Best Player/Performance You've Seen ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I remember being at Highfield Road watching us playing Newcastle United in a league game.I was sat in the stands with my dad and we watched a young player ripping the City midfield apart,and he was all over the pitch and just ran the show on his own. At the end my dad said" that stocky lad is going to be a great player." It was a young Paul Gascoigne. I've seen Best,Bobby Charlton,Greaves,and many top players,but that performance was the best I've seen by an opposition footballer. Any other suggestions ?

superskyblue

I think it might have been Dowie's first game in charge potentially. We won but Bale's performance stands out for me too.

Also Ryan Giggs tore us apart in the late 90's early 2000's. That said, it was Barry Quinn at full back!

bringbackrattles

I think it might have been Dowie's first game in charge potentially. We won but Bale's performance stands out for me too.

Also Ryan Giggs tore us apart in the late 90's early 2000's. That said, it was Barry Quinn at full back!
I'm sure Kevin Kyle scored in that game !

CJ_covblaze

For live performances Zlatan against St Ettiene a couple of years ago takes some beating. PSG won 5-0 and he got a hatrick. Another was Wilshere in Slovenia last year. He was brilliant and unplayable. Scored two screamers from virtually the same place. Best though was Chippo when we beat the Villa at Highfield Road. Every time he got the ball he created a chance.

bringbackrattles

Another performance by an opposing player I recall at Highfield Road was by Francis Lee when he was a winger for Bolton Wanderers. He was on fire and scored a stunning hat trick against us that day,and it wasn't not long after that he went to Man City. I was a young kid on the Spion Kop that afternoon and I was a winger for my school team,and it was watching Lee turn on the style that made me want to stay out on the wing,while most youngsters wanted to be a striker !

Monners

Dalglish always had time on the ball and read the game so well.

For us - McAllisters last game at HR against Wednesday takes some beating - maybe Huckerby's hatrick at home to Forest, he was unplayable

Gazolba

The players that stand out in my mind were George Best and Jimmy Greaves, but not against us. During the Jimmy Hill years when we were a high-flying club, we played a friendly against a team from Brazil. I don't remember the name of the team, but they were so much better than us it was like they were playing a different game. Their skills were amazing and their passing so quick and accurate that the CCFC players heads must have been spinning. Don't remember the score, but I'm sure it was a convincing defeat.

Also, I was at the match where Leicester beat us 1-8 at home. They tore us to shreds. For us, George Hudson scored past Gordon Banks. Teams and scorers here:
http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-leicester-city-01-december-1964-28555/

Hadji10

Messi v Real Betis. Scored a hat trick and set two up, generally walked around the pitch playing in second gear.

Pipehitterz

silly as his sounds but ian rush and tommy hutchinson were ridiculous at mickey gynns testimonial

they played like gods, personnally think rush is up there with the greatest

bringbackrattles

The players that stand out in my mind were George Best and Jimmy Greaves, but not against us. During the Jimmy Hill years when we were a high-flying club, we played a friendly against a team from Brazil. I don't remember the name of the team, but they were so much better than us it was like they were playing a different game. Their skills were amazing and their passing so quick and accurate that the CCFC players heads must have been spinning. Don't remember the score, but I'm sure it was a convincing defeat.

Also, I was at the match where Leicester beat us 1-8 at home. They tore us to shreds. For us, George Hudson scored past Gordon Banks. Teams and scorers here:
http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-leicester-city-01-december-1964-28555/
I too was at that Leicester game it was League Cup. Was that Santos from Brazil ?

LastGarrison

Van Bommel for the Dutch when they beat England 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

He absolutely bossed the game and no-one got near him. It was almost embarrassing he was that much better than anyone else on the pitch that day.

Bumberclart

Thierry Henry for Arsenal in a 4-0 demolition of Leeds at Elland road. (free corporate tickets)
He was just unplayable that day. Even the Leeds fans were applauding him by the end.

trevelfarandwide

Best Sky Blue Performance I've seen, hmmm...well, it's either Peter Ndlovu's hat-trick at Anfield in 1995, or the sheer destruction Darren Huckerby caused the Leeds defense at Elland Rd in the 97/98 season. Both stand out to me as superb displays of aggressive, direct and unplayable forward attacking from two players who, on their day, were devastating.

Gazolba

I too was at that Leicester game it was League Cup. Was that Santos from Brazil ?
I think it might have been Santos or America. I did some digging and on the Santos Wikipedia site, it indicates a score of 2-2, but that was a game played on 13 June 1972 when Pele played (and scored). The game I remember was a different match because it was in the mid 60's. I'm sure my father had the match program, but my mother sold them all some time after he died.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Rio Ferdinand played in midfield for West Ham against around 97/98
Great performance won every tackle, never misplaced a pass

Users who are viewing this thread