Carrie Fisher (1 Viewer)

trevelfarandwide

Are celebrities worth more than ordinary people? If you read the local obituaries, you'll find lots of people with amazing stories to tell that no-one has ever heard of.

I agree 100%. I do, however, hold Carrie Fisher and her Leia 'slave' look quite dear, though. Very beautiful woman, back in the day (before '86 anyway) with unconventional allure.

Anyway, definitely agree about the importance of celebrities being exalted above us 'commoners'. It's a mark of today's society, sadly.

trevelfarandwide

You never had a 'hero' die then that has affected you? A Martin Luther King, or a Ghandi, or and Elvis, or a Bowie, or Lennon?

I cried my eyes out when John Lennon died and did so too when Groucho Marx died and Cary Grant and shed a tear for Bowie and Gene Wilder.

Has there been no-one who has created a great body of work you have admired that and that you have shed a tear for?

Rik Mayall.

Seriously, he was the funniest guy in the world to me, growing up. Idolised him. Probably not as glamorous as lamenting over a JFK, or an RFK or even a Bowie, but to me, Rik Mayall was a legend.

But yes, I tend not to idolise anyone anymore.

Nick

Administrator
I must be quite heartless, can't say I've ever physically been upset by somebody famous dying.

Obviously thought that it isn't nice, bad for the families etc but not physically been upset.

Macca

You never had a 'hero' die then that has affected you? A Martin Luther King, or a Ghandi, or and Elvis, or a Bowie, or Lennon?

I cried my eyes out when John Lennon died and did so too when Groucho Marx died and Cary Grant and shed a tear for Bowie and Gene Wilder.

Has there been no-one who has created a great body of work you have admired that and that you have shed a tear for?

God yes many heroes, and I've been sad to see them go. But hard ( for me) to feel anymore than that. They weren't close to me. They didn't know me, I didn't know them.
Not a blue print for everyone else just the way it is for me.
I think I struggle with the "grief" culture and bandwagon in the modern age but if the feelings are genuine like yours then I utterly respect that.

I loved John Lennons music immensely but by all accounts he was a bit of a c**t. Would I have liked him if I actually knew him?

Otis

God yes many heroes, and I've been sad to see them go. But hard ( for me) to feel anymore than that. They weren't close to me. They didn't know me, I didn't know them.
Not a blue print for everyone else just the way it is for me.
I think I struggle with the "grief" culture and bandwagon in the modern age but if the feelings are genuine like yours then I utterly respect that.

I loved John Lennons music immensely but by all accounts he was a bit of a c**t. Would I have liked him if I actually knew him?
Think I just get upset over those who formed a big part of my life.

Think I will be the same when Brian Wilson goes. 'God Only Knows' is one of the most beautiful song ever written to my mind and even the song itself brings a tear to my eye, so when he pops his clogs I am sure I will need to dry my eyes.

Some don't affect me so much, others affect me greatly.

Thing is, for me, it DOES feel like I know them.

ccfc92

I must be quite heartless, can't say I've ever physically been upset by somebody famous dying.

Obviously thought that it isn't nice, bad for the families etc but not physically been upset.

I wouldn't say you're heartless.

It's hard to be physically upset, especially if you didn't know them personally. How many times have you seen a death in the news, felt sorrow and compassion for the person and their family, then carried on with your day? It's just human nature. We block out death and avoid thinking about it, or at least the severity of what death actually means.

I'd be more concerned if you smiled or laughed at others death, now that would mean you're heartless :)

Users who are viewing this thread