Bobby Gould talks about Big George. (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Kid

Just read Bobby's column in the CET on Big George Curtis.
He asks, what would George have done if Suarez had bitten him.
The first thing that comes to mind would be...Is that before or after George ripped his head off...What do you think?;)

covboy1987

Just read Bobby's column in the CET on Big George Curtis.
He asks, what would George have done if Suarez had bitten him.
The first thing that comes to mind would be...Is that before or after George ripped his head off...What do you think?;)

This may surprise people that George Curtis was manager of the team from April 1986 to May 1987 and had the 2nd best win ratio in the clubs history 50%
Only beaten by a certain Mark Robins 51.52%

lordsummerisle

At 6:44 on this, scariest opponent of Duncan McKenzie was George Curtis!

Remember seeing this on telly at the time, unfortunately cuts off before the end.

[video=youtube;g9G6_kJYh60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9G6_kJYh60[/video]

Shame we didn't get the end of that story about Gorge Curtiss, wonder who people reckon our last proper hard man player was? I mean someone the oppo would look at and think "oh shit he's playing". My money would be Big Mo, no one comes near him in the modern era

Sky Blue Kid

One Centre half who was hard but not given much of a chance was Jeff Blockley. Could dish it out and take it back.
This is better, this is what a football forum should be about....Football, and footballers:D

deanocity3

One Centre half who was hard but not given much of a chance was Jeff Blockley. Could dish it out and take it back.
This is better, this is what a football forum should be about....Football, and footballers:D

He is the top Arsenal player to be named as the worsed Arsenal player ever to play for England.
Sir Alf picked him for England 2 weeks after leaving cov for £200,000 to go to the Gunners

lordsummerisle

Liam Daish scared me

Was just about to say the same.

Remember on Soccer Am years ago(when it was good!), Julian Dicks was on and they were going on about what a hard-man he was, and they mentioned that Liam Daish was on the following week, he said something like "Now he is hard".

When Daish was on they were doing the knocking the ball through a hole challenge and Noel Gallagher was doing it to, and bet Daish £50 he couldn't get it through, just dinked it in first time.

Dinking anything not something ever associated with Daish!

someone i used to work with, jamie williams who used to play for city reserves told me that in training daish and paul williams had a bit of a ruck over a dodgy tackle. that wouldve been a good scrap to watch

itsvangool

Alan Dugdale :eek: I have a video somewhere of a game at West ham in about 1975 where he goes straight through Jimmy Neighbour and sends him five foot in the air before standing over him admiring his efforts.....

wingy

Alan Dugdale :eek: I have a video somewhere of a game at West ham in about 1975 where he goes straight through Jimmy Neighbour and sends him five foot in the air before standing over him admiring his efforts.....

Great first post ,welcome to the site.:welcome:

itsvangool

Great first post ,welcome to the site.:welcome:

Thanks for your welcome. Username is a homage the the Telegraph headline after he signed. I remember they had built up the readers all week with the big international star we were imminently signing!!

rupert_bear

I have not seen a tougher footballer than George Curtis in 50 years of watching the game. remember when he was carried off at Forest with a badly broken leg he sat up on the stretcher taking him off....smiling

S

skyblue2k

i always remember Brian Kilkline, great centre half. Used to love the chant "Killers gonna get ya"

Attachments

• kilcline-368768.jpg
    kilcline-368768.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

lordsummerisle

I have not seen a tougher footballer than George Curtis in 50 years of watching the game. remember when he was carried off at Forest with a badly broken leg he sat up on the stretcher taking him off....smiling

Remember when he used to run the Sky Blue Club at Highfield Road?

Once after leaviing there to go the game after a few pints, was just outside when this huge hand grabbed me on the shoulder and it was George Curtis.

I shit myself.

Was just giving me my keys back I'd left on the bar.

SkyblueBazza

This may surprise people that George Curtis was manager of the team from April 1986 to May 1987 and had the 2nd best win ratio in the clubs history 50%
Only beaten by a certain Mark Robins 51.52%

Funnily enough...I think George has always been a little coy about his impact on the Cup winning side. Passing the glory to Snozz. My belief has long been that George was the driving force. Snozz a great coach/tactician perhaps to achieve what we did with what was considered a rag-tag side compared to many. The combined strengths won us the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread