Callum contract offer (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

How far apart do you think we are?
Not sure what he wants is anything we can guarantee. If he's after PL football & wages then the choice is simple, get what we can in January or hope we go up and be prepared to lose him for a free in the summer if we don't

Find it hard to believe that the club are lo-balling him and not offering to make him one of the higher paid players in the squad.

The big unknown here is who would come in for him. By all accounts we weren't exactly inundated with offers for Hamer and he's ended up in a position that can hardly be much fun but he probably doesn't feel so bad when he looks at his bank balance.

From a career perspective I think you can make a pretty strong argument that continuing his development under Robins & his team and in a side that's playing to his strengths. But we all know its a career that can be ended at any minute, does any player want to take that gamble if PL level wages are on offer

Sky Blue Pete

Not sure what he wants is anything we can guarantee. If he's after PL football & wages then the choice is simple, get what we can in January or hope we go up and be prepared to lose him for a free in the summer if we don't

Find it hard to believe that the club are lo-balling him and not offering to make him one of the higher paid players in the squad.

The big unknown here is who would come in for him. By all accounts we weren't exactly inundated with offers for Hamer and he's ended up in a position that can hardly be much fun but he probably doesn't feel so bad when he looks at his bank balance.

From a career perspective I think you can make a pretty strong argument that continuing his development under Robins & his team and in a side that's playing to his strengths. But we all know its a career that can be ended at any minute, does any player want to take that gamble if PL level wages are on offer
Yep would be anyone in the premier league wouldn’t it

Legia Sky Blue

agreed, we always thought COH had rubber legs before the 1 big injury

Yes, before his injuries he was the most fouled player in the league, but even so was never away for the odd week here or there with niggling injuries that other players get, and was a permanent fixture in the team. The 2 long term injuries he had from the start of last season were innocuous freak type instances, not involving physical contact from an opponent

fatso

He's always likely to pick up the odd niggle, he was the most fouled player in the championship at one point, and gets targeted by opposition players.

That's part of the risk you have to accept when you have such a top quality player.

Since coming back from injury he looks a more complete player, having added goals and assists to his game.

SkyblueTexan

I'd like him to stay but can understand if he leaves us for a bigger pay day. Most of us would leave our jobs it someone offered us more money.
Job satisfaction should count for something. I’ve changed jobs for the money and have also stayed at a place longer in spite of potentially better offers just because the grass is not always greener on the other side. I wonder how much Hamer is enjoying his current gig.

mrtrench

Job satisfaction should count for something. I’ve changed jobs for the money and have also stayed at a place longer in spite of potentially better offers just because the grass is not always greener on the other side. I wonder how much Hamer is enjoying his current gig.

The thing is, that Hamer is now in the shop window for a bigger club if he performs well in the Premiership. If he had stayed, yes he would be in a winning team but being paid much less and still questions over his prem potential.

And let's be honest. If we do go up we are likely to have a similar trajectory to Sheffield next year anyway.

Loved Hamer but he was right to go and we were right to sell once he wanted off.

WestEndAgro

I'm pretty sure his agent will already know what club's are interested and what they would be willing to pay.
It's nieve to believe no contact would happen before May.
Recruitment is planned way in advance, although Hamer left late I'm certain Sheffield United didn't appear overnight.
The probable exceptions are team's who go up/down in unexpected circumstances.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If O'Hare is saying he wants X to sign, then surely it's a no brainer to give him it as we will have an asset worth £10-15 million if we wanted to cash in on him in the Summer.

We will make back the extra 6 months wages and more via the transfer fee in the summer if we wanted.

Obviously there is a limit to what amount x can be but if it's matching top earner then it's a no brainer.

SkyblueTexan

The thing is, that Hamer is now in the shop window for a bigger club if he performs well in the Premiership. If he had stayed, yes he would be in a winning team but being paid much less and still questions over his prem potential.

And let's be honest. If we do go up we are likely to have a similar trajectory to Sheffield next year anyway.

Loved Hamer but he was right to go and we were right to sell once he wanted off.
Agree that we had no option but to sell Hamer. But the timing and the way it went down sucked. So in a way I’m selfishly happy to see Sheff Utd get pasted sometimes so that Hamer realizes that karma’s a bitch. On the flip side, I’d also want Hamer to do well and get sold for 50M* so that we can pocket a chunk of any sell on clause.
As for COH, I hope he doesn’t play the same game Hamer did and that we get this sorted out in Jan rather than wait for the summer.

slowpoke

Agree that we had no option but to sell Hamer. But the timing and the way it went down sucked. So in a way I’m selfishly happy to see Sheff Utd get pasted sometimes so that Hamer realizes that karma’s a bitch. On the flip side, I’d also want Hamer to do well and get sold for 50M* so that we can pocket a chunk of any sell on clause.
As for COH, I hope he doesn’t play the same game Hamer did and that we get this sorted out in Jan rather than wait for the summer.
I’m not sure there were as many tears shed by the club than from the fans when he was transferred out.

SBT

If O'Hare is saying he wants X to sign, then surely it's a no brainer to give him it as we will have an asset worth £10-15 million if we wanted to cash in on him in the Summer.
We may have had the option to do that before he recovered from his injury but we weren’t willing to take the gamble. Now his wage demands will be decided by his performances for the rest of the season and by the level of interest from other clubs, and I expect both to be strong.

Ccfcisparks

1.5 year deal with £15m release clause with wages matching top earner surely.

Allows him to see where we are at the end of the season, if we don’t go up there’s potential for him to move. If nobody pays release clause he can leave on a free the following year.

also covers us if he does his acl in the next 3 months, only got 15 month contract to pay.

Noble

1.5 year deal with £15m release clause with wages matching top earner surely.

Allows him to see where we are at the end of the season, if we don’t go up there’s potential for him to move. If nobody pays release clause he can leave on a free the following year.

also covers us if he does his acl in the next 3 months, only got 15 month contract to pay.
He's more likely to get offers in the summer if there's no transfer fee to pay, it makes no sense for him to sign right now if he is maximising his options.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We may have had the option to do that before he recovered from his injury but we weren’t willing to take the gamble. Now his wage demands will be decided by his performances for the rest of the season and by the level of interest from other clubs, and I expect both to be strong.
Yea, I was calling for him to be signed up ages ago

Ccfcisparks

He's more likely to get offers in the summer if there's no transfer fee to pay, it makes no sense for him to sign right now if he is maximising his options.
Of course it does. He’s about 4/5 games back after a long lay off. He’s got 20 games before the end of the year. Surey in his mind he will consider the security of a contract in case he gets injured

SBT

Of course it does. He’s about 4/5 games back after a long lay off. He’s got 20 games before the end of the year. Surey in his mind he will consider the security of a contract in case he gets injured
He’s played 15 times and scored 6 goals. The time to be worried about the immediate/short-term security of his career has long passed.

Ccfcisparks

He’s played 15 times and scored 6 goals. The time to be worried about the immediate/short-term security of his career has long passed.
He’s started 7. There’s every possibility he gets injured again. If you don’t think that’s playing on his mind in his decision making you are mistaken

Grendel

He’s already been involved in 15 games. There’s no real evidence that he will get injured again - there’s always a risk but it’s not great - he can dictate terms in the summer and if he carries on as he is he will have 10 to 12 goals by then as well

SBT

He’s started 7. There’s every possibility he gets injured again. If you don’t think that’s playing on his mind in his decision making you are mistaken
Impossible to tell if he’s genuinely insecure about his future but watching him recently he doesn’t look like someone who’s playing with that kind of fear hanging over him. 99% of players will be advised to hold out for as much money as possible for all the reasons you’re talking about anyway.

Ccfcisparks

He’s already been involved in 15 games. There’s no real evidence that he will get injured again - there’s always a risk but it’s not great - he can dictate terms in the summer and if he carries on as he is he will have 10 to 12 goals by then as well
Players who have injured their knee in the past are 2-3x more likely to have a recurring injury in the following 2 seasons. There’s been studies on it.

shmmeee

Players who have injured their knee in the past are 2-3x more likely to have a recurring injury in the following 2 seasons. There’s been studies on it.

If he gets injured before the end of season he’ll get a cheap deal with us because it suits all parties. If he doesn’t he’s in a much better position whatever he does.

Mucca Mad Boys

Didn’t Jodi Jones make around 10-15 appearances before his second ACL?

I don’t think we should sell COH at all now, we’ll get terrible value for him and we’re in a better position to get promoted with him than without.

steve cooper

I can't see what all the panic is about, there's no rush now on either side. Callum knows there is a contract here waiting for him to sign, and we know to have a chance of keeping him we have to offer what he wants. That can happen anytime between now and the end of the season. We are not going to 'get one over' other clubs or Callum, and sign him on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread