Butts Park Arena is new home (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Administrator
We will still be at the Ricoh for another 8-10 years even if we build a new stadium, you keep talking about lack of aspirations so, I'm asking you where you think we will be in 5 years time at the Ricoh under a similar arrangements to what we have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Do you mean us as a football club or as people?

SkyBlue_Bear83

We are doing really well at the minute though, 15k would be enough I think.

Then if we got to the Championship it could be increased.

It is down to ease of additional capacity that it could be done in a pre season if we got promoted.

Assuming it happens, I'd hope by the time it was built we would hopefully be in the championship. 18k would be my aim to begin with.

stupot07

Who will own the new stadium ? What will our rent be ? What incomes will the stadium owners let us have access to ?

Who knows. Until we see a business case we don't know whether it's a goer or not.

I'm keeping an open mind until I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Do you mean us as a football club or as people?

Football club.

Italia says if we're in league one in 5 years time somethings gone wrong. We know that our revenue at the Ricoh will limit us to a league one/championship club, so there's a good chance we'll be in league one.

as duffer keeps saying, if people definitely want us to stay full time at the Ricoh on a similar deal as we're on now than fans have to accept the glass ceiling.

Samo

Are you a genius ?

No actually, where do we want to be ?
If it's L1 then yes it's big enough but count me out on lack of ambition.
In fact when the stadiums built in 5 years where will we be ?
If it's L1 somethings gone wrong.

Compared to you? Yes, definitely.

italiahorse

We will still be at the Ricoh for another 8-10 years even if we build a new stadium, you keep talking about lack of aspirations so, I'm asking you where you think we will be in 5 years time at the Ricoh under a similar arrangements to what we have now?

In the championship and still at the Ricoh

Samo

You may be, you just don't act it.
Start taking notes and I'll get you there.

Fact is, you don't need to be a genius to do the maths but still this is beyond you.

J

Jack Griffin

If TM stays (or if he goes then the policy to find a replacement is as successful as Swansea/Southampton/Stoke) and keeps doing what he is doing I think the club will get promotion and have 18-20K crowds or better at the Ricoh.

Then the job is not just to stay there but to take it to the next level without putting the club back in hole financially. I think that is achievable, I honestly do.

Johnnythespider

FFS the butts is too small, it's hemmed in by a road, a railway line and a soon to be completed retirement village. I think Les Reid must be laughing his moobs off. Unless Anderson told him I would take it with a pinch of salt, and I don't think Anderson has told him anything. Remember when we talked about the good football we are playing and how much better the atmosphere is at the ricoh this season, how easily it is derailed.

Nick

Administrator
Would nobody else rather a smaller stadium with our branding, our colours, our history that's near enough full every week than one a bit bigger that is black and gold and covered in Wasps stuff and half empty?

Samo

FFS the butts is too small, it's hemmed in by a road, a railway line and a soon to be completed retirement village. I think Les Reid must be laughing his moobs off. Unless Anderson told him I would take it with a pinch of salt, and I don't think Anderson has told him anything. Remember when we talked about the good football we are playing and how much better the atmosphere is at the ricoh this season, how easily it is derailed.

But nothing is derailed. Yes the footy is good, let's talk about it. But with talks with Wasps imminent, there is another subject worthy of discussion.

Otis

We are doing really well at the minute though, 15k would be enough I think.

Then if we got to the Championship it could be increased.

It is down to ease of additional capacity that it could be done in a pre season if we got promoted.

I don't think it is happening, but wouldn't mind 15k for League one on the basis it was easily upgraded based on promotions.

Yeah agree, 15,000 for where we are now is fine. But if the ground would take a couple of years to complete, then wouldn't we be expecting to be in the Championship by then and then 15,000 wouldn't be enough.

All fine if a 15,000 seater stadium could just be conjured up now for us, this very instant, but it obviously doesn't work like that unfortunately. If we're looking to move up the leagues, which is what the club and TM are surely looking to do, then to move into a much, much smaller capacity ground circa 12,000 would be madness.

We seem ambitious at the moment to get of this league. I'll be bitterly, bitterly disappointed if we're not in the Championship in 2 years.

15,000 would be ideal for us now, this minute in League 1 and nowhere else.

duffer

I'm just going to throw out a few random thoughts here, after churning through all of this.

1) Regardless of how good a deal we get with Wasps, it won't give us sufficient access to any other revenue streams at the stadium. Being tenants at Wasps is almost by definition self-limiting - FFP in the Championship is even more restrictive than in L1. We might only get 15,000 at the Butts, but we're only getting 11,000 at the Ricoh. And at least we'll keep most of the money that is spent at the Butts, rather than a smaller proportion of that at the Ricoh.

2) I've lived through this "we need a 30,000 seater stadium" once already. I was daft to believe it then, and I'm not falling for it twice. 20,000 is plenty, and if we want to build a modular 15,000 expandable stadium until we actually do see success on the pitch and can afford to expand, that's fine with me. I'm heartily sick of sitting in a half empty stadium.

3) Wasps might be in a tighter spot that some here would accept. Gates have already started to drop, and they're still dishing out plenty of freebies. Every family in my kids school got a pair last week - that's going to be something like 300 free tickets just at one, small school. Wasps still only got 11,000 down from 14,000 last year, and they've got to pay back £2m a year in interest on their bond issue (an issue of which a large proportionwill only benefit the owner). CCFC helping them out with a long term deal might well not be in the club's best interest - as far as I can see it, anything that distresses Wasps has the potential to be good for CCFC.

4) I'm a Cov RFC fan, and I'd have no problem with it if it was done correctly. The heritage of both teams has to be protected and respected.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

Can people not talk about multiple things though?

ie this news came out today / yesterday so people are talking about it, we have a game on Saturday people will be talking about (well, most anyway), we will then be talking about the result and performance etc.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah agree, 15,000 for where we are now is fine. But if the ground would take a couple of years to complete, then wouldn't we be expecting to be in the Championship by then and then 15,000 wouldn't be enough.

All fine if a 15,000 seater stadium could just be conjured up now for us, but it won't work like that unfortunately. If we're looking to move up the leagues, which is what the club and TM are surely looking to do, then to move into a much, much smaller capacity ground circa 12,000 would be madness.

We seem ambitious at the moment to get of this league. I'll be bitterly, bitterly disappointed if we're not in the Championship in 2 years.

15,000 would be ideal for us now, this minute in League 1 and nowhere else.

But if the stadium planned easily easily upgradeable they would surely start the build with promotion in mind and if it was the case we did they would just build it with more seats?

italiahorse

Would nobody else rather a smaller stadium with our branding, our colours, our history that's near enough full every week than one a bit bigger that is black and gold and covered in Wasps stuff and half empty?

Depends on who owns it, what the rent is and how much access we have to incomes.

Gynnsthetonic

Yes me, navy and sky blue seats and history all around the ground of both CCFC and CRFC, make me proud to be a Coventrian, and there is ample room to accomadate a 25000 stadium which I think would suit us ok!

Otis

But if the stadium planned easily easily upgradeable they would surely start the build with promotion in mind and if it was the case we did they would just build it with more seats?

I just can't see the Butts being able to accommodate the increase capacity needed. Has anyone been round there lately? I go past it and round the back of it every week and I just can't see there being the scope to increase to the degree we would need. Space is very, very tight around there.

J

Jack Griffin

Not falling for it.

Otis

Yes me, navy and sky blue seats and history all around the ground of both CCFC and CRFC, make me proud to be a Coventrian, and there is ample room to accomadate a 25000 stadium which I think would suit us ok!

Where is the ample room? I just can't see it. how on earth could a 25,000 capacity stadium be accommodated there? And there's a retirement village right smack bag next to it as it stands too.

Very little room there as soon as they started building round the Butts.

Johnnythespider

Can people not talk about multiple things though?

ie this news came out today / yesterday so people are talking about it, we have a game on Saturday people will be talking about (well, most anyway), we will then be talking about the result and performance etc.
Yeah I suppose, I just see some of the comments and can see it going the way it did in the sixfields days. It's that Les Reid he makes me nervous.

Samo

Where is the ample room? I just can't see it. how on earth could a 25,000 capacity stadium be accommodated there? And there's a retirement village right smack bag next to it as it stands too.

Very little room there as soon as they started building round the Butts.

Might liven those old fuckers up a bit!

Rob S

Well, it will never happen. Even SISU are not confirming it. They let Rob S and Les Reid put their reputations on the block in some sort of tactical ploy. More lmportant is CA's meeting with Wasps. He needs figures to make a comparison of renting from Wasps or renting from SISU's stadium investors.

You're assuming that SISU are happy about this news coming out? You also seem to be assuming that they'll be our owners forever.

hill83

Everyone saying the area is too small. Think outside the box. The rows can go directly up rather than back like steps.

italiahorse

The stadium committee have already decided that the seats can't be sky blue as it confuses the players.
Perhaps go for Gold ?

B-Ban-Boogie

Someone mentioned the Sporting Kansas City ground and i was amazed it is only a touch shy of 19,000..
I was a there a year ago and its a fantastic stadium.. the atmosphere was great too.

IMAG0755.jpg IMAG0757.jpg IMAG0756.jpg IMAG0758.jpg

Edit: Actually... that looks a hell of a lot like the mock up Cov stadium with the slanty roof...:eek:

Last edited:

Otis

Everyone saying the area is too small. Think outside the box. The rows can go directly up rather than back like steps.

Yes indeed and the surrounding area bathed in total shadow 24/7 will make house prices there cheaper too!! :D

Nick

Administrator

Yeah you could just have multiple tiers.

No idea if possible as Im not a stadium designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread