Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
But surely you can see the difference in his position on the pitch? He hasn't started 20 league games, chosen to play that deep and have balls hammered head height in his general direction before going 'you know what, I quite like this sub lark, I'll play a bit higher and score a few.' A striker adjusting to L2, played in a role he's never done before who let an initial lack of goals get to him and missed a few easy chances. He's over that now and is showing his improvement when played as an actual striker with freedom instead of a restricted defensive target man. It's really as simple as that.

You say that, but for his second goal he was deep, and he did have a ball ‘hammered head height’, which he nodded to McNulty who touched it back to him for a screamer... So the common denominator appears to be him coming off the bench at this point.

I’ve always been someone who’s seen Biamou’s role as more than just getting goals. Our go-to man for goals is McNulty and therefore, JCH and Biamou are pieces that supplement him and the team. I think he does the role of an aggressive striker quite well. As I’ve said in the past, his only problem was goalscoring, and that could be down to the step up to professional football in L2.

He’s made 34 league appearances, and before this Easter, he was on 1 goal. He’s now banged in 3 times that over one long weekend. What has changed apart from coming off the bench? There are some players who relish coming off the bench, which isn’t the same thing as saying that’s their preference.

I’m happy for him, it’s about time he started making his own luck in front of goal!

Nick

Administrator
Feb 25, 2008
Coventry
You say that, but for his second goal he was deep, and he did have a ball ‘hammered head height’, which he nodded to McNulty who touched it back to him for a screamer... So the common denominator appears to be him coming off the bench at this point.

I’ve always been someone who’s seen Biamou’s role as more than just getting goals. Our go-to man for goals is McNulty and therefore, JCH and Biamou are pieces that supplement him and the team. I think he does the role of an aggressive striker quite well. As I’ve said in the past, his only problem was goalscoring, and that could be down to the step up to professional football in L2.

He’s made 34 league appearances, and before this Easter, he was on 1 goal. He’s now banged in 3 times that over one long weekend. What has changed apart from coming off the bench? There are some players who relish coming off the bench, which isn’t the same thing as saying that’s their preference.

I’m happy for him, it’s about time he started making his own luck in front of goal!

Chances being created for him is one thing that has changed.

Reid and McNulty both set him up nicely, the volley he sort of did himself.

Reactions: Otis

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
Chances being created for him is one thing that has changed.

Reid and McNulty both set him up nicely, the volley he sort of did himself.

Yes, and he's come on as a sub when we're chasing a game where he will inevitably get more chances...

I think he should start next week, he's earned it, but I just think that he's probably best used as an impact sub. That's how I envisioned his role when we first signed him - and on recent evidence, he's relished that role.

Johhny Blue

Feb 1, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’m just calling it as I see it. In the last 2 games, he’s scored more goals than in his previous 32 league games. He looks like a completely new player, he’s looked clinical and confident in front of goal. Hence, that absolute screamer he scored.

I am only speculating, and I’m certainly not projecting my opinion as fact. However, there are players who perform better coming on as a substitute as opposed to starting. Just a couple of examples being; Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Javier Hernandez (at Man U) and Edin Džeko.
And for us old dogs, the original "Super-Sub" Steve Heighway

Londonccfcfan

Oct 12, 2015
Biamou any day over over JCH for me.

His last three goals have been pure quality finishes. This lad needs deserves a 2nd chance.

All part of learning and development. In time this lad will be a top top player.

Biamou done more in last 90 mins as sub than JCH has since he’s taken his place. The rest has certainly done him good.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Why is it our fans are either for or against our players, for instance: Burge, McNulty, Biamou, Jones, Willis, Doyle, Kelly and Haynes. All seem to attract derision from certain fans at various stages in the season.

What makes it worse is we have the Baker fans who have granted him hero status when he is not even fit enough to play, some built a promotion campaign around him? It is ironic how some of our fans see the player who is not playing as the in form or the better player.

better days

May 8, 2016
Why is it our fans are either for or against our players, for instance: Burge, McNulty, Biamou, Jones, Willis, Doyle, Kelly and Haynes. All seem to attract derision from certain fans at various stages in the season.

What makes it worse is we have the Baker fans who have granted him hero status when he is not even fit enough to play, some built a promotion campaign around him? It is ironic how some of our fans see the player who is not playing as the in form or the better player.
Very good point
I hadn't realised until recently that Biamou was only training one day a week at Sutton
When he first came in he was like a fish up a tree and did zero work when we didn't have the ball
But as his fitness levels have improved and he's learned more about the full time game we can see why Robins signed him

Reactions: Captain Dart

87mint

Aug 8, 2013
Yep. I wouldn't drop JCH though. Drop Vincenti and play Biamou wide.
His main asset is that he wins everything in the air. He's wasted out on the wing.

JCH has gone missing for long periods in recent games. I think he would benefit from a rest.

Esoterica

Aug 21, 2013
Czech Republic
Very good point
I hadn't realised until recently that Biamou was only training one day a week at Sutton
When he first came in he was like a fish up a tree and did zero work when we didn't have the ball
But as his fitness levels have improved and he's learned more about the full time game we can see why Robins signed him
Took several years out of his career in France to get himself a degree too before moving to England so even though he's 27, in football terms he's young and learning rapidly.

steve82

Feb 29, 2016
Max has come a long way from that full start against Blackburn in August where MR exposed him cleverly to largely championship quality players.

Hopefully not just a purple patch for him but a sign of things to come as he’s developed a lot over the season now adding goals to his game that his performances have deserved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gibbo

May 26, 2011
Two good finishes out of three - one was a tap in - is very good going at this level. Notice the similarity in two of his goals this season - Yeovil and Swindon (I think), and not just the quality of the strike

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
His main asset is that he wins everything in the air. He's wasted out on the wing.

JCH has gone missing for long periods in recent games. I think he would benefit from a rest.
He has looked a bit tired, but he is the better player and this is such an important game for us.

It's not like we have a midweek game. We played Monday afternoon and now don't play until Saturday.

Not so sure on Biamou winning everything in the air, but even if he did, we quite often hit high balls out to the wing to try and land on Vincenti's head anyway.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Two good finishes out of three - one was a tap in - is very good going at this level. Notice the similarity in two of his goals this season - Yeovil and Swindon (I think), and not just the quality of the strike

Both of the 'tap ins' were good first time finishes, he looked confident considering he hasn't been in the team recently.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Both of the 'tap ins' were good first time finishes, he looked confident considering he hasn't been in the team recently.
Yeah, would definitely not call them tap ins. Certainly a lot more accomplished than that.

Gibbo

May 26, 2011
More to the point in Yeovil 2 and Swindon, wasn't it the case that he won the knock down, landed running and came on to the layback at speed in both cases?

Gibbo

May 26, 2011
Although I thought Newport was a good goal given the conditions, speed he was running and pressure he was under, had he missed it would probably have been described as a sitter for a pro footballer. Can something be a good goal and a sitter at the same time?

Captain Dart

Oct 26, 2013

Captain Dart

Oct 26, 2013
I like the idea of Biamou & JCH competing for one position, competition is good. They can both contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread