• Ben Turner

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Richard Wood

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Jimthor

This is a question that's sprung to my mind lately- who should our club captain be next season?

- Clingan has been appointed captain since Thorn took over and i think he's done a great job. It makes sense considering the role he plays, and he seems to do well in the job, not afraid to have a go when it's needed.

A couple of things need to be considered though:

- Will Carsley be back? And if so will he get into the team? And if he plays, should he still be captain? My answer would probably be no on the first 2 counts, making the 3rd not relevent.

- Turner's been touted as a future City captain, and i definitely agree, think he's got all the credentials. A big possibility for me, but i reckon the more experienced Clingan will keep hold.

- Wood has also been captain numerous times at Coventry, but is seemingly out of favour with AT.

So on balance i think Clingan is the man for the job, although i love the idea of it being Turner at some point. What does everyone else think?

brinner

gota be clingan, his performances have gone thru the roof since he got the job, let him keep it.

turner vice captain.

Sammy for me at the moment combining his undoubted skill with new found freedom. Dare I say that Big Ben will eventually be one of the best centre halves in the land with potential honours ahead and a certainty for captaincy of CCFC - this lad is immense.

Richard Smith

i think its got to be clingan with turner as stand in would love to see turner as captian but at the moment i think it will be to much for him let him get fit and come back to the form he was in when he got injured and may in 2 seasons time he will be ready

kg82

Echoing many of the sentiments on here already, definitely Clingan. He's taken the responsibility under thorn and looks better than at any other time while he's been here! I'd love to see Turner as Captain but, as has been said above, might be a bit too soon for him.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
We don't know what influence each player has on the others. But Thorn will know and he'll have help from his staff.

Time will tell, we might bring in someone else to be our captain, but as it stands I voted for Clingan.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Clingan, with the squad we have. We may bring someone in in the summer who may he a better candidate.

Whoever usually gets the armband turns shit for us anyway, so while it doesnt seem to be affecting Clingans game, I say him!

Id hate it to not work out for Turner if he was named captain! Look how it worked out for Scotty Dann! I think he may have been younger than turner is now, but i think hes one of the worst ive seen with the captains armband. Knocked his confidence far too much! One of the many bad decisions by Coleman imo!

coventryecho

clingan next season for me

SkyBlue_Am

Sammy Clingan midfield general and can influence the game.....Turner future captain in the making if we can keep hold of him

mattylad

has to be super sammy clingan, just don't know why we stopped singing his song when he takes corners. used to love how embarrassed he looked.

Pigeon

Clingan has been a better player since he's been given the captain's arm band for the last few games. He doesn't hesitate on giving someone a good telling off. It'd be a choice of Turner or King for vice captain as King is a very experienced player who acts as a second captain on the pitch anyway and guides the younger players very well but Turner is a natural leader and one of our best players when fully fit. I trust Thorn to make the right choice with this one:)

Nick

Administrator
Cranie is a good shout but I always think it should be Centre Mids and Sammy has done a good job!

rob9872

My worry is that if we don't manage to hold onto one or two of the players out of contract we will lose our better players like Sammy too. I know we have a positive vibe with Thorn at the minute but Clingan's performances at the back end of this season will have been noted by teams in this league with bigger budgets than ours.

rob9872

The problem with selecting McPake (and I like him too) is that he is not even sure of his place in the side.

It will be interesting to see who goes in the summer. For me Wood is also a natural leader but with so many options at CB he is one who we could command a fee for and I understand on decent wages so I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on. I expect Keogh will move back to RB which is a shame for a much improved Clarke, but he'll get his chance again and that Turner/Wood/McPake will slot in alongside Cranie. A shame also for Cameron but he'll get more chances and has been a bonus for him and us this season. Having seen how Keogh can cover and with Clarke as RB cover, I wouldn't be surpirsed to lose two at CB with six strong options.

rob9872

Sorry, please ignore my ramblings. I've just read the entire thread on "awash with Centre backs" which had somehow passed me by

bamalamafizzfazz

Very good point regarding how affluent we are in the cb position however, I have to disagree with regards to Wood. I don't particularly rate him as a player as I don't think he reads the game very well. He has done ok filling in when needed at left back but for me is not as good as Cranie,Turner or even an out of position Keogh. If (and I appreciate it is a big if) McPake can get fit and stay fit he would be the ideal partner for Cranie and thus would be a good choice for the vice captain job.

Users who are viewing this thread