Book Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Going to try and do some more reading, I can't find the original thread.

Anybody got any recommendations on sport / football or true crime type books?

*Please not the predictable answer, I know people want to say it!

stupot07

Currently reading, the Nowhere Men about football scouts. I'm about half way through, its a pretty interesting read.

Edit. It won't let me post the link, keeps trying to change it to a video.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Currently reading, the Nowhere Men about football scouts. I'm about half way through, its a pretty interesting read.

Thanks, will have a look!

Nick

Administrator

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think I will just buy Miranda's autobiography ;)

I even put a disclaimer in the OP, like I can see into the future.

giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

Any of the Danny Baker autobiographies are a fantastic read.

'The Valley' by Richard Benson - biography of a few generations of a family living in the Dearne Valley in South Yorkshire, superb.

The Corner or Homicide by David Simon (essentially these are what the TV show the Wire derived from)

Monners

Alan Johnson's first part of his autobiography is heart rendering. Bruce Springsteens is brilliant (you don't need to be a fan). Anything by Bill Bryson

Captain Dart

I loved that.

LastGarrison

Marching Powder - Rusty Young
8 Lives Down - Major Chris Hunter
Open - Andre Agassi
The Iceman - Philip Caro
Mr Nice - Howard Marks
Four Kings - George Kimball
Three penny Memoir - Carl Barat

All good reads.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Brian Clough's autobiography was great. (Can't remember the title)
The God Squad - Paddy Doyle (more or less his autobiography)
Pater Noster - Me :emoji_relieved:

torchomatic

I think I will just buy Miranda's autobiography ;)

I even put a disclaimer in the OP, like I can see into the future.

giphy.gif

You could get it from Amazon second hand for a quid last week. Still wasn't tempted.

Gazolba

I liked George Best's autobiography. I also thought Anderson's book on football stats was eye-opening, not really a leisure read though.

fernandopartridge

Brian Clough's autobiography was great. (Can't remember the title)
The God Squad - Paddy Doyle (more or less his autobiography)
Pater Noster - Me :emoji_relieved:
Clough didn't write one did he? The chief reporter from the Nottingham evening post did a biography of him which was great. On a similar theme as is the Damned Utd

clint van damme

Clough didn't write one did he? The chief reporter from the Nottingham evening post did a biography of him which was great. On a similar theme as is the Damned Utd

he did, and it was very similar to the one Tony Francis wrote only the Francis book hinted at some financial impropriety while at Derby. Apparently Clough never spoke to him again.

ovduk78

A LIfe Too Short, biography about Robert Enke by Ronald Reng, brilliant book & very heart wrenching at the end

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The Nick Stone series by Andy McNab is really good.

It reads 'as fiction', but McNab is an ex-SAS soilder and has previously admitted several times a lot of the books are based on him and his experiences around the world essentially working as a deniable operative after his time in the SAS.

skyblueinBaku

I really enjoyed 'First Down And A Billion' by Gene Klein. It's written by the ex-owner of the San Diego Chargers, and you don't need to be into American Football to be amused by it. It's quite old, so probably only available on Amazon.

SlowerThanPlatt

Just finished Neil Warnock's. A really good insight I thought into football management on and off the pitch from a manager who's been around the block a few times. Also some amazing stories on Taarabt's personal life at QPR. Want to read a Cov related one next, probably Cyrille's

Kingokings204

Yes open by Andre Agassi is a great read for a big tennis fan like me.

The miracle of Castro di sangro is all about a lower league team reaching and achieving new heights that fantastic.

Any book by Malcom Gladwell as he is just amazing. Real life books based on hard evidence.

Also Paul Merson was a decent read and how football has changed. He open admits playing in some premier league games pissed as a fart and even threw up on the pitch in one game. You wouldn't see that now.

eastwoodsdustman

I really enjoy any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Picked one up for a pound in Matalan a few years back and got hooked on them. They're fiction but based on historical facts.

Users who are viewing this thread