Born again (1 Viewer)

wingy

1950 I think.
I'd liked to have been transitioning into adulthood in the Hippie/Psychodelic era.

Covkid1968#

I’m not sure I Could be arsed to do it all again.... I’d make all the same mistakes. But 1950 would be good. Post war boom and part of that generation that broke through a few social barriers would be fun. Late 60s I’d be kicking the arse out of life

Macca

If I’ve got all my knowledge 1965 and I’ll be a tech billionaire.

If I’m starting new. Right now. Life is better than it ever has been on average.

yes it is in many ways, would like the world to slow the fuck down a bit sometimes though

shmmeee

yes it is in many ways, would like the world to slow the fuck down a bit sometimes though

There’s something about medieval times that, if you can get past the inequality and disease, is quite appealing.

We always seem to go back to that time when making fantasy worlds. Simple jobs, small communities, direct interaction with the planet and our food and housing.

I do wonder sometimes if the fact that human yearn for those times is a sign we’ve gone too far.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Good question Macca. I've typed 3 different responses, deleted them all & have decided I'll stick to my 1971......although if I can swerve the early years of my nomadic & abused childhood, that would be a great improvement.

Good choice hill83. (y)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There’s something about medieval times that, if you can get past the inequality and disease, is quite appealing.

We always seem to go back to that time when making fantasy worlds. Simple jobs, small communities, direct interaction with the planet and our food and housing.

I do wonder sometimes if the fact that human yearn for those times is a sign we’ve gone too far.

Being part of the Renaissance wouldn't have been a bad thing I guess. Just not a fan of the disease and unsanitary conditions.

In terms of selfishness, born in the 40's would've been OK. No memory of the war due to age, then NHS (+ penicillin and anti-biotics etc so likely to have a longer, healthier life), social security, ownership of council houses for a lot cheaper, white goods being available to make things easier, reasonable job security and decent wages, final salary pensions, loads of stuff paid for later on as a pensioner like prescriptions, TV licence. And you'd be the right age to enoy the swinging 60's. Yes you'd also have the strikes etc of the 70's and the recession etc of the 80's to put up with but no time is going to be perfect.

NorthernWisdom

Actually, pandemic aside(!) we've been remarkably lucky to live through a period where, unless we chose to, we haven't had to fight, and we've had a welfare state to give support, of sorts. Smallpox has also been eradicated, and we tend to have warm houses and food to eat... in this country at least. Not to say *everybody* does, but we're better off in that respect than just about every period before.

I guess people who came into adulthood late '60s/early '70s got peak conditions, in that respect?

Liquid Gold

Born now. We live longer and safer than ever before.

Time machine for a look about for a bit, golden age of Rome.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ordinarily I'd agree. But there's so much been going on the last few years I think there's areal danger at the moment for the future. Life expectancy, wealth etc have all been expected to go down for the current generation, this pandemic has been just a small taste of what might potentially happen with anti-biotic resistance and the rise of populism here and in the US matched against the likes of China and Russia makes it potentially a very dangerous time right now. No-one thought a second world war would ever be possible after the horror of the first.

Of course this could all change in five/ten years and everything be great.

Liquid Gold

Ordinarily I'd agree. But there's so much been going on the last few years I think there's areal danger at the moment for the future. Life expectancy, wealth etc have all been expected to go down for the current generation, this pandemic has been just a small taste of what might potentially happen with anti-biotic resistance and the rise of populism here and in the US matched against the likes of China and Russia makes it potentially a very dangerous time right now. No-one thought a second world war would ever be possible after the horror of the first.

And you missed out the biggest of them all, the climate being monumentally fucked

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

And you missed out the biggest of them all, the climate being monumentally fucked

Yeah but I'm being optimistic about that. I don't reckon it'll be totally unlivable for at least a generation! Uncomfortable and even more crowded as sea levels rise and population continues to grow exponentially, but not unlivable...

Ian1779

I’d be intrigued to see how advanced civilisations like this and the Greeks really were. I’d wager it’s far more than we realise.

Ian1779

Maybe until we discover that we aren’t alone in the Universe we’ll carry on in the same manner.

xcraigx

When I first saw the question I thought it would be a faily easy answer but i'm really struggling. I want to live through a time where medicine is good and life expectancy is high, so that rules out anything before 1900. I'm a lover, not a hater and would never want to live through or fight in a world war so that discounts everything before 1945. The 60's looked great, so 1950 may be a good year. But then I would have to have endured and remembered the entire 80's. From what I remember of it is was a shit time, and i'd rather not have 10 years worth of it to look back on (born in 1980).

When I was in school computers were a new thing, I think we spent an hour a week messing about on word and that was about it. Maybe if I was born a couple of years later I would have had a bit more exposure to computing a little sooner. But then I only just got on the housing ladder before it crashed and I probably wouldn't have done if I was a little younger so I would probably be well out of pocket and still renting.

Coronavirus and the knock on effect for the economy worries me, I'm 40 this year and I feel if I do become unemployed I may well stay that way for an extended period of time. If I was 20 years older I might just have been able to retire and skip all the fallout. But then i'd have endured the 80's and missed out on computers and what not. I seem to be going around in circles here.

I don't know, I think I would probably settle for 1980 so no change. There are good points, there are bad points but that's life innit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’d be intrigued to see how advanced civilisations like this and the Greeks really were. I’d wager it’s far more than we realise.

Also do a comparison to other civilisations. For example it's believed the Celts had a crude form of social security (basically like home help) and wouldfeed and nurse the sick but are seen as uncivilised. Others like certain Greek city states would just dump weak children in the wilderness to fend for themselves and people like the Mayans/Incans would sacrifice the elderly (esp the elderly women) because they were deemed worthless and a drain on resources. Yet they're considered great 'civilisations'.

It's all about who got to write the history, and often that is the most ruthless/technologically advanced rather than the most 'civilised'

Grendel

All I can think of is the most bizarre Black Sabbath album of all time

fernandopartridge

1950, born into a cradle to grave welfare state, free higher education and a booming economy. Good chance of being able to retire at a reasonable age on a good pension.

I'll still be bitter as fuck about it all and want to make sure young people or foreigners don't get anything for free, unlike me.

Last edited:

clint van damme

1950, born into a cradle to grave welfare state, free higher education and a booming economy. Good chance of being able to retire at a reasonable age on a good pension.

I'll still be bitter as fuck about it all and want to make young people or foreigners don't get anything for free, unlike me.

Contender for post of the year though I think Hills bee gees post just shades it.

clint van damme

Probably 3 or 4 years earlier. I loved punk but was just a bit too young to enjoy it to its fullest extent

chiefdave

I'll still be bitter as fuck about it all and want to make sure young people or foreigners don't get anything for free, unlike me.
I'd go the same. From a financial perspective its a no-brainer.

Apart from that you'd be growing up in the Jimmy Hill years. Teen years soundtracked by the likes of the Beatles and Stones or the emergence of metal if you like it heavier. Then in your 20s you get to see punk come along and blow it all away.

Users who are viewing this thread