Match Thread Bournemouth Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

You were bankrolled up the leagues, you're no plucky underdogs.
You should go up this season, indeed you'd have stayed up if you gave Howe the boot at the right time.
Agree broadly with your assessment on us, we gave you too much respect even though you player for player were better than us.

It was like a Year 7 cowering before a Year 9

Brighton Sky Blue

Thought behind what you write. Jeez. Have you seen how much we got for Ake, Wilson and the parachute payment. What income have you had?

I’m talking about the ‘rise’ not the annual £100 million TV cheque and inflated prices for English players. That’s the problem with small time shithousers that find a tycoon and get into the ‘best league in the world’.

Frostie

Thought behind what you write. Jeez. Have you seen how much we got for Ake, Wilson and the parachute payment. What income have you had?

I think everyone knows that relegation meant you needed to cut some cloth but before that you had one of the highest net spends in the whole of Europe.

No shame in us losing to you tonight even though we were our own worst enemies at times.

David O'Day

The Russian was at least £100m in by the time you got promoted, you got a FFP fine didn't you? Never mind where you are after £300m sky income. You still had a massive deficit in the last accounts despite £110m in Sky money.

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good yarn from a former Southampton fan.

mark82

Maybe but I'm right about these tinpot clowns.

Sold out for 6 years! Thank you for proving point

To be fair, they're in a decent position this year. Lack of crowds won't hurt them too much as it's a tiny percentage of their revenue. They have to go back up this year though otherwise suspect they'll drop back to their natural level. No issue with Bournemouth. Good little club who've had some investment which saved them from obscurity. Unfortunately it's an example of everything that's wrong with modern football (I'm sure their fans won't agree though) - money rules everything.

David O'Day

To be fair, they're in a decent position this year. Lack of crowds won't hurt them too much as it's a tiny percentage of their revenue. They have to go back up this year though otherwise suspect they'll drop back to their natural level. No issue with Bournemouth. Good little club who've had some investment which saved them from obscurity. Unfortunately it's an example of everything that's wrong with modern football (I'm sure their fans won't agree though) - money rules everything.

Yeah that and the 90m XI and the large parachute payments to top up the oligarch. They are a good team but they are everything that is wrong with football like you said.

mark82

I’m talking about the ‘rise’ not the annual £100 million TV cheque and inflated prices for English players. That’s the problem with small time shithousers that find a tycoon and get into the ‘best league in the world’.

Take me back to pre-premier league days any day. Much more competitive. Promoted teams could actually go on and compete. It wasn't all about money and business back then.

Brighton Sky Blue

Take me back to pre-premier league days any day. Much more competitive. Promoted teams could actually go on and compete. It wasn't all about money and business back then.

Now it's about giving teams so much money they can make a profit even if nobody went to the games. Then trying to persuade the audience that Bournemouth v Burnley in front of Allan and Lawrence is the game of the century

afcb1

The rise was about £35 million.....feck all in the big scheme of things and dont pretend for a minute you wouldnt try that cunning stunt ;) (if it came your way of course)

mark82

Now it's about giving teams so much money they can make a profit even if nobody went to the games. Then trying to persuade the audience that Bournemouth v Burnley in front of Allan and Lawrence is the game of the century

To be fair, always enjoyed Bournemouth games in the Prem. At least they tried to play good football under Howe (if a little naïve at times). It's teams like Burnley I find hard to watch (and Stoke when they were there).

Frostie

Yeah that and the 90m XI and the large parachute payments to top up the oligarch. They are a good team but they are everything that is wrong with football like you said.

True but how many established PL teams have done it without?

Used to gall when Leicester won the PL & it was all "plucky little Leicester" & "showing the big spending teams how its done".
They've been bankrolled by billionaires for years & wrote off tens of millions of debt when going into admin, forcing smaller companies out of business without an ounce of guilt. They even stiffed their stadium builders who were going to be involved in the Ricoh project & they withdrew from stadium construction completely & subsequently went out of business.

They're the main reason that punishments such as points deductions were then brought in for entering administration yet the media hold them up as this fantastic, morally whiter than white club.

KenilworthSkyBlue

As Derby showed you can pull a number out of the ether. As Man City show every season you can make up bullshit sponsorship agreements. More teams get away with this than get their fingers burned

Bournemouth don't have a potential stadium sale to fall back on though, so the Derby situation doesn't show anything. Like Aston Villa, Derby had a stadium to sell in order to counteract the EFL's P&S rules. Sheffield Wednesday were charged for the same breach, but again they had a stadium to sell in their attempt to try and cover their losses. As I've already stated Bournemouth's stadium isn't owned by them.

It's significantly harder for Championship clubs to inflate sponsorship agreements to the extent that those in the Premier League do....so I highly doubt that option would be their saving grace.

The point isn't whether they'll be charged by the EFL for financial misconduct though, as P&S rules won't kick in after 3 years (4 if the recent changes are made permanent). Plus they're highly inconsistent in giving out punishments. It's whether Demin will be willing to continue pumping tens of millions into the club in order to keep it afloat. Personally, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he eventually refused - which is an issue for the club as in its current state it's unsellable.

mark82

The rise was about £35 million.....feck all in the big scheme of things and dont pretend for a minute you wouldnt try that cunning stunt ;) (if it came your way of course)

It doesn't sound much now, but at the time it was a lot. You can understand why teams do it, the prize (financially at least) is so big. I think I actually prefer this level to the premier league as a fan (or I will once we re-establish ourselves). Just wish they'd ditch parachute payments and introduce some sort of wage cap. At some point some of these historic clubs will go pop as some of the spending at this level is unsustainable.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's what wrong with football in this country and don't even try to pretend otherwise

David O'Day

True but how many established PL teams have done it without?

Used to gall when Leicester won the PL & it was all "plucky little Leicester" & "showing the big spending teams how its done".
They've been bankrolled by billionaires for years & wrote off tens of millions of debt when going into admin, forcing smaller companies out of business without an ounce of guilt. They even stiffed their stadium builders who were going to be involved in the Ricoh project & they withdrew from stadium construction completely & subsequently went out of business.

They're the main reason that punishments such as points deductions were then brought in for entering administration yet the media hold them up as this fantastic, morally whiter than white club.

Most of these clubs are the same, outside the traditional big clubs they are just a constantly inflating bubble which will burst one day

Users who are viewing this thread