Betfair (bots) (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Does anybody do much laying / betting with Betfair? Just saw a couple of bots that look interesting.

Didn't know if anybody had dabbled?

dutchman

I dabbled in it once. Found myself inadvertently laying odds of 1000/1 on an outsider. Fortunately for me it didn't win. Got out before I lost too much money.

Call me cynical but I suspect all those 'experts' who claim to have made money laying odds at Betfair are being paid by the company to promote its business.

R

RB1992

I've been laying 0-0s for a while now, more for fun than anything. I'm probably a few hundred quid up over a few months, so nothing major.

If anyone on here is yet to sign up to most online bookmakers; look into matched betting. Guaranteed profit and fairly easy to do. Also, use Smarkets as your lay platform, only 2% commission (to Betfair's 5%).

Nick

Administrator
Matched betting looks like hard work.

Had a bot running on simulation overnight with a few different things and I would have been £44 up by this morning.

Although it did throw some bigger bets on than I would like with real money!

vow

Whats a Bot then, Nick?

R

RB1992

I started matched betting a couple of weeks ago using the (very) few online bookmakers I'm not already signed up to and made a few hundred quid. It probably takes 1-2 hours out of your day to do. Perfect if, like me, you tend to do as little as possible at work. Quite interesting trying to find the closest back/lay odds as well, so doesn't really feel like a chore.

Nick

Administrator
It looks like it basically throws bets on for you when certain things happen. Like if a team is winning at half time you can make it auto bet that it will be a draw, for example.

I don't fully understand it myself really.

R

RB1992

I've never really looked into it, but I'd guess it's an automated software, where say you deposit £500.00 into your Betfair account and it will automatically back/lay certain events at prices to guarantee you a profit. For example, backing Stoke pre-match yesterday at odds of 2.2, laying Stoke when they scored for 1.5 and guaranteeing yourself a few quid profit. Obviously there's a lot of risk to it.

Nick

Administrator
I've never really looked into it, but I'd guess it's an automated software, where say you deposit £500.00 into your Betfair account and it will automatically back/lay certain events at prices to guarantee you a profit. For example, backing Stoke pre-match yesterday at odds of 2.2, laying Stoke when they scored for 1.5 and guaranteeing yourself a few quid profit. Obviously there's a lot of risk to it.

Yeah, it looks like it has one built in to lay draws so I have that running.

Don't actually understand what it is doing.

Deposit £500? Just put a tenner in and will be doing 50p bets until it goes!

vow

Ok, thanks for trying to explain, but I think I'll stick to the bots on The "not so obvious" hot babes thread!

wingy

Yeah, it looks like it has one built in to lay draws so I have that running.

Don't actually understand what it is doing.

Deposit £500? Just put a tenner in and will be doing 50p bets until it goes!
Pessimist!!

Nick

Administrator
Had it running today, got brave and put it on real money.

I am up 28p after about 200 bets.

Saving up for a chomp from the shop :)

R

RB1992

Had it running today, got brave and put it on real money.

I am up 28p after about 200 bets.

Saving up for a chomp from the shop :)

Can you see what sort of sports/markets the bot was betting on and whether it was backing/laying?

Nick

Administrator
Can you see what sort of sports/markets the bot was betting on and whether it was backing/laying?

Yeah, it was doing mostly horses and it is backing and laying and then trying to get a small difference by the looks of it so you dont lose too much, but then you dont win too much either.

So it backs / lays and then the odds difference is where the loss or profit is.

That was one of the built in strategies, there are a few more but they are preset to like £150 so I have steered clear.

mrtrench

I used to do this for about 3 years - laying and betting and picking up the spread. I focused on League Winner in the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2 because I discovered that on Saturday afternoons the market became less liquid and every club who won shortened significantly and then later lengthened again. I started with £25 and built it up to over £2,000. HOWEVER, my wife got pissed off with me checking my position frequently and I cashed out. Money can be made there.

mrtrench

Yeah, it was doing mostly horses and it is backing and laying and then trying to get a small difference by the looks of it so you dont lose too much, but then you dont win too much either.

So it backs / lays and then the odds difference is where the loss or profit is.

That was one of the built in strategies, there are a few more but they are preset to like £150 so I have steered clear.

Wouldn't do the horses - it's over too quickly and you don't get time to hedge a position.

Nick

Administrator
I used to do this for about 3 years - laying and betting and picking up the spread. I focused on League Winner in the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2 because I discovered that on Saturday afternoons the market became less liquid and every club who won shortened significantly and then later lengthened again. I started with £25 and built it up to over £2,000. HOWEVER, my wife got pissed off with me checking my position frequently and I cashed out. Money can be made there.
Did you do it manually or with a bot?

duffer

I've spent quite a bit of time trading on betfair, mostly on the immediate pre-race horse markets using a tool called Bet Angel. That's got some built in tools for creating bots using your own strategies and tied into Excel, but I've never entirely trusted them because it can expose you to a big risk if you get it wrong (esp. on the lay side). It also does all of the calculations and placements for hedging, which is key when you're trading into a fast moving market (literally jumping around by the second). Mr Trench clearly had a calmer, more ordered method. :)

I've never made any great amount of money out of it, but then I've never lost too much either. If you haven't got a genuine exit strategy though, especially for when things go against you (and they will), then in truth you're not really trading, you're gambling - and that can be a slippery slope! In truth, I'd say that even trading is gambling, it's just a slightly more considered form. ;)

Bet Angel does come with a practice mode, using the real markets fwiw. If you think you've got a good system you could use it to test. I should say that I don't work for them, and there are other tools out there, 'Geeks Toy' is another one...

Nick

Administrator
I have only put a tenner in, biggest bet is £4 :)

It makes pennies, so would be ok on a big scale.

Nick

Administrator
I've spent quite a bit of time trading on betfair, mostly on the immediate pre-race horse markets using a tool called Bet Angel. That's got some built in tools for creating bots using your own strategies and tied into Excel, but I've never entirely trusted them because it can expose you to a big risk if you get it wrong (esp. on the lay side). It also does all of the calculations and placements for hedging, which is key when you're trading into a fast moving market (literally jumping around by the second). Mr Trench clearly had a calmer, more ordered method. :)

I've never made any great amount of money out of it, but then I've never lost too much either. If you haven't got a genuine exit strategy though, especially for when things go against you (and they will), then in truth you're not really trading, you're gambling - and that can be a slippery slope! In truth, I'd say that even trading is gambling, it's just a slightly more considered form. ;)

Bet Angel does come with a practice mode, using the real markets fwiw. If you think you've got a good system you could use it to test. I should say that I don't work for them, and there are other tools out there, 'Geeks Toy' is another one...

That's the same sort of thing.

The strategy at the minute looks a bit complex so I probably couldn't say what it is doing. I only tend to lose money it seems if it can't Match a bet in time before it cancels. It looks like it is putting on a lay and a back, although it is only really making a few p profit / loss each time but with the odd £2 here or there which it makes back.

I do see it as gambling still, and won't be putting my house on it any time soon. I had it in simulation mode but went crazy with the 50p bets and will probably sit with it for a week and not actually make anything at all but not lose anything.

Nick

Administrator
I also got it to follow a Tipster who had a 70% win ratio on greyhounds.

He has lost me a quid so far, not too happy with him.

Nick

Administrator
I haven't paid, just on the freebie.

Even if it makes £100 a month then £30 is worthwhile! I put a tenner in and down to £3 but granted I dont know much about betfair in the first place!

Nick

Administrator
It is a bit like watching 6p drop out of a 2p machine even though you have put 12p in already. It is like winning when it pops up green saying 9p won

I could never imagine staking hundreds, I'd probably cry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread