Best feeling ever? (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Niche. Was that when Adam Virgo scored a couple for them?

Just looked it up. Seems he got one goal. He played for us, and I have no recollection of any game he may have played in. Tbf I think it was around the time I wasn't going up much.

That is correct, I also remember it for being a game in which Adam Virgo scored. A rare occurrence indeed when in Coventry colours (1 maybe at Leeds?)

I think it may have been perhaps the second last game at Highfield Road, we finished the season really well and followed it up pretty well the next season.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

Disappointingly, I have vowed l will never watch Coventry at Wembley again. 4 times we've been down there and the only time I've seen them play, we've lost. I am the bad luck charm (probably why my predictions are so bad too ;) ).
Stand at ease...I can reveal now that on the last day in 85 if we beat Everton I made a pact that should we ever play Everton at Wembley in the Charity Shield they could win.

robbiekeane

Promotion play off final win from League 2. First time I had any real hope as a city fan

And/or the league on promotion decision. Albeit hard to properly celebrate with anyone but still brought a tear to my eye and kept thinking how proud my grandad would've been

Malaka

The semi final against Leeds. I sat down for the last few minutes on the terrace, I couldn’t bear to watch. I cried like a baby when we won, I just wanted to go to Wembley and celebrate a goal. Huckerby's goal against Man Utd, Cyrille's goal off the crossbar against Spurs

AOM

Checkatrade final too. Not even winning, just walking out from the concourse to see our half of the ground just all sky blue was pretty mental.
Wasn't born till a few years after 87 so my first experience of a Wembley final.

Grimmer's third goal the following year in the play off final a very close second

Bugsy

Reading these memories makes me even more excited for next season now to make even more special times...PUSB

Johhny Blue

The best feeling for me can't be narrowed down to a single game or occasion, but to the single event of when we score. The sheer elation when the ball hits the net, bodies bouncing around, people clapping and yelling and backslapping, the taunts launched at the opposition, the spilt over-priced beer, the shins getting clattered by the top of the seat in front, the players clenching their fists in jubilation as the crowd cheers them on, the opposition keeper solemnly booting the ball back to the halfway line. Those twenty second moments are the entire reason I love football.
But where do the goals come from?

LastGarrison

All the obvious ones have been mentioned but I have to say leaving HR after watching Keane’s debut was an amazing feeling.

Genuinely felt like we had signed the missing piece and that with him this team really could do something.

NortonSkyBlue

This is a tough one. I have been at most if not all big moments since 67. Despite the relegation battles and losing seasons it was always magical to see my heroes come out of the tunnel against the big teams of the day and give them a game.
For that reason it’s easy to remember the cup runs and good placed finishes but the best feeling for me was going in to Highfield Road with a milk crate via the turnstiles on swan lane in 67 and going down to the wall behind the goal and feeling the crowd grow behind me, the team in Sky Blue entering the pitch and the excitement I felt which I still feel to a degree to this day.
Through the years I felt a pang of jealousy when teams like Derby and Forest won the league and also hope that our day would come which it did in 87 and even now when asked who I support it is said that was the best final. We were kings for a day. That will do me if that was it.

oscillatewildly

No '87 cup run memories for me - Service to Queen & Country overseas put paid to that.
In no particular order: 1981 first leg of League Cup semi Final v West Ham.
The two victories at VP.
The Boxing day 1992 massacre of Villa at HR and the 5-1 shellacking of Liverpool which just preceded it.
WHL 1997 to stay up.
Wembley for the play off win.
Getting in and out of the old Den in the late '80's without being on the receiving end of a good shoeing.
This last one may seem a little underwhelming - Roots Hall Feb/March 2020. This was my first visit to the place. I always enjoy the occasion of 'ticking off' a new ground but the second half performance when we turned first half dominance into goals and three points, cemented, for me the belief we would definitely be heading back to the Championship as either champions or runners up.
I genuinely felt euphoric and let everybody know at the final whistle all the way back to the coach by repeatedly hollering: "WE'RE GONNA DO IT!!

Alex1987

In no particular order:
Last game at Highfield Road
3-2 win v United at HR
2-1 win v Villa at HR
Notts County away in Play off SF
Exeter win in Play off SF
Checkatrade Trophy win at Wembley

Travs

1-0 at Villa
3-2 vs Manchester United
Last ever game at Highfield Road
2-0 Mifsud at Old Trafford

In that order.

Was only 5 at the time of Cup Final, and as good as certain moments in the last few years have been, for me they don't quite compare to the above.

Hertsccfc

So many as well as so many terrible ones.

If I had to chose one it would be Michael Gynn's goal in the semi final at Hillsborough because of the tension and atmosphere of that match and the explosion of joy and noise when Gynn scored.

Other notable ones in no particular order:

The Quarter Final against Sheffield Wednesday
The FA Cup final of course
The infamous Bristol City match - I was only young but still have vivid memories of it
Norwich last match of the season to stay up when they hit the bar right at the end
QPR last match of the season to stay up with Kilcline's powerful free kick
Luton penultimate game of the season needing win to stay up and again dramatic goal from Kilcline right at the end
Two matches at Spurs to stay up including a great Dublin volley
The play off final (I wasn't that fussed about the Checkatrade)

Finally one I suspect few of you would include is Steve Hunt scoring the only goal in the League Cup at Cambridge the season we got to the semi final. I was at school near Cambridge then and could not have faced going in the next day if we had lost that one

JAM See

Loads of great memories. Here's some others.

Terry Gibson hat-trick against Liverpool
Robbie Keane's debut
Dion playing centre half against Wimbledon at Selhurst park with Ndlovu scoring a brace.

Last edited:

JAM See

Best feeling ever? Getting a ticket for the boat trip.

Worst feeling ever? The boat trip.

wantageskyblue

So many as well as so many terrible ones.

If I had to chose one it would be Michael Gynn's goal in the semi final at Hillsborough because of the tension and atmosphere of that match and the explosion of joy and noise when Gynn scored.

Other notable ones in no particular order:

The Quarter Final against Sheffield Wednesday
The FA Cup final of course
The infamous Bristol City match - I was only young but still have vivid memories of it
Norwich last match of the season to stay up when they hit the bar right at the end
QPR last match of the season to stay up with Kilcline's powerful free kick
Luton penultimate game of the season needing win to stay up and again dramatic goal from Kilcline right at the end
Two matches at Spurs to stay up including a great Dublin volley
The play off final (I wasn't that fussed about the Checkatrade)

Finally one I suspect few of you would include is Steve Hunt scoring the only goal in the League Cup at Cambridge the season we got to the semi final. I was at school near Cambridge then and could not have faced going in the next day if we had lost that one
I was at Cambridge that night too. Seemed to take ages to get there and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of us were there. Stood down the side and it was rammed. Don’t remember too much more about it to be honest other than we won what was a tight game (I think...)

Paul Anthony

Has to be the minute the final whistle went in the L2 play off final. My first visit to Wembley (wasn't too enamoured with the checkatrade given the season we'd had). I've no problem admitting that was the first time I've cried at a football match.

It’sabatch87

May 77 against Bristol City
1981 v West Ham home and Watford home
Wembley 87
Wimbledon 96
Spurs 97
Villa away 1-0 and 4-1
Crewe away 6-1
Wembley 2017 and 2018
Cheltenham away 2018
Exeter 2018
Newport 2018
And my last away game v Bristol Rovers last year a monumental piss up around Bristol with top lads!!!

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

I was at Cambridge that night too. Seemed to take ages to get there and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of us were there. Stood down the side and it was rammed. Don’t remember too much more about it to be honest other than we won what was a tight game (I think...)
I remember they missed a penalty by a player called Stephen Spriggs. This was such a tense match for me! The first match at Highfield Road we nearly lost when they hit the post in the last minute.

wantageskyblue

I remember they missed a penalty by a player called Stephen Spriggs. This was such a tense match for me! The first match at Highfield Road we nearly lost when they hit the post in the last minute.
Yes I remember the 1st game more clearly and we were lucky - I think they believed they were going to beat us in the replay.

rondog1973

Loads of great memories. Here's some others.

Terry Gibson hat-trick against Liverpool
Robbie Keane's debut
Dion playing centre half against Wimbledon at Selhurst park with Ndlovu scoring a brace.
Gutted I missed that Wimbledon game. Was at Maine Rd for an Oasis gig. Afterwards the 4 of us went to a nearby boozer and watched MOTD, belting out the Sky Blue Song as we saw Ndlovu's goals. The locals weren't impressed, Man City went down that season!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Taking my dad to the checkatrade he’s 81 next week and health and memory is getting worse but he was in great form that day

I had a ticket for the play off final but it would of meant dad would of had to watch it on his own . So I stayed with him he fancied a bet so we put a few quid on a 3-1 . Couple of beers watching city win at Wembley again , to be fair that one brought a tear to my eye in fact it’s got me a bit now

Users who are viewing this thread