Car insurance claim (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice,

I've just been hit whilst driving, my car is worth in the region of £850, a 55 plate Peugeot 206, I expect it would be written off by insurer. I'm not too up on how claims work and having read a number of differing articles on the web and my policy details I am still not entirely sure where I stand.

If the accident is his fault and I make a claim, it is written off I will receive £850, the value of the car. Will my insurance then take the £500 voluntary excess written into my policy away from this ecen if it was not my fault?

Thanks in advance!

duffer

I thought (and hoped) as much, all I need to do now then is contact my insurer do I and they will contact his?

If I remember rightly you'll probably both have to complete claim forms that explain the circumstance of the accident, but your first step is definitely to inform your insurer.

When it comes to it, if they do write the car off they used to be reasonably happy for you to retain the vehicle for very little money. This can be useful if you think it's possible to get it repaired more cheaply and/or if the damage is primarily cosmetic. This may have changed now in fairness, so don't quote me on this though! :)

Be prepared to haggle for the value of the vehicle too - again insurance companies often seem to make derisory offers, at least initially.

Pipehitterz

AS Long as you have his details they should do the rest

If he admits to his insurance that he was at fault, it should go swimmingly
If he says it was you, then it's down to the company's to come up with who was liable.

Also, it's 850 your valuation?
If so, I would expect you'll be offered no more than £500 quid so do not plan your next car around the £850 cheque.

Hopefully it goes well, if he declines to admit fault and insurance cannot prove it, you will be liable to pay your own excess just to get your 'write off ' cheque.

It's a murky business, your insurance is already working it out, trying not to pay you any money.

eastwoodsdustman

Best thing to do is claim from third party insurance direct with you having a £500 excess on an £850 car as you'd end up having to claim the excess back from them anyway. Usually if you claim from the tp insurers direct then they will pay you out for the vehicle less a deduction for you to retain the salvage. This will mean that you'll get £x amount and keep the car and use the money towards either a new car or on repairs to put the car back on the road. Most insurers are ok to cover it still as long as its a cat c or cat d total loss.
PM me if you need any advice. Oh, and dont get a £500 excess on a £850 car in future!;)

olderskyblue

When it comes to it, if they do write the car off they used to be reasonably happy for you to retain the vehicle for very little money

I did this with a car of mine decades ago. Paid £25 to keep it. (Still got the car too..)

duffer

Nope, Triumph TR4A

Is that not one of the prettiest cars ever (I think that's a TR4A below). That was £25 well-spent, sir. :)

5661320.jpg

olderskyblue

Is that not one of the prettiest cars ever (I think that's a TR4A below). That was £25 well-spent, sir. :)

That is indeed the 4A and the correct colour, it's a very late one. They stopped making them in 67. Although, the reflector on the front wing behind the wheel isn't standard fit.

duffer

A thing of rare beauty, but if you polish it any more you're going to wear the paint off. There are surgical instruments that aren't as well cleaned as that car. :)

Is that a standard rear windscreen, may I ask? I've not seen one like that before...

olderskyblue

A thing of rare beauty, but if you polish it any more you're going to wear the paint off. There are surgical instruments that aren't as well cleaned as that car. :)

Is that a standard rear windscreen, may I ask? I've not seen one like that before...

It's called a surrey top. Proper back window, hard or soft top that fit on the top. The one in the your picture is a fully retractable soft top

Users who are viewing this thread