Carl Baker; Credit to our club (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Not only a passionate and proud Sky Blue, the story in the telegraph today is another story to add to the long list of fantastic things he does!

A SURPRISE phone call from Coventry City captain Carl Baker helped to banish the birthday blues for fan Brett Woodier.

Most teens celebrate their 18th birthday by raising a glass with their family and friends.

But Brett spent his big day at home in isolation as he battled leukaemia.

However, a call from his Sky Blues hero, along with a shirt and card signed by the whole squad, helped to make it a memorable day.

Carl wanted to help as he has seen the devastating effects of leukaemia up close – because both his brothers were diagnosed with the disease.

Brett said: “The phone call was the highlight of my day. I had a couple of family members round but I wasn’t allowed to see my friends or have a birthday cake.

“Carl is a lovely guy. He wished me happy birthday and told me how his brother beat leukaemia.

“I keep in touch with him on Facebook now and he said when I’m well he will arrange for me to go to a game and meet him afterwards.”

Brett was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia when he was 13 and has been taking tablets ever since.

The Caludon Castle student fell seriously ill last summer and needed a bone marrow transplant, which left his immune system low.

That meant he had to spend Christmas in isolation at Birmingham Children’s Hospital to protect him from catching an infection.

Although Brett was allowed home in time for his birthday, he still visits hospital twice a week, and it could take up nine months for his immune system to recover.

However, the aspiring accountant hopes he will be well enough to make it to Wembley if the Sky Blues triumph over Crewe in the area final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

He said: “I went to 11 of the last 14 games home and away last season with my dad and my sister Poppy.

“But I haven’t been well enough to go back since.

“I would be devastated if we got to Wembley and I couldn’t go.”

Carl has been a loyal supporter of Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research since his two brothers were diagnosed with the cancer.

Four years ago the midfielder lost his older brother Mike to leukaemia at the age of 34.

His younger brother Dean was also diagnosed with the disease when he was 16. Happily, he was given the all clear after three-and-a-half years of chemotherapy, blood and bone marrow transfusions.

Carl, aged 30, said: “When I saw Brett’s story in the Coventry Telegraph I found it really moving.

“It felt like I was reading about Dean – their ages and what they had been through was so similar.

“Brett was a really nice guy. I told him Dean was the perfect example of what can be done – you can survive if you stay positive.”

Link

Nick

Administrator
Fair play to him. The illness is obviously close to him so it is nice to see him doing things off his own back.

covkid

And they say that footballers are just big time charlies, well this ones doesnt fall into this leauge.. Well done Carl :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

aviles

carl is a credit to the club i have him on facebook and i love reading his status's he wrote a good one last week about charities saying he would love to be involved in as many as possible but he has asked people to contact the club rather than him directly. I added him into a group conversation with me and a few of the lads not expecting him to reply. But we gave him a bit of banter and to our delight he responded took the banter well and said i quote 'hopefully you will get to see us at wembley twice this season' so its nice to see a bit of confidence in the squad and its good to see players communicating with fans, the likes of baker and the edge do a fantastic job !

Steve.B50

Not always the fans number one choice but does always give his best.
Fair play to him, give credit where it's due.

Paxman II

For once the kind of story you like to hear. I hope the young lad recovers and wish him well for the future.

It just makes me realise how lucky I am.

aviles

i forwarded this thread in a private message to baker on facebook

here is the conversation

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/25999-Carl-Baker-Credit-to-our-club
thought you should have a read of this so you can see that all the hardwork you do on and off the pitch is appreciated by us fans !

Carl Baker; Credit to our club
www.skybluestalk.co.uk Coventry City Forum with coventry city highlights, coventry city chat and the latest rumours and gossip coming from the Ricoh

<LI class=_2n3>Today<LI id=wm:mid.1359990746567:20b05e768395eada29 class="webMessengerMessageGroup clearfix">

15:12 Expand
Show Images

Carl Baker
Thanks pal means so much reading them comments an I love this club an the fans who are always great to me. Least I could do :)

• such a great professional and a genuine top bloke

shropshirecov

Really hope he captains us to some success in whatever form this season, that would propell him to CCFC legend status. If anyone deserves it he does. The fella is a class act.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I'll add to the warm messages then. Lovely gesture from Baker and that article from when he was at Stockport is something special. Very proud to have him as our captain!

Delboycov

Thing is with Baker even when things weren't going his way on the pitch and he was getting possibly some unwarranted stick...he never went missing or sulked. He's always given 100% and from the high esteem he's held in by fans of his previous clubs...both on and off the pitch... it's no surprise he's turned things round so spectacularly. Top man.

junglej13

Baker is an absolute rarity in the game these days - a thoroughly decent bloke who loves playing football. He also loves captaining the club and id be gutted for him if he cant lead us out in front of a packed house tomorrow. Add to that he has been an absolute class act for us this season and for me should be our player of the season by some distance!

Grendel

D

Deleted member 4232

We have a team playing for us, playing for the shirt. We have a captain who not only plays out of his skin, but is a good man, and who is just as proud to be our captain, as we are of him. And we have a manager who not only gets results, does it with attractive football, and talks sense, knows when not to say anything, and is loyal and proud of his work.

What an age to support the sky blues. Who'd have put money on any of those things when we were relegated? Could be the best thing to happen to us...

D

Deleted member 4232

Relative to who? Ellory Cairo?

Relative by definition. By your definition and another's. Apart from having a dig, did you want to contribute anything else to the thread? This is a bit tedious.

Grendel

Relative by definition. By your definition and another's. Apart from having a dig, did you want to contribute anything else to the thread? This is a bit tedious.

You mean I am not allowed an opinion as it differs to yours. If you like I'll dig up a few threads about him from the last 3 am seasons and see who viewed him as a legend then. For 75% of his career at this club his performances have been sub standard. Not a status for a "legend". Sorry to disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread