British woman guilty of false gang rape claim in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

BBC News - Briton guilty over Ayia Napa false rape claim
Briton guilty over Ayia Napa false rape claim

Not sure what to believe here. On the face of the BBC article you would say its refreshing that woman like this are being punished for cases like this (particularly after Ched Evans and the guy from JLS where their names were pulled through the mud)

However other souces say she was filed by the other guys and was made to change her statement to guilty by the police.

No winners here?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rd45

The majority of rapes are never reported.
The majority of reported rapes are never prosecuted.
The majority of rape prosecutions end in acquittal.

I’ve got no idea what really happened in this case, and I’m not about to guess. But there’s an awful lot of rapists out there walking free - far far more than there have ever been false accusations.

Gazolba

The majority of rapes are never reported.
The majority of reported rapes are never prosecuted.
The majority of rape prosecutions end in acquittal.

I’ve got no idea what really happened in this case, and I’m not about to guess. But there’s an awful lot of rapists out there walking free - far far more than there have ever been false accusations.
Very true and most rapes are commited in places like India and Pakistan, or anywhere else where women are seen as property rather than equal individuals.

clint van damme

Very true and most rapes are commited in places like India and Pakistan, or anywhere else where women are seen as property rather than equal individuals.

The incidents of reported rape in India are far less than in the US.
Of course you will say it is under reported in India which I'd imagine is true but it appears that is also the case in the US.
I'd be surprised if more than a very small percentage of prison rape is reported in the US.

shmmeee

The incidents of reported rape in India are far less than in the US.
Of course you will say it is under reported in India which I'd imagine is true but it appears that is also the case in the US.
I'd be surprised if more than a very small percentage of prison rape is reported in the US.

Very hard to compare countries for a host of reasons, cultural ones keeping it quiet, legal definitions differ (see Sweden’s rape rate because of the change of definition). Male rape is always underreported as are crimes in prison so I’d expect you’re right.

clint van damme

Very hard to compare countries for a host of reasons, cultural ones keeping it quiet, legal definitions differ (see Sweden’s rape rate because of the change of definition). Male rape is always underreported as are crimes in prison so I’d expect you’re right.

Spot on.
Which makes me wonder why he threw out the names of India and Pakistan without anything to corroborate it?!

I find it a bit disturbing that a false claim of rape, (Which is itself as horrible crime) has received an incredible amount of headline media coverage compared to rapes when they occur.

Otis

This case looks very tragic and I am inclined to believe the girl here.

Her lawyer is saying the retraction statement was given when no lawyer or translator was present and that, that was in breach of European human rights law.

They have also argued that the video found on some of the Israelis' phones showed her having consensual sex with one of the group while others tried to enter the room and that she told them to leave.

Having sex with one doesn't mean she wasn't raped by all the others.

If this is true, what a horrible nightmare this must be for her and she may never be able to go and lead a normal life after this.

That recantation would surely be thrown out of court here.

Users who are viewing this thread