?

Nick

Administrator
Yeah some of his kicking was shit but he claimed the ball well.

I assume told to waste time as he would sprint to try and play us quick but then slow right down and waste time.

jordan210

Yeah some of his kicking was shit but he claimed the ball well.

I assume told to waste time as he would sprint to try and play us quick but then slow right down and waste time.

Sometimes it looks like he is trying get a reaction of the opposition player near him.

Tomh111

Looks like an accident waiting to happen, but at the minute he is getting away with it.

Like last night with the one that almost looped over his head after it bounced in front of him.

I like that he comes for crosses and is less stuck to his line, he is also a great shot stopper, but his distribution is weak.

I would be looking at selling/releasing Moore in the summer (Not because I think he is any worse, but because I imagine his wage will be considerably higher than Wilson) and finding a long term solution. Wilson can stay on and fight with the new option.

larry_david

I think he's probably playing it safe atm which is great. As long as he does the basics right and keeps his head, then he's kind of going under the radar which is great. We know however, he's soon going to come flying out and clothesline someone. it's just a matter of 'when' and if he gets away with it.

larry_david

need to sort my yardage out. It didn't reach the half way line and we had all pushed up beyond that so we have to track back towards goal, with a bouncer, whilst they were charging at us!

Fergusons_Beard

You mean your happy to keep him until he costs us points, then you'll want him replaced by the guy who was dropped for costing us points?

You wanting Adi Viv in net then?

Because last time I checked we just had the two experienced keepers to choose from and generally that’s how getting picked for a team works.

If you make mistakes you lose your place.

kg82

Is this a wind up?

Reiss Charles-Cook got like 8 or 9 clean sheets in a row… should he be in the England squad?

Wilson is wank and if we want to progress and move forward he needs to leave the club when his contract expires this season. I will be super pissed if we extend his contract. To me this will be as stupid as extending Biamou, Baka and Kelly.

I don’t want him in our club, not even as no.2. His kicking last night was terrible!

There’s much better keepers out there and we also now have 3 keepers in our youth teams he is stunting the growth of. I’d rather put Moore & Wilson’s wage combined into getting one good keeper and letting one of our understudies occupy the bench and if the good keeper gets injured drag in an emergency loan or look at someone unattached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get on insta pal, you know your shit about keepers don’t you.

stupot07

He scares the shit out of me every time the ball gets passed back to him. His shot stopping has been really good though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AOM

SBAndy

He’s done alright. Still rather a better first choice keeper though. Having a scout around, the Barnsley keeper Brad Collins is out of contract at the end of the season and seems decent - anyone aware whether he’s good enough?

AOM

Anyway, he still has the brain fades now and again, he's just been getting away with it. It was the same when he had his previous extended spell in the team - looks fine, then does something mental.

He only gets the shirt when the first choice losses form, rather than him showing himself to be impossible to drop.

My thoughts too pretty much.
He's keeping the shirt on merit at the moment and fair play, but my heart is still in my mouth everytime the ball loops into the box

fatso

You wanting Adi Viv in net then?

Because last time I checked we just had the two experienced keepers to choose from and generally that’s how getting picked for a team works.

If you make mistakes you lose your place.

Your post makes no sense, rotating two substandard keepers is a guarantee of failure.
Our squad is inevitably going to undergo a major overhaul at the end of the season, I'm sure a new keeper will be on the agenda.

PVA

Does make me nervous on crosses/corners, and there were a couple of iffy ones last night.

But as yet hasn't cost us a goal whereas Moore was literally costing us a goal a game at the start of the season.

SBT

He's really not very good - what does he actually do well? He's supposed to be a good character to have in the dressing room at least.

I think his current spell in the team (and our resulting form) shows why it's rarely necessary for a team like us to spend big money on a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread