Blog - Its not just the right manager needed at Coventry, its the right mentality... (1 Viewer)

Ccfc1979

I've read it. Think it almost matches how I think, and the Swansea example ( and perhaps WBA) is a very good one. We, in this league, probably have the best chance now to do that. Well written.

Midfield General

That's an excellent read...I'm not sure how the winning mentality could change, only on the back of a period of good results I guess. I'll hold my hands up and say that I'm often thinking along the lines of "Can't see us getting a good result here..." or "...OK we're 2-0 up, 10 minutes to go...we're probably going to draw."

25 years of watching the City does that to you... :(

Disorganised1

Sometimes it's about defining what is 'winning.' As you say one could argue that our 35 years at the top were all victories, but is mere survival a victory. Surely there has to be an improvement to define success. Many will argue that our failure to build on our cup success was related to our being blocked from European competition, or the subsequent illness to John Sillett, or the arrival or Bryan Richardson. Whichever path you elect it remains that we reached a mentality where surviving was victory.

Somewhere we lost that, and the attitude became one of acceptance that we were unlucky, or cursed, or held back by our owners.

This season we need automatic promotion, nothing else will do, and we need to carry that mentality into the Championships next season, No sentimentality, we must be winners to survive.

Big Mo

The whole mentality and perception of the club needs to change, players come here with an attitude summed up by morrisons comment its just coventry init.

Fans myself included can't be blameless either, years of being down trodden by mediocrity have led to a level of acceptance that this is somehow ok.

Massive opportunity this year to make a positive change, genuinely think anything other than promotion this year would be a failure.

CovfanDan

Good write up that A.P, nice one.

We have spoken before about the mentality of the club haven't we and what can be defined as 'success'. Looking back, we perhaps took the Premier League days for granted, just look at the clubs that have overtaken us on and off the field, not only in the Championship but a few Premier League teams too.( to be honest 10 years ago I didnt really pay to much attention to the likes of Wigan, Reading, Stoke and the like, I didn't even give Swansea a second look when I moved down this way, my my how the tables have turned!

Users who are viewing this thread