Cause for optimism (1 Viewer)

Welshted

As a supporter since the late 1970s and certainly not defending SISU in any way as their management of the club has been disastrous, but can't help feeling that Mark Robins is the best man we can get at the mo and a lot of players will come through.
Burge should be OK at this level. The defence when everyone is fit picks itself and there is good youthful back up. We have a range of midfielders able to muck in, add speed and skill at any moment. The forward line looks promising and I hope that Maxime Diamou beds in at some point as I know that a Sutton supporter said that when they first signed him, he seemed off the pace, but got going a third of the season in. Kwame Thomas and Ponticelli also offer alternatives if we keep them. Andreu, once he gets up to speed looks a tasty option too. And only one loan player so far...
With the promise of a signing (or 2) to come before transfer deadline day and no one (bar Stevenson?) looking likely to go from the first-team squad picture, surely a decent manager and squad should have a good season in this league. Mind you this is Cov....

RegTheDonk

I agree that Robins is about as good as we're going to get at our current level of status and income: I believe in his past and current stint with us, he's got the best win ratio than any other manager since god knows when? So unless it all goes totally tits up, I'll put my trust in that he knows what he's doing and will eventually get the best out of his players. Other than understanding personal motivation, I'm not that clued up on what does or does not make a good footballer (their ability, their best position, how to adapt tactics and formations to suit them etc.). Apart from following City or watching world or euro cups finals, I'm not that fussed about the game.

vow

You make some very valid points Ted, my only concern is that Robins might be too stubborn to change formation from 4-2-3-1 to another one be that 4-4-2 or whatever.
Hope I'm wrong though and he can be successful with either.

pastythegreat

You make some very valid points Ted, my only concern is that Robins might be too stubborn to change formation from 4-2-3-1 to another one be that 4-4-2 or whatever.
Hope I'm wrong though and he can be successful with either.
Just like Mowbray. When 4231 worked, it worked well, when it didn't, he didn't change it. When he did FINALLY change it, it was too little too late.

I do think we'll be alright, promotion contenders? Not sure, but we'll be ok. I just think that automatically as a CCFC after a loss or 2 we can already see where it's going! We've seen it FAR TOO MANY times, season after season. Any other team (apart from Arsenal) would hold it together after a few losses, we'll bounce back, we'll be Ok! But as a city fan it's not easy.
My biggest concern is that MR has made some outrageous tactical decisions of late, mostly during the game subs etc. And it all seems to coincide with when his assistant went off sick. If this isn't a coincidence, how long until he's back? Can we find winning ways again without him?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Welshted

Yes the assistant manager missing is a bit of a worry as he has been with MR for so long. But I think MR seems to not panic, goes about things in a considered way and was quick to locate a temporary replacement. If it was Venus he would probably have done both jobs! Interesting to see Pearson going. Obviously thinks this Portsmouth lad is worth having... and maybe Carl Baker as well? Should be more than enough at this level and, to be frank, the squad looks much more balanced than it did last season when we were a division higher. Thought we might lose a lot of players over the summer (most clubs do when hitting rock bottom), but we seem to have clung on to some good ones and added quality too. Don't want to hex things, but before any signings were made, I really believed we could be a soft touch at this level and sink down out of the leagues. Now I am cautiously optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread