Big match (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

revisited on ITV4. The 1980’s and fences with spikes on the top to keep fans in!! Pitches looking more like beaches. How times have changed for the better.
Was it Hillsborough disaster that finally did away with fences?
Just seen Div 2 Chelsea v Notts County, Kilcline in defence for County and Stamford Bridge has open terracing! I don’t remember that at the time,

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

revisited on ITV4. The 1980’s and fences with spikes on the top to keep fans in!! Pitches looking more like beaches. How times have changed for the better.
Just seen Div 2 Chelsea v Notts County, Kilcline in defence for County and Stamford Bridge has open terracing! I don’t remember that at the time,

Just had my football ⚽ fix for the day, watched the 87 FA Cup final again, buzzing. 😊

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Hillsborough disaster was the beginning of the end for fence's.

Stamford Bridge was a big open ground before it was re developed with those big stand's.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Stamford Bridge was probably most recognisable by the Shed End being an enormous open terrace with a row of what were known in the day as "invalid carriages" in front - little blue fibreglass three-wheeled cars with hand controls and moped engines.
We never had spikes on top of the fences at HR - just an overhang.
I remember the chant of "clean the fence, clean the fence, clean the fence" when we were about to do our regular Houdini act on the last day of the season, and all the kiddies would get a copy of the Telegraph and climb up and wipe the dirt and birdshit off the top so people didn't get their clothes dirty when invading the pitch on the final whistle!!!

But yes, the fences came down after the report into Hillsborough.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That’s a bit shocking
John Travolta Grease GIF by TIFF

ProfessorbyGrace

The Chelsea chairman, Ken Bates, seriously wanted to electrify the gates at Stamford Bridge to deter fans climbing them/invading the pitch.
Oh that’d deter them alright. Imagine that, all the pissed up supporters forgetting the fences were electrified…
Once shocked, burned, hospitalised and released, they’d have deterred him all the way to court. 🤣

ovduk78

Oh that’d deter them alright. Imagine that, all the pissed up supporters forgetting the fences were electrified…
Once shocked, burned, hospitalised and released, they’d have deterred him all the way to court. 🤣
I think he only wanted to electrify the top couple of feet so the parts in reach of supporters not trying to climb over them would be OK to touch.

oscillatewildly

Stamford Bridge was probably most recognisable by the Shed End being an enormous open terrace with a row of what were known in the day as "invalid carriages" in front - little blue fibreglass three-wheeled cars with hand controls and moped engines.
We never had spikes on top of the fences at HR - just an overhang.
I remember the chant of "clean the fence, clean the fence, clean the fence" when we were about to do our regular Houdini act on the last day of the season, and all the kiddies would get a copy of the Telegraph and climb up and wipe the dirt and birdshit off the top so people didn't get their clothes dirty when invading the pitch on the final whistle!!!

But yes, the fences came down after the report into Hillsborough.
That wasn't just general dirt - a lot of clubs (including ours) actively greased the higher parts of perimeter fencing to deter such activity.
As if it wasn't difficult a task in the first place.

Ashdown

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough was interesting back in the 80s. I seem to remember a lot of barbed wire 😬

eastwoodsdustman

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough was interesting back in the 80s. I seem to remember a lot of barbed wire 😬
I remember going there and they’d closed off the bottom of the home end terrace and left 3 police dogs running around in the to stop fans trying to get accross.

ovduk78

A lad I used to play football with went to watch Leeds at Ayresome Park. He was a policeman at the time so he stopped to speak to a policeman near the ground to find out the best place to park and was told to "park wherever he wanted as nowhere was safe!"

Users who are viewing this thread